PDA

View Full Version : Fan Expo Vancouver: April 20th & 21st 2013

Robimus
12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Fan Expo Vancouver returns this year with a huge event set for this coming weekend. Hundreds of celebrities, artists, vendros and more will be onhand inlcuding names the like of Stan Lee, Dave Prowse, Tia Carrerre, Michael Rooker & Neal Adams just to name a few.

Be sure to check the Fanexpo Vancouver website for ticket information as they are going fast!

Toy Gremlin
12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
The Fan Expo Vancouver website has been updated! They now have some information on guests and ticket prices for next year's event!

Fan Expo Vancouver 2013:
April 20-21

Ticket Information:
http://www.fanexpovancouver.com/tickets

Guests:
http://www.fanexpovancouver.com/guests

Toy Gremlin
12-13-2012, 05:02 PM
I noticed that the ticket prices have increased. :(

2012 Ticket information:
Basic: $20 for a single day pass

Deluxe: $30 for a 2 day pass

2013 Ticket information:
Basic: $30 for a single day pass

Deluxe: $49 for a 2 day pass

For 2013, they've also added a premium pass:

$79 for a 2 day pass that includes:

Fan Expo Vancouver T-Shirt
The Fan Expo Vancouver Bag
Fan Expo Vancouver Collectible Badge
Exclusive Entrance
Exclusive Ticket Counter

Is this worth getting?

Toy Gremlin
12-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Stan Lee is coming to Vancouver! He is a guest at Fan Expo Vancouver 2013!!:clapping::D

pud333
12-13-2012, 11:36 PM
BOOOO!!!

Ah, WTF. I guess that's what happens when it turns out to be more popular than expected. But Stan Lee? Awesome. I had a lot of fun last time, so I'm totally up for it again. I just don't know if I'd get the weekend pass. The $79 package is not worth getting, IMO. You'll get a Tshirt you'd probably only wear during laundry day, a badge that you'd... never wear. Exclusive Entrance and ticket counter seem pointless. It would be better if they offered an exclusive action figure with that package... maybe when the expo gets bigger they can have exclusive toys, haha.

Toy Gremlin
12-14-2012, 01:25 AM
BOOOO!!!

Ah, WTF. I guess that's what happens when it turns out to be more popular than expected. But Stan Lee? Awesome. I had a lot of fun last time, so I'm totally up for it again. I just don't know if I'd get the weekend pass. The $79 package is not worth getting, IMO. You'll get a Tshirt you'd probably only wear during laundry day, a badge that you'd... never wear. Exclusive Entrance and ticket counter seem pointless. It would be better if they offered an exclusive action figure with that package... maybe when the expo gets bigger they can have exclusive toys, haha.

Yeah, it sucks that they raised the ticket prices.:( I don't think I'll get the weekend pass either. Most likely I'll just go on the Saturday again unless they have some awesome panel that I want to attend on the Sunday.

The $79 premium pass is kind of weak. The stuff they included so far isn't what I expected with a premium pass. I agree with you on the exclusive figure. It would have been awesome if they had one.:D I was also thinking along the lines that the pass would include an autograph and or photo with a celebrity guest of your choosing. I would definitely pay $79 for that. :D

Toy Gremlin
01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Here is the list of guests that will be showing up at Fan Expo Vancouver 2013 so far:

Celebrity Guests:

Stan Lee
Elvira (Cassandra Peterson)
James Marsters
Juliet Landau
Sean Astin
Norman Reedus
Sean Patrick Flanery
David Prowse

Comic Guests:

Neal Adams
Shane Davis
Bob Layton
Alex Maleev
Steve Epting
David Finch

Toy Gremlin
01-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Here are the new guests added to the list of people showing up at Fan Expo Vancouver 2013:

