PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus(Alien Prequel)

Robimus
03-20-2012, 02:17 AM
So I just found out tonight that Prometheus, directed by Ridley Scott, is actually a Prequel to Alien! My interest in the film just picked up :p

Apparently Ridley Scott has gone very old school for this film. It promises to be a film with a ton of visual effects but no CGI, all model work and the like just like the first Alien films were.

You can check out the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU

pud333
03-20-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't know if anyone ever said it was a prequel. I think it started out as one, then took on a life of it's own, but I think it's definitely a prequel. No Xenomorphs from what I could see, but there are "creatures" and you still see the ship and the space jockey from the 1st Alien movie.

Regardless, this looks phenomenal. I would like to see Ridley do a full on Alien movie with xenomorphs, mostly because I think only he can return that alien back to form and make it scary again. The Alien vs Predator movies totally neutered that beast.

Hantei
03-20-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't know if anyone ever said it was a prequel. I think it started out as one, then took on a life of it's own, but I think it's definitely a prequel.
That's what I've read as well. It certainly looks to be in the same universe as Weyland Industry (https://www.weylandindustries.com/) exists, along with the space Jockey, and crashed ship from Alien. Haha, it'll be cool if they do an easter egg/after credit scene tying the two movies.

Can't wait to see this! Dare I say that I'm more excited for this than either The Avengers or The Dark Knight Rises?

Really like this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

pud333
03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I'd agree on the excitement part. I am way more pumped for this than any other movies coming out. Ridley Scott does his best work in the sci-fi genre. His historical pieces are just okay. But sci-fi is where it's at.

Napseeker
03-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Oddly enough, all I've heard was that this is a prequel. I don't think there was any point where anyone suggested it wasn't one (at least not on AicN). Indeed, if you watch the official trailers closely, it's pretty clear that the space jockey's ship falls and crashes during what I assume is the climax of Prometheus and seems to end up in the same position that we first see it in ALIEN.

Zone55555
03-21-2012, 01:16 AM
They've been openly denying it's a prequel for a long time. Mostly, it seems, to try to play up the idea that it's its own story which could be considered separate from what the franchise became out of Ridley's hands.

Nevertheless those protestations are shown to be pure theatre by the details of the trailers. I don't know why they bother, people are going to see it regardless and a tie to Alien can only crank that expectation up higher.

It looks awesome, I'll be there the first showing possible.

Robimus
03-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Oddly enough, all I've heard was that this is a prequel. I don't think there was any point where anyone suggested it wasn't one (at least not on AicN). Indeed, if you watch the official trailers closely, it's pretty clear that the space jockey's ship falls and crashes during what I assume is the climax of Prometheus and seems to end up in the same position that we first see it in ALIEN.

See I never heard it was a prequel, but I admit I had very little interest in it when I figured it was just another Sci-Fi flick. I'm definitly going to watch it based on the Alien tie ins, where before I probably never would have.

Hantei
03-21-2012, 01:45 AM
I think what was meant was that it wasn't a direct prequel to Alien as it doesn't involve the aliens from that franchise. That's what I've read.

Robimus
03-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Yes, not the same aliens. Thats what I've been reading as well.

pud333
03-21-2012, 11:51 AM
I think what was meant was that it wasn't a direct prequel to Alien as it doesn't involve the aliens from that franchise. That's what I've read.

Yes. Most sites had it as a prequel, but not a prequel. As far as what I read. There was some confusion for a while, but in the end, I think everyone knows it's a prequel with no aliens. That said, I wouldn't put it past Ridley and crew to include Aliens as a surprise despite saying for months there are none in the film.

From the trailer, you can see some creature that looks like it has limbs strangely similar to the face hugger. So maybe we get those, or a predecessor to the face huggers. I'm guessing space jockeys play a pretty big role in this film - more than just the one that ends up in the Alien film.

Regardless, I am excited for this film.

Also, might I add this film looks beautiful. The art direction looks amazing. Sci-fi films don't get enough credit for the beautiful art and worlds they create. IMO, creating costumes and sets, etc. for sci-fi or fantasy is much more impressive than, oh, a victorian era period piece. That's amazing in its own right, and I know I am biased, but some sci-fi films really take it to another level, and this looks like another big hit in that regard.

CTO15
03-21-2012, 11:52 AM
I never really followed the Alien series, but that trailer was phenomenal. I will definitely add this to the list of movies to watch

Napseeker
03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes, not the same aliens. Thats what I've been reading as well.

