PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek Figs found at retail

Croaker
04-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I stopped in TRU (in Toronto) on my way home from work and I found the new Star Trek figures on the pegs.

The reason I didn't buy any (other than 3 new Universe TFs, DCUC - including all 4 two-packs, and my arms were full) is because the 3 3/4 figures don't come with the bridge accessories that they are supposed to.

THe 3 3/4 inch figs were $9.99 and the larger ones (6 inch?) were $14.99.
They appeared to have most of the different characters and the package was in English and French (I don't remember if it had spanish).

Now the interesting thing is the small figs come in a blister pack that tapers towards the top, meaning that there is tons of empty space in the bottom of the plastic - where the bridge accessories are supposed to go. ANd one tiny figure up top. THey come with a small accessory, like the tricorders on straps, and they also have a base in the shape of the Enterprise logo (just the triangular part - like the old playmates ones).

Now I don't know if they realized that the bridge playset they were planning to offer - just a big mat until you get all the figs with the pieces - was a bad idea, and pulled it until they make a real one or for some reason the bridge pieces were left out of the international packaging. The TRU that I was at didn't have any other roleplay, vehicle or playsets for sale.

There's no mention of the bridge pieces on the packaging, just the other accesories and the insignia shaped stand.

Also the likenesses are pretty poor.

But it is a sighting 9 days before the 'street date'.

It a shame because I wanted the bridge and the 3 3/4 inch figs - but I'll wait and see if they pulled teh bridge pieces from all of them or just Canada (and then order online from the US).

Robimus
04-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Are these figures for the new film? Or another retro set of some kind?

StarwarsTF
04-08-2009, 08:03 PM
These are based off the new movie and includes and "old aged Spock" figure. The whole series is POOR quality including the electronic weapons offered. Once again Playmates needs to stop making toys!

Croaker
04-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Yes, these are the ones from the new film. The release date of the toys is supposed to be the 19th of April.

FlightWeaponAlpha
04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Heya,

Which TRU in Toronto? Can I get an intersection?

I wasn't keen on the likenesses from the publicity photos, and the figures on the Playmates site don't look so hot, but I'll be damned if I don't start customizing these into the characters I wanted to see for this movie.

I find it hard to believe that they don't have the accessories, but I guess I'll wait to see what my on-line source says before I freak out too much.

Thanks for the info and the sighting news!!

Cheers.

pud333
04-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah, these don't look too good. I think Playmates is also doing the Terminator figures also. Those don't look much better either.:(

mrluthor
04-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I saw the 3 3/4" New Trek figures at ToysRUs in Windsor Ont, on Thursday. I did't buy them since I thought $9.99 was to much to pay. The paint on the figures looked like a 5 year old painted them. Unfortunatly it looks like Canada will not get the playsets or the 12" figures. I hope the movie is better than the toys I seen so far. I collected Star trek figures when Playmates first made them back in the 90's. I never liked the Art asylum/Diamond figures since I did not like their quality and miss matching colours and all the rare exclusives.

canprime
04-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Saw the 6" and 3 3/4" at a couple of TRUs and Walmarts today.

The TRUs also had the Enterprise, Transporter room and Bridge. However at $40-$50 each, I'll be waiting for the inevitable sale.

Also, yes the 3 3/4" figures don't come with the bridge accessories like they were supposed to, so they won't be getting my money on them.

vlad1138
04-14-2009, 08:59 AM
I spotted the whole line here in Rochester NY @ Walmart this morning, and yes the 3.75 figure do have the transporter pieces. The Tranporter playset set has not been seen yet though. The figs are going for $6.79 and $8.59 here for the 3.75 and 6 in respectively.

Spectre01
04-14-2009, 09:17 AM
I saw the 6" figures at Wal Mart in Mississauga for $12.99 last night.

mrluthor
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
I saw the 6" figures at Walmart superstore in Windsor. They looked a lot better than the 3" line almost as good as the Diamond figures.

Robimus
04-16-2009, 12:45 AM
I saw the 6" figures at Walmart superstore in Windsor. They looked a lot better than the 3" line almost as good as the Diamond figures.

Agreed.

I'm a little baffled as to why they would go with both sizes. The 12 inch for $2 more is a much nicer figure.

Croaker
04-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I was in NYC on the weekend and saw the Star trek figs. The 3 3/4 inch ones in the US do come with the bridge and transporter pieces.
I guess Canada and/or international just got screwed on this one.

Also - the bridge has 20 pieces that need to be bought to complete the whole thing (plus 4 for the transporter) Way too expensive!!

Robimus
04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
That is completely lame :(

What did the bridge peices not have french on them or something:p

mrluthor
04-23-2009, 11:57 PM
I finally saw the Phaser, Communicator and Tricorder props they looked ok to me. I have been reading bad reviews about what they looked like. I also saw the new Enterprise ship as well as the Transporter and Bridge playsets at Zellers in Windsor today. The next 3 inch figure wave is suppose to have the bridge parts that were not in the initial international shipments of 3 inch figures. So if you bought the figures at retail already you will have to buy them again in the fall ouch:(. I don't plan on buying any of these since I am laid off and am waiting for the movie to come out first. I think these figures will go on clearance before the fall first. There are to many other good movies tied to action figures that will be bigger hits with kids this year like Wolverine, Transformers and GI Joe. The only Star Trek figure I might buy is a 12 inch Nero which I will probably have to go to Detroit to get. I don't know what is Playmates reasoning to make three different size figures in this economy. If any one sees the 12 inch figures at Canadian retail post it here.

MomofTFfan
06-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Found 3 3/4 inch figures at Square One Zellers in Mississauga at a price cut. Going for $4.99. Since it has Price Cut can't take advantage of the 30% off clearance items. Sneaky little things. Also they had the Transporter playset at $10 off so now $39.99 which I think is still a bit pricey since it's also a Price cut. Will wait for it to go cheaper. It does come with a Scotty figure. But I figured if I never find it cheaper I'd better still get Scotty for my son. I found everyone but Christopher Pike. The bigger ones were also Price Cut but only by $2 and they only had 2 figures.