Celebrities:
TOM FELTON
DANIEL LOGAN
JONATHAN FRAKES
TIA CARRERE
MICHAEL HOGAN
J.P. MANOUX
VICTOR LUCAS
SCOTT JONES

Anime Guests:
BRAD SWAILE

Comic Guests:
KAARE ANDREWS
ROBERT BAILEY
Shane Davis (CANCELLED)
PIA GUERRA
PHIL JIMENEZ
STEPHEN PLATT
STEPHEN SADOWSKI
DOUG SNEYD

IAN BOOTHBY
ED BRISSON
JASON COPLAND
REBECCA DART
BRIAN EVINOU
NATHAN FAIRBAIRN
JULIE FAULKNER
CAANAN GRALL
DIANA GREENHALGH
NINA MATSUMOTO
TREVOR METZ
STEVE ROLSTON
SHANE ROOKS
MARLEY ZARCONE

pud333
03-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Hmmm... the guest list isn't that hot. Shame Davis cancelled, but I'd be interested in Finch, Adams and Pia. I'll still be there I think. Maybe just for one day. Last year I sort of went there without a plan. This year, I'll be going there with a specific list of things I want to try and buy.

Toy Gremlin
03-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Hmmm... the guest list isn't that hot. Shame Davis cancelled, but I'd be interested in Finch, Adams and Pia. I'll still be there I think. Maybe just for one day. Last year I sort of went there without a plan. This year, I'll be going there with a specific list of things I want to try and buy.

Yeah, I agree. I think the guest list last year was better at least for comic artists. I'll most likely go for Finch, Adams, Epting, and Jimenez. I have blank comic covers for each one of those guys to doodle on. LOL! I'm just wondering how much they will be charging for commission (if they do commission at all). :D And of course, gotta see Stan Lee (hopefully).

Yeah, a plan really comes in handy. I had a plan last year and it worked out quite well. :D I just wish Fan Expo Vancouver would hurry up with their schedule though. I need to plan on which day to attend.

Toy Gremlin
03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Apparently they will also have a Back to the Future DeLorean at Fan Expo Vancouver this year. :D

pud333
03-18-2013, 11:33 PM
When it comes to the artists, do you know if they charge to sign books that I own and want signed?

Toy Gremlin
03-18-2013, 11:50 PM
When it comes to the artists, do you know if they charge to sign books that I own and want signed?

From my experience last year, artists do not usually charge for signing your books/comics. They only charge for commissions and their merchandise. There are some exceptions though. If the guest is also considered a celebrity, then they will most likely charge for their signature i.e. Stan Lee.

Just to be on the safe side, you should probably ask the artist before you get him/her to sign your stuff. That's what I did last year. If you have twitter or facebook, tweet or make a post on their twitter or facebook page before the convention and usually they will respond back.

pud333
03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Yah that makes sense. Thanks.

Robimus
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
You will probably be pretty safe. Like 99% of artists don't charge for autogrpahes.

Just the huge names can get away with that.

pud333
03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Cool. Looks like I'll be packing some books to get signed.

pud333
04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Nevermind. Paid for the weekend. :)

Toy Gremlin
04-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Fan Expo Vancouver 2013 is NEXT WEEK!! :clapping:

The schedule is already up so go check it out!

Cool. Looks like I'll be packing some books to get signed.

Same here! My backpack is going to be pretty heavy! LOL! Guess it will be a good time to pack those blank cover comics that I have collected over the past few months.

Nevermind. Paid for the weekend. :)
Checked the schedule and I think I will only go for the Saturday. Nothing really interests me on the Sunday.

Toy Gremlin
04-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Does anybody know how the celebrity autograph thing works?

I would like to know if I have to bring something for the celebrity guest to sign or will they have a photograph of themselves that they will autograph for you once you paid the autograph fee. :confused:

Robimus
04-12-2013, 12:06 PM
They will have 8 by 10 pictures they include in the autograph fee.

Most celebs have multiple different pictures featuring their different characters from different series. Sometimes multiples of their most prominate role as well.

Toy Gremlin
04-13-2013, 02:48 AM
They will have 8 by 10 pictures they include in the autograph fee.