Oh yeah, I did mean when I said prequel, that I'd heard it was a prequel to ALIEN minus (in large part) the Aliens themselves. That's what I meant, that it was a prequel to the ALIEN movie in that it was set in the same story universe and would simply explain more about the space jockeys.

I'm totally fine with that, I like the idea of exploring the jockeys some more even though there are those who understandably balk at the possibility of destroying the mystery of the SJ and their ship. Kind of like how the prequels ruined the vision in our own minds of what the Clone Wars might've been about when we first hear mention of it in ANH... now we know old Ben was referring a crappy time when you had bad dialogue, bad writing and acting, and CGI soldiers fighting CGI robots, rather than the grand war that was suggested.

Either way, after Prometheus, we'll certainly never look at the ALIEN film quite the same way again, given a lot of the mystery will now also go away.

pud333
03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
There certainly is a risk that people will just not like the explanation given for the SJ and the ship. I do find it appealing that we don't know much about the SJ, but at the same time this movie looks so damned cool, I think it's worth the risk. If it was anyone other than Scott, I'd have a problem with it, but since he did the original, I have faith in him.

Alien is one of my all time favorite horror/sci-fi films. I loved Aliens as well, but everything after, and especially the AVP movies, seemed to destroy the Alien mythology. Even though this won't have aliens, it's in the same world and hopefully Scott can breathe some life back into the mythology.

pud333
03-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Some nice screen grabs from the trailer. For the full gallary, go here. (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/28806)

No official "aliens," but here is a clear image of a xenomorph folks! Looks like a statue or wall image of some sort. :siren:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/timthumb.php?src=/photosizer/upload/2Prometheus1031912.jpg&w=600&zc=0

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/timthumb.php?src=/photosizer/upload/16Prometheus1031912.jpg&w=600&zc=0

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/timthumb.php?src=/photosizer/upload/17Prometheus1031912.jpg&w=600&zc=0

Napseeker
03-21-2012, 02:51 PM
I agree, I have faith that Ridley Scott won't pull a Lucas and screw things up (at least not as badly as Phantom Menace). He's managed to keep his directing skills as opposed to trying to become a movie mogul and run a merchandising empire. If anyone has to wreck the Aliens franchise, it ought to be him (or Cameron), and yeah, after the AvP debacles, it's hard to imagine him doing any worse.

pud333
03-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Just sayin': I'd like a Revoltech Space Jockey to go with my Revoltech Aliens. :)

bigbot79
03-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Can't wait, I think it will be a welcome addition to the franchise!

Hantei
06-10-2012, 12:47 AM
So, caught it on IMAX this afternoon (recommended version, 3D worked really well in it). It was very interesting. To be honest I wasn't sure what to expect. It didn't disappoint, but at the same time it didn't blow me away. Just very engaging, as in I really tuned in to understand the story, wanting to get the full grasp of what was happening. If that makes sense. I think hype may have oversold it for some people, as it did have a lot to live up to.

In any case, I'm very interested to see where they go in the sequel. Heh, gonna try to see this again on cheap Tuesday.

Oh and I want to throw this out there, half naked Charlize doing push-ups :D

BTW, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star... I think someone's copying Dead Space...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znSq-gI0pj4

Cpl. Chrissandwich
06-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I saw it Saturday. Loved it. Except for the ending...it came too soon lol. After my head exploded with all these theories on the xenos, predators, why the engineers wanted to kill us, and such. I hoping for a sequel!

pud333
06-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Awesome. Great film. I'd say definitely a worthy prequel to the whole Alien franchise.

Spoilers:

1) I loved all the questions it asked about us and our nature, and our creators, who one day decided for some inexplicable reason: Fuck those guys.

2) I thought it would come around full circle but I was wrong. In Alien, you see the space jockey sitting there with his chest already burst. I thought somehow the Jockey would get back and try to fly away in another ship, but then it bursts out of his chest and the ship crashes. Totally didn't happen. So... how did the other space jockey get there in Alien with his chest open? Maybe that chick made it to their home planet and those bio weapons were unleashed there, and a jockey was trying to escape, the alien burst out, ship crashed, then later the crew in the first Alien showed up? Maybe that jockey was from a separate station where they were creating those bio weapons and shit went wrong. I dunno.

3) Would that Space Jockey have woken up eventually if those humans had never found him? Probably.

