PDA

View Full Version : MOC collecting vs. Opening your figures

Supertofu
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
How many people in this forum are MOC collectors or do you open your figures?

Also, does anyone here buy two of the same figure; one is to be kept MOC and the other opened.

I'm curious as to how do people collect nowadays.

pattycakeman
03-19-2010, 02:55 PM
I do a combination of both. It really all depends on what the toy is.

If its vintage MOC i will keep it MOC (or MIB).

If its a loose vintage it stays loose.

If its new I will open it unless it might be worth some money down the road. For instance Wun-dar from MOTUC or exclusive figures and such.

I do have a nasty habbit of keeping all the packing material though. Even the bubbles in some cases, i really need to start throwing that stuff away.

Icetron
03-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Open all, but I generally don't buy older line toys unless it's already loose. I would probably still open unless it was super rare or known to break.

Robimus
03-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I open everything in my own collection.

Banshee
03-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I also open everything. I keep the packaging of my most expensive figures.

Prowl_2009
03-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I keep stuff MOC, all of it, but I am starting to think about opening up the figures that won't really be worth all that much, but keeping nice exclusive items from the US, overseas or certain retailers MOC.

As for right now though, my entire collection, consisting of DCUC, Star Wars and Transformers are all MOC items. :cool:

Supertofu
03-19-2010, 06:39 PM
I keep stuff MOC, all of it, but I am starting to think about opening up the figures that won't really be worth all that much, but keeping nice exclusive items from the US, overseas or certain retailers MOC.

As for right now though, my entire collection, consisting of DCUC, Star Wars and Transformers are all MOC items. :cool:

You must have a lot of space in your home to store all those MOC figures. :p

JTCh
03-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I open 90% of my toys. IMO, toys like TF's are pointless to keep MOC because the fun of it is in transforming it. I can understand keeping figures MOC. I have some MMPR stuff MOC because the packaging is really nostalgic for me.

Prowl_2009
03-20-2010, 01:13 AM
You must have a lot of space in your home to store all those MOC figures. :p

Well, I moved when I got married so right now, most of the collection is in storage right now, but my wife thinks my toy collecting is cute and she loves to see me adding new pieces to my collection, so I just find places for now. :D

racerguy76
03-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I open most of the item, but some of my favorites I will buy 2 one to open and one for storage. For example..My EZ Legends Devastator from Japan is in 7 individual packages, like this I deceided not to open them and hope for a NA release. Fourtunately it worked out ok. The final GIJoe 7 packs Assault/Defense of Cobra island. I just don't have the room for 14 more figures in the Joe display so they sit MISB. I still want to open them, but I think they will be worth more MISB. I find the longer something sits unopened the chances of it being open get slimmer and slimmer as the days goes by. Just cause it sits for a year and I haven't opened it doesn't mean I won't. WHen I used to have bad days at work, I could come home and open a couple toys. Always made the day better.
________
Marijuana Vaporizers (http://weedvaporizers.info/)

Prowl_2009
03-20-2010, 02:50 PM
^^ Opening toys cures all, huh? :D

pud333
03-20-2010, 09:06 PM
It all depends on what I'm collecting. Most of the time, I open everything, but sometimes I get two of something, one to open, one for MOC. Lately my MOC collection consists mostly of 25th anniversary Joes because I love the packaging and it's just so reminiscent of the Joes from the 80's. Also, it's easier to collect that MOC than something like DCUC, which is like $20 per figure and much larger, thus harder to store.

CTO15
03-20-2010, 10:19 PM
open them? how else are you suppose to play with them....

Haggis
03-22-2010, 11:41 AM
There is no better high then crackin gopen a new toy for me.

The way i see it since most o f my collection is transformers, whats teh point of having a two with 2 modes if is stuck in on emode all the time. They look all sad stuck in there cardboard/plastic prisons, i just have to free them

(My brother will get 2 figures of certain charators and open one and keep one MOC)

Prowl_2009
03-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Mind you, I do have a few loose toys in my collection, like a 1979 Boba Fett! :D

Steve@Legends
03-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Amen to that !!!

Let them breathe !!!

Prowl_2009
03-23-2010, 10:24