Most celebs have multiple different pictures featuring their different characters from different series. Sometimes multiples of their most prominate role as well.

Cool! Thanks for the info! I wanted Stan Lee's autograph, but wasn't sure if he had a picture that he would sign.

pud333
04-14-2013, 01:33 AM
It turns out I can't go both days after all. The good news is, they were kind enough to refund me my money and I bought just for Sunday instead. I totally forgot a friend was coming in from out of town, and us guys promised to take care of the kids while the girls got to go to the salon for the afternoon. Grrr. I can't believe I agreed to that on that freaking weekend! Ah well.

I don't care for the celebrity guests, but I'm going to probably be comic hunting most of the day. Try to find some older trades, etc., considering how many comic stores will be there all at once. Last year I sort of wandered without a clue, but this year I have more of a plan. Got a list of books and stuff I want. :)

Toy Gremlin
04-14-2013, 06:07 AM
It turns out I can't go both days after all. The good news is, they were kind enough to refund me my money and I bought just for Sunday instead. I totally forgot a friend was coming in from out of town, and us guys promised to take care of the kids while the girls got to go to the salon for the afternoon. Grrr. I can't believe I agreed to that on that freaking weekend! Ah well.

I don't care for the celebrity guests, but I'm going to probably be comic hunting most of the day. Try to find some older trades, etc., considering how many comic stores will be there all at once. Last year I sort of wandered without a clue, but this year I have more of a plan. Got a list of books and stuff I want. :)

That kind of sucks that you won't be going for both days. :( It was pretty cool of them to give you a refund though.:highfive:

The only celebrity guest I would line up and pay for an autograph is Stan Lee. For the most part, I'm going there to meet the artists and see the panels. So it's pretty much me bringing a bunch of stuff for them to sign or draw on. LOL! :p

Toy Gremlin
04-14-2013, 06:18 AM
The Fan Expo Vancouver folks have added another event on their site. It's the limited Meet & Greet Session with Stan Lee. There will be 2 sessions and both are held at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel:

Session 1: 7:30PM Friday, April 19th (Ticket Price: $199.99)

Session 2: 8:00AM Saturday, April 20th (Ticket Price: $179.99)

For those who want to partake in the Limited Meet & Greet with Stan Lee sessions, you will need to buy tickets for it. These aren't cheap and they are separate from the admissions fee to the convention. So if you want to go to the session and to the convention, you have to pay for both.

Here is more info on the Meet & Greet:

• Private Function limited to 100 people per session

• Photo Op with Stan Lee (with your own camera)

• Stan Lee will sign 1 autograph per paid attendee at the meet & greet session

• Exclusive presentation by Stan Lee

• Refreshments and light food will be served

• Kids Free Coupon NOT VALID at the Meet & Greet sessions

pud333
04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
That kind of sucks that you won't be going for both days. :( It was pretty cool of them to give you a refund though.:highfive:

Yeah. They said no refunds on the site, but I emailed them and explained the situation and offerred to buy the Sunday ticket first before they refunded. So they asked me to send them the new confirmation number and they reversed the old one.

At any rate, there's not many events like this in Vancouver, so it's always a treat to go.

Toy Gremlin
04-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Yeah. They said no refunds on the site, but I emailed them and explained the situation and offerred to buy the Sunday ticket first before they refunded. So they asked me to send them the new confirmation number and they reversed the old one.

At any rate, there's not many events like this in Vancouver, so it's always a treat to go.

That is really cool of them to do that! Congrats on the refund!

Yeah, I totally agree. Since I don't travel to other major conventions, it is the only place I get to meet the big name comic artists. I kept my old comics in good condition hoping one day I would finally get to meet some of the artists. With Fan Expo, I will be able to!

I am hoping at some point Fan Expo Vancouver will bring in:
Greg Capullo
Todd McFarlane
Marc Silvestri
Jim Lee
Amanda Conner
Just to name a few! :D

pud333
04-14-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm sure they will eventually. Just needs to get big enough.

