PDA

View Full Version : More on the demise of Star Wars Titanium and Star Wars Mighty Muggs

Robimus
05-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks to a question posed by Rebelscum we now have a bit more information about the death of both the Titanium and Star Wars Mighty Muggs.

Both lines are winding down for the same reason: diminished interest in these formats compared to anything else in the Star Wars lineup. While both started strong - and Titanium in particular has had an AMAZING 5-1/2 year run - interest had waned since the original launches. Actually, the two lines diverged significantly in a couple areas. Mighty Muggs were faster and simpler to develop, but we were dipping down into characters that consumers did not seem to care for in the vinyl format, and many fans who initially were excited about the concept either did not have the room to continue to pursue or decided that they had had enough. Titanium was more difficult to develop, was subject to pricing volatility given the metal component, and needed a significant amount of new tooling to keep it interesting. Both of them, because of the extremely high item count needed to sustain their sales, were less important than the need to refocus our design team elsewhere on new initiatives.

Apparently the Mighty Muggs will continue as TRU exclusives for the next year or so and then pass into toy heaven.........

Cemetary Man
05-09-2009, 02:59 AM
lame. The latest wave of SW Muggs are actually pretty cool.

canprime
05-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Still soooo many ships that could have been done in the Titanium line. :(

I think part of the problem in the titanium line is the lack of imagination with repaints. That, and a complete miss on some easy repaints as well. Too many times there was a "battle damaged" repaint while simple "canon" repaints such as the first vulture droid (ep. 1) and first droid battle ship (ep. 1) were never done in favour of "new" colour schemes or battle damage.

lars573
05-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Good, Mighty Muggs are a waste of plastic.

counteresperanto
05-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Good, Mighty Muggs are a waste of plastic.

Have to agree with this. I can't even begin to guess what the appeal of these things are.

lars573
05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
WTF@TFW called them "Hipster Garbage." So kitsh is the appeal I guess.

Robimus
05-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't really know anyone who got into these except for my friend's son who's seven..and he only has three of them.

I've picked up a few with the hopes of flipping or trading for something better.

I think the bottom line is that if a company stamps Star Wars on anything they think it will sell.

See the Star Wars Marbs:p for the latest example.