PDA

View Full Version : What to do? An Opinion Thread

Stryfe2025
03-15-2010, 01:57 PM
SO, I have a problem.

I'm currently collecting several series (Lego, CW,Marvel, ROC) and I'm finding that with the rising costs of toys I can't keep collecting everything.
Especially with all the new MArvel and POC figures out this year...It's getting to be a bit overwhelming.
So, personal opinions?
What should I look at giving up?
If it helps, I'm fine with reselling certain Lego sets.

Super_Megatron
03-15-2010, 02:06 PM
What is your favorite line? Number them in order 1-4. that should help answer your question.

Stryfe2025
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
I feel my listing is as follows;

1-Marvel
2-Star Wars lego
3-Clone Wars
4-ROC

Super_Megatron
03-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Try dropping ROC then or cutting back on ROC and Clone Wars.

Quantum
03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Then I guess start by dropping number 4 and see if that frees up enough to continue collecting the first three. Or, if you want to keep collecting them all, you'll have to be picky as to what you get over the year. You could also go through your existing collection and re-evaluate what you want to keep and what you would consider selling to create more money for newer toys.

Ultimately though, it's up to you and how you want to scale back.

pud333
03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
I've had the same problem. Up until a month ago, I used to collect Revoltech, CW, MU, DCIH, DCUC, Joes, Super Powers, Transformers. That's a lot of lines. I was also a MOC collector.

I can't really tell you what to collect or not, that's up to you, but what I did was:

- Sold some of my MOC. Just no point.
- Dropped Transformers and CW. With CW, I really liked the clones, but I knew army building would cost a ton, so I got out while I could and sold 'em all before I got too attached to the line. With Transformers, it was an easy decision.
- Super Powers is easy, because the line no longer exists, so there's a limited number of figures I would buy.
- DCIH - tired of the lack of articulation. I'll only buy figures that have the new articulation.
- With Joes, I only collected 25th anniversary, so now that they stopped and will probably start up with the 30th anniversary, I have bought myself some time to save money.
- For the rest, I decided I would no longer buy figures based on how cool they were. I only buy based on what kind of meaning it has to me, in terms of childhood nostalgia, etc.

Haggis
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
I have teh same problem, but i've cut back, I haven't gotten a transformer since june longer since i got some magic:the gathering, and i've limited what i get from Star war, and i only get Cobra commanders and Destros form GI JOes

Stryfe2025
03-15-2010, 04:06 PM
See, I also collect Lego Atlantis, Space Police, Power iners...Et al.
SO, I do really need to cut back.
But Marvel U and IM2 and all that are SO addictive.

Quantum
03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
As it stands, I collect 2 lines: DCUC/DCSH and Transformers classics/universe 2.0/whatever the new line will be called. Makes it easier to maintain.

Banshee
03-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I've also cut back a lot. Right now it's Iron Man 2, and TF Human Alliance.

The only cheating is maybe one MU fig per wave. :p

TFtoys
03-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Try not to follow the sales as well.... try to avoid anything would make you want to buy more when you see them half price in ROC.

--------
Or Compare to the discount sales, look at how much have been paid, and get discouraged to collect the line.