Unfortunately I have no old comics anymore. I had a couple long boxes of Marvel and DC, with stuff like the first appearance of Venom, Gambit, Carnage, etc. Some pretty cool stuff. My mom sold the entire box for $25 when I was away at university. Still pissed about that.

cloud
04-15-2013, 01:13 AM
This year, I'm looking forward to have James Marsters sign my Picollo figure packaging box.

I'm hoping that Fan Expo Vancouver would be big enough to invite some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles related guest.

Toy Gremlin
04-15-2013, 03:11 AM
I'm sure they will eventually. Just needs to get big enough.

Unfortunately I have no old comics anymore. I had a couple long boxes of Marvel and DC, with stuff like the first appearance of Venom, Gambit, Carnage, etc. Some pretty cool stuff. My mom sold the entire box for $25 when I was away at university. Still pissed about that.

Oh no! That sucks! :( I made sure to hide my collection from my parents back in the days. I knew if they found it they would junk it. They considered it to be "waste of space".

My collection is composed mostly of Image Comics and some random stuff. Looking back, I was kind of surprised that I didn't have that many Marvel or DC comics.

Robimus
04-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Fan Expo Vancouver returns this year with a huge event set for this coming weekend. Hundreds of celebrities, artists, vendros and more will be onhand inlcuding names the like of Stan Lee, Dave Prowse, Tia Carrerre, Michael Rooker & Neal Adams just to name a few.

Tickets will be available on site at the Vancouver Convention Center, or online.

Toy Gremlin
04-17-2013, 10:08 PM

Tickets will be available on site at the Vancouver Convention Center, or online.

Advance tickets for Saturday is sold out! So for those who haven't bought their Saturday tickets online. You have to go lineup on Saturday.

On another note, my local TRU just got in the Mattel Batman Unlimited Wave 1 so I bought the Batman for David Finch to sign. :D

Robimus
04-18-2013, 12:11 AM
We will get this frontpaged soon. I'm just having some technical difficulties :p

Hantei
04-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Cool! Thanks for the info! I wanted Stan Lee's autograph, but wasn't sure if he had a picture that he would sign.
For the Stan Lee autograph, you'll probably want to bring something for him to sign. Last year at the Calgary Expo I don't recall seeing him having anything. It was pretty much just people bringing their own thing to get signed (limited to one per "ticket/session"). To be honest, it doesn't really seem all that worth while unless you got some of value to get signed (you barely get to say hi to the guy). I'd personally go for the photo op instead.

Sidenote: I just found out that the Calgary Expo's show has been completely sold out, and they won't be selling any tickets at the show itself. So basically if you don't have a ticket, don't bother going. I was just looking at Kijiji earlier and it's getting pretty out of hand. Heh, this could be you one year Fan Expo.

Robimus
04-18-2013, 01:28 AM
That is not cool for Calgary.

I sense another mess coming on.

Toy Gremlin
04-18-2013, 01:57 AM
For the Stan Lee autograph, you'll probably want to bring something for him to sign. Last year at the Calgary Expo I don't recall seeing him having anything. It was pretty much just people bringing their own thing to get signed (limited to one per "ticket/session"). To be honest, it doesn't really seem all that worth while unless you got some of value to get signed (you barely get to say hi to the guy). I'd personally go for the photo op instead.

Sidenote: I just found out that the Calgary Expo's show has been completely sold out, and they won't be selling any tickets at the show itself. So basically if you don't have a ticket, don't bother going. I was just looking at Kijiji earlier and it's getting pretty out of hand. Heh, this could be you one year Fan Expo.

Damn, I got nothing for him to sign! :( I was hoping he had a picture of himself so he can sign that like all those celebrities.

Toy Gremlin
04-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Fan Expo Vancouver starts tomorrow! :clapping:

Toy Gremlin
04-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Gotta say the lineups r way longer than last year! Anybody still waiting in line?

Robimus
04-21-2013, 02:34 AM
Did you get what you were looking for?

Toy Gremlin
04-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Did you get what you were looking for?

Yes, I did and more! LOL! Here is pretty much what I got. I'm too tired at the moment to do a haul video and edit it (will have one up in a few days though). :p

Thanks for the advice Hantei! I brought a book for Stan Lee to sign (since he didn't have any pictures of himself to autograph). Lined up for 5 mins and got his autograph! It was the fastest line I have ever been in at Fan Expo. :D

Got Steve Epting and David Finch to sign some comics. I also got David Finch to sign the Wave 1 Batman Unlimited figure. ;)

Visited the Aspen comic booth and got a few exclusives. The artists and writers were pretty cool and signed them all for me! I also got a Wonder Woman sketch from Siya Oum! :clapping:

I picked up some comics from Taz Comics that I couldn't get from my local comic shop.

Lastly, I got to attend some cool panels! Most notable ones are Q&A with Stan Lee and Continuum. For the Continuum panel, I got a card that all the cast members in attendance signed. :D

Besides waiting an hour in the massive lineup just to get into the convention centre, it was a pretty good Fan Expo!

Toy Gremlin
04-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Here is some stuff I noticed while attending Fan Expo on Saturday.

Show up early or you will be stuck waiting in line outside for awhile. At one point, the end of the line got pretty close to the beginning of the line. :eek:

Food areas in the convention center gets pretty crowded.

David Finch will most likely have a lineup to see him.

I believe Neal Adams charges for autographs.

LEGO has nice displays, but no exclusives or giveaways besides the free club magazine.

There are some vendors there that are selling ML Wave 3 and Wave 4 (they have Arch Angel there as well).

That is what I can recall at the moment. :p

pud333
04-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Showed up a little after 10 and I just walked right in. Definitely not as busy as yesterday according to the vendors.

I basically picked up some discounted trades I have been searching a while for. Still fun just walking around and seeing all the people. Time to get food.

pud333
04-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Looks like Fan Expo this year had a third more people show up than last year. Also, they're talking about expanding it to three days next year. That's interesting. Hopefully we'll get bigger names next year. I'd like to see bigger comic names. Saw that Finch had a consistant lineup. Would be nice to have more artists and/or writers of at least his caliber next year.

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/642421/visitors-have-a-sci-fine-old-time-at-fan-expo-vancouver/

Toy Gremlin
04-23-2013, 02:04 AM
Looks like Fan Expo this year had a third more people show up than last year. Also, they're talking about expanding it to three days next year. That's interesting. Hopefully we'll get bigger names next year. I'd like to see bigger comic names. Saw that Finch had a consistant lineup. Would be nice to have more artists and/or writers of at least his caliber next year.

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/642421/visitors-have-a-sci-fine-old-time-at-fan-expo-vancouver/

Yeah, I think 3 days would be good. I agree. Hopefully, we can get more big name comic artists next year. Finch's lineup was constant until near the end of the day.

I have to agree with all those posts on their Facebook page about the lineups though. That is one thing they really need to work on for next year. The line on Saturday was really messed up and some advance ticket holders weren't even able to get in. Hence, they were honoring those unredeemed Saturday tickets on Sunday. Glad they fixed some of the lineup issues for Sunday though.

Toy Gremlin
04-23-2013, 02:24 AM
So for those who also went to Fan Expo Vancouver, did you guys enjoy the show? What kind of haul did you get?

cloud
04-23-2013, 03:28 AM
I was rather disappointed with LEGO and thought it was a missed opportunity.
The display was something very standard for a Con/Expo display but other than those wall art there's nothing exhibited there and nothing fun to do. It's just a waste of space.

Toy Gremlin
04-26-2013, 01:31 AM
I was rather disappointed with LEGO and thought it was a missed opportunity.
The display was something very standard for a Con/Expo display but other than those wall art there's nothing exhibited there and nothing fun to do. It's just a waste of space.

I agree. I was totally expecting something more. :(