PDA

View Full Version : Comics

JTCh
04-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Okay, here are probably some stupid questions about comics. First I know nothing about them and would like to get some answers on some things I am curious about.

1. I see each "issue" has a number following it, so does that mean you have to start with #1? Because some of the numbers are really high!

2. What is the general cost of comics? I am looking at the Marvel ones.

3. Can you just dive into them with little previous knowledge on the characters and story line, and still enjoy it? Without getting lost?

Thanks!

Robimus
04-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Good question.

I'm not the traditional comic buyer. I focus on Star Wars and Transformers for the last couple years.

Price per comic for IDW is about $4 each while Darkhorse is more like $3 each. Generally you can subscribe to whatever series you like at a comic shop and get a 25% discount.

That basically covers the exchange from the USA now, though it was way better when out $$$$$'s were at par:(

Both Star Wars and Transformers seem to focus on smaller story arcs that one could get into without knowing anything else about them. I don't know how the superhero books work though.

One route to go if your looking to get into an established series would be to get the Trade Paperbacks. These are books which incorporate 5 or 6 comics from one series, generally in order of release.

Thats all I can offer. I'm sure someone else might have more info than that though.

-KG-
04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
One route to go if your looking to get into an established series would be to get the Trade Paperbacks. These are books which incorporate 5 or 6 comics from one series, generally in order of release.

This is the best way to go. I find it difficult to follow a story from month to month and usually forget what's happened in the last issue. Not to mention if you forget to buy a comic in any given month, or if you're lucking enough to find one at the beginning of a story arc.

HumanEraser LS-02
04-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Okay, here are probably some stupid questions about comics. First I know nothing about them and would like to get some answers on some things I am curious about.

1. I see each "issue" has a number following it, so does that mean you have to start with #1? Because some of the numbers are really high!

Nowadays, with comics being more arc-based and with tie-ins to events, it can be hard to follow at times. Marvel Comics usually include little text recaps at the start of their comics.

2. What is the general cost of comics? I am looking at the Marvel ones.

It seems that Marvel's titles are being bumped up to $3.99 each. A lot of comic fans are complaining about this development.

3. Can you just dive into them with little previous knowledge on the characters and story line, and still enjoy it? Without getting lost?

Thanks!

For characters with lots of backstory behind them, it's good to hunt down TPBs of old issues, as they might provide info. Comic stores may also have back issues as well.

Hopefully that helped. ;)

JTCh
04-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to go check out some trade paperbacks then.

Another question, is each issue released on a monthly basis? And then they get "discontinued" after that month?

HumanEraser LS-02
04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
New issues come out each month, with some exceptions (Amazing Spider-Man from Marvel comes out three times a month, on a weekly basis). Older issues are placed in a "back issue archive".

jourdo
04-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Something that help me get back into things was hitting up the local library. Ours carries a fair number of trades and lets you sample certain stories/characters without the financial investment.

Once you find what you like, I would personally stick to the trades. I like rereading story arcs every now and again and I find it easier to have it in one book versus 5 or 6 individual issues.

Also, the trades tend to be cheaper than the individual issues... figure that one out.

JTCh
04-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Something that help me get back into things was hitting up the local library. Ours carries a fair number of trades and lets you sample certain stories/characters without the financial investment.

Once you find what you like, I would personally stick to the trades. I like rereading story arcs every now and again and I find it easier to have it in one book versus 5 or 6 individual issues.

Also, the trades tend to be cheaper than the individual issues... figure that one out.

Good idea! I will check out the local library this weekend to see if they have anything!:)