4) They were in stasis for two years, but the nearest star to us is four light years away.

5) Charlize in skin tight outfits for most of the film. Yes.

6) That was one huge face hugger. I am always amazed at how big those things can get even though, in this particular case, there was clearly nothing for it to feast on during the time it was locked in that med lab.

7) Why did the Space Jockeys have such a hardon for us? What did we ever do to them?

8) When you're running away from a crashing space ship, try running to the left or right, instead of just straight. Kind of like when someone is trying to mow you down with their car. Try dodging.

9) How the heck did that geology guy get lost? Wasn't he the one that launched the scanners? Isn't all that in the display in his helmet? All he had to do was look up and there's a map for him to get out...

10) I knew the old man was on the ship. It's funny, but all this boils down to how some rich, selfish bastard didn't want to die.

11) So the Engineers made us, then decided to destroy us, and their plan was to concoct or use a biological weapon that infect us and kill us. I much prefer what we would have done if we ever decided to wipe out a planet. Just nuke the bastards and be done with it.

12) So who made the Engineers? Ridley Scott. That's who.

I could poke a lot more holes in the plot, but whatever. The character development was a bit weak, but again, whatever. I thought this was a great film, and what great sci-fi should be like. A bit of pseudo science with some action, special effects and big unanswerable questions. I really think if we were to discover something this big, it would only ever lead to more questions than answers. Such is life.

Really, this is a beautiful film to watch, with some genuinely scary moments - not jump out of your seat scary, but freaky scary, like the c-section scene. Which, by the way, there is no way she'd be running around after a c-section like that.

pud333
06-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Holy crap, I woke up this morning STILL thinking about Prometheus and the questions and concepts it explored. I'm going to have to see this movie again.

Also, I know I've said this before, but I NEED an in scale Space Jockey Revoltech to go with my Revoltech Aliens now more than ever!

Hantei
06-20-2012, 03:28 AM
Saw it again tonight. Just needed to see it one more time on big screen, heh, it should hold me till the Blu-ray (supposedly there's going to be ~20min added). I still feel the same way about it though, didn't find it mind blowing, but still enjoyed it. I must admit it still has me asking questions, pondering the possibilities, and looking up analyses.

SPOILERS:

The alien mural/shrine in the "tomb" behind the head is interesting. Did they create the alien race? Or discovered them and created the black ooze of death through extraction? Is that green jar thing its DNA?

This mural is also interesting, it was on the ceiling of the tomb when they first entered. (http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=302&pid=19564#top_display_media) Maybe a first generation alien? Maybe the aliens were a wild beast that the Engineers tamed? Or regarded as pets?

What killed all the engineers at that facility? An outbreak of their black ooze weapon? The pile of bodies Milburn and Fifield find, they mentioned how one of them had a bursted open chest, outbreak of the alien?

Why did Milburn keep trying to touch/friend the worm? Fifield was the only one with the right idea of staying away.

Vickers' death was terrible, I thought she didn't deserved to die since she really wasn't the villain. Though since she did, it should have been more memorable, maybe at the hands of the squid or engineer while in the life boat.

2) I thought it would come around full circle but I was wrong. In Alien, you see the space jockey sitting there with his chest already burst. I thought somehow the Jockey would get back and try to fly away in another ship, but then it bursts out of his chest and the ship crashes. Totally didn't happen. So... how did the other space jockey get there in Alien with his chest open? Maybe that chick made it to their home planet and those bio weapons were unleashed there, and a jockey was trying to escape, the alien burst out, ship crashed, then later the crew in the first Alien showed up? Maybe that jockey was from a separate station where they were creating those bio weapons and shit went wrong. I dunno.

I wondered the same thing first time I saw it. Supposedly the planet they're on in Prometheus (LV-223) is different from Alien (LV-426). Hence why the way it ended didn't lead directly to Alien. Another thing to consider is that the Jockey/Engineer in Alien was/looked fossilized, while the ones in Prometheus aren't (they looked well preserved, could be the atmosphere) and were determined to be about 2000 old. So maybe the one in Alien crash landed way before the events of Prometheus.

Also, I know I've said this before, but I NEED an in scale Space Jockey Revoltech to go with my Revoltech Aliens now more than ever!
NECA is making em! He should scale well with their Alien and Predator figures. I want both versions!

http://necaonline.com/34497/blog/press-releases/prometheus-has-landed/

http://i45.tinypic.com/35jjhgz.jpg