PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Rods

pattycakeman
03-29-2012, 06:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience working with Acrylic Rods, any tips on cutting them or connecting them together?

Also more importantly, does anyone know anywhere to purchase them for a decent price? I found them online a few places but they wont give me a shipping price until after i buy the items.

Thanks!

CTO15
03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
I know there is glue that was used for my acrylic case for my Tumbler. How big do you want them to be? (length, diameter?) I think some hobby shops (like model places) have acrylic rods

What are you making with the rods? Flight stands?

pattycakeman
03-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I was thinking about 1/4 inch in diameter and the length doesn't really matter, I can always cut then down so probably around 9 inches or so would work. I found some at a hobby shop, well not the size I needed but I'm sure they could order some, but they were about $ 15 for the pack, while the same pack online is about $ 5. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with any online hobby shops that might have them.

And as for my project, you guessed it right, flight stands. those import ones are so nice but I can justify $ 15 plus shipping for one. So if I get the raw materials for cheap then it shouldn't be too difficult to make my own.

CTO15
03-30-2012, 12:10 AM
how about craft stores like Michael's? They always have coupons in flyers and online, so if they do have them; you can luck out with their 40-50% off coupons

pattycakeman
03-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Tried michaels for them, they didn't carry them. But there is one more hobby shop on the way home from work I'm going to try, if that doesn't work out ill just suck it up and order online and hope the shipping doesn't kill me.

I still have to figure out what to use for the clips though. Any suggestions?

CTO15
03-30-2012, 01:40 AM
it may be tacky, but if you use some clear twists ties. Just make little grooves in the rods for the ties to grip on

CTO15
03-30-2012, 01:41 AM
another method I used to make some flight stands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYlqi73vDXY

pattycakeman
03-30-2012, 10:18 AM
The twist tie idea is a really good one, never would have thought of that, i had my mind set on actual clips.. i actually had an idea to use part of the plastic piece from the clips that hold christmas lights to the eaves.

Thanks for the link, i use something similar right now, althought this guy has a much better technique than me, using coat hangers for 6"/7" figures and floral stems for 3.75" figures. The 3.75" flight stands work really well but i have trouble with 7" figures when i try and go really high with them (think their feet 6"+ from the ground) or beasts (Think MOTUC like Buzz Off flying high, or Battle Cat leaping). The best way i could figure right now is to use multiple coat hanger stands but i tell you it looks ugly, and i just love the way those acrylic ones look thought it would be nicer in my display.

CTO15
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
If your display is anywhere near the ceiling, you could use ceiling hooks, and fishing line.

I have a bunch of stuff hanging

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/cto15/Overview/265ce9a8.jpg

pattycakeman
03-30-2012, 12:44 PM
I will always love that Tumbler case, Its just so damn awesome.

I've thought about using fishing line, but i dont have anything near the ceiling, I thought about hanging them from the shelf above but I'm worried about figures staying in place and not swinging around to have their backs facing.

I have never actually taken any pictures of my display but I have two of these...

http://i41.tinypic.com/e8a3gp.jpg

with two of the Ikea Detlof cabinets beside them

They are in my bonus room which has 16ft ceilings and my wife doesnt want anything on top of them. I ignored that request because my Unicron and Omega Supreme dont fit nicely into the Detlofs without taking up an entire shelf to themselves.

CTO15
03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Ah, those are very nice display cases. I guess you're only route is making long flight stands. You could maybe also use wood dowels, and then paint them if you are setting up dioramas