PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine: yay or nay?

pud333
05-06-2009, 05:32 PM
So I was wondering what people thought of the Wolverine movie. IMO, on a scale of X1 to X3, I'd say it's closer to X3. It aint the abomination that X3 was, but it's pretty close.

Warning: This post is going to be SPOILERIFIC, so for those who haven't seen it, you should probably stop reading.

First, I'd just like to say that I'm all for reinvention and reinterpretation of source material. Nothing is sacred to me when it comes to art and one's interpretation of it. I personally have no interest in seeing an exact retelling of the original comics, cause that's boring. If I wanted to experience the exact same thing, I'd have saved my $12 and stayed home with my comics.

That being said, Wolverine was piss poor execution. I had no real problems with the plot they chose, or even the raping of Deadpool (I personally never had much of a connection to the character. Just thought he looked cool). But I had major problems with the wooden acting, the CG which looked terrible at times, and the crappy set pieces amongst a host of other problems.

I think they glossed over the best part of the Victor/Logan relationship, which was right in the opening credits. Personally, I would liked to have seen more of a "Batman Begins" approach, where for the first hour, we would see Victor and Logan grow up, go through the various wars, and really develop. Basically make Wolverine a period piece. Show how they bonded through the decades. Then go into the weapon x stuff in the latter half of the film.

Wolverine, as he is, is a pretty flat one dimensional character. They had a golden opportunity to flesh him out and also give him a real nemesis in developing Victor as a real killer that becomes unhinged over time. Instead, we get some bad claws and action that, at times, made absolutely no sense. (eg: Why would Gambit stay and fight when he clearly sees Wolverine and Victor in the Alley? He gets punched out, then next he's running on a rooftop and blowing shit up? What? I've never known Gambit to be confrontational. Instead, he probably would have snuck out while the other two were disembowling each other.)

There were some good parts though, but tell you the truth, I saw the film only last night, but I can't remember much about it today. That probably says everything. I hope Star Trek and Terminator are better.

Robimus
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm gonna go see this soon, but then I liked X3 and hated the first film....go figure;)

As long as Wolverine doesn't come across as a wanna be Dirty Harry I should be alright with it.:)

counteresperanto
05-07-2009, 03:14 AM
Not a big fan of Wolverine to begin with, so I went into this with my expectations low. When it was over, I think my expectations were not quite met.

I only saw X3 once, in the theatre, so it's difficult to recall exactly just how bad it was. I do know I didn't like it though, and that is pretty much how I feel about this one, too.

pud333
05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I only saw X3 once too. The only thing I clearly remember about that film is the realisation afterwards on the way home that I just lost a couple hours of my life that day that I could never get back again. :mad:

HumanEraser LS-02
05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Saw it, and I only got a chuckle out of the "I'm Canadian" bit. Other than that, did not enjoy it.

Robimus
05-30-2009, 03:02 AM
I'd actually say I liked it for what it was, but I had low expectations to start off.

I liked the Sabertooth/Wolverine backstory knowing nothing of the comics that came before and what not.

Forcing Cyclops and the Professor(ala piss poor CGI no less) was a poor idea. Making for way too many characters on the screen at one time. Logan saving them all kinda makes them less in a way.

Gambit needed a cheesey accent......in fact he had no real part in the story, another forced character in my opinion. Marketing.....:(

So yeah I liked the basics of the film, the military unit Logan and his brother joined and its on going story with Striker through the film. Everything else just served no real purpose.

My biggest complaint is how poorly this fits together with the rest of the films. In this case less continuity would have been more. As it is this film stands too far apart from the others in a continuity of its own.

This Wolverine & Sabertooth losing their memories thing is just too cheesey. My suspension of disbeleif can't leap that far:p

Yet I look forward to Magneto's Origin...hopefully they make it simpler than they made this one.

pud333
06-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Forcing Cyclops and the Professor(ala piss poor CGI no less) was a poor idea. Making for way too many characters on the screen at one time. Logan saving them all kinda makes them less in a way.

Gambit needed a cheesey accent......in fact he had no real part in the story, another forced character in my opinion. Marketing.....:(

Too many mutants seems to be a general theme to superhero movies the more sequels come out, making films bigger, but not better.

I found the whole story in general to be a bit forced and "manufactured."

Beechy
06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
The movie was good, the game kicks ass in whole new ways. Pretty much as almost nothing to do with the movie storyline.

TSHawkeye
09-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I thought it was ok, nothing special. Im the one guy that loved X3 i guess