PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bay Says TMNT Remake Will Feature Alien Turtles

Robimus
03-19-2012, 10:14 AM
http://sciencefiction.com/2012/03/18/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-will-be-aliens/

Morgardee
03-19-2012, 10:37 AM
That is just uber lame. I understand the need to remake stuff, but the origin of the Turtles is just wrong. I'm sort of getting sick of people changing original works just to put their own spin on things. Case in point, aside from appealing to young males, was their really any point in turning Starbuck or Boomer into girls on BSG? Did it help the plot anyhow? Nope. Just someone trying to make something their own.

Robimus
03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
I can't say I agree with the BSG situation, it was quite different. The original BSG had pretty much no female characters on the BSG crew, which makes for limited story telling options. Making a couple of the characters female simply allowed for more mature story telling.

I totally think it did help the plot a great deal. For one thing it made Starbuck a defacto part of the Adama family due to her relationships with both Lee & his brother. Thus there was suddenly additional reasons for some of the other prominate characters to have increased emotions with regard to the character.

Look at the episode early on in Season 1 where Adama refuses to leave Starbuck behind because of how he feels about her on a personal level. If that was just Starbuck the pilot, with no personal connection, that episode can't even happen.

Now maybe they could have done that by adding new female characters but then I believe we would have ended up with them being pushed aside because they didn't have the name recognition. Particularly with Starbuck.

CTO15
03-19-2012, 11:33 AM
I didn't even realize he was doing a new TMNT

vujonny
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Lets riot

pud333
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
My problem with BSG wasn't with the changing of certain original characters or whatever. It was with BSG sucking overall after the first season and a half.

As for turtles... eh. Doesn't really bother me if they made them into aliens.

Onslaught
03-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Stupid. How are their titles as being Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles even relevant if this is the case? Sure they may look like turtles, but it doesn't make them turtles. It's almost like calling a Gundam a Transformer because some of them may look kind of similar.

Edit: I'm kind of thinking that their "titles" will now be more of a super hero codename or a media caused name for people who don't know what they are and figure, hey, shells, must be turtles.

On a side note, the Ninja Turtles were supposed to be red eared sliders, and knowing that made my slider happy. She'll be sad when I tell her that they've been retconned to be aliens.

vujonny
03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Wait Ain't a Gundam just a transformer that can't transform?
Oh well. Hopefully everything turns out ok

StarwarsTF
03-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Apparently everybody dressed up green in London, ON. and started rioting right away about the news Bay just announced!! :p

Toy Gremlin
03-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Say what?! They are going to be Alien turtles! :doh:

I wonder how this origin story is going to turnout.

tekkamanraiden
03-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Apparently everybody dressed up green in London, ON. and started rioting right away about the news Bay just announced!! :p

Gotta love Funshawe students.

Hantei
03-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Hmm, so they're no longer mutant turtles? Can't really call the movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles anymore...

Toy Gremlin
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Hmm, so they're no longer mutant turtles? Can't really call the movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles anymore...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Michael Bay made a post on his site and told fans to relax. He said the film will include everything that made us fans of TMNT in the first place.

I'm thinking there won't be a drastic change to the turtles origin story. So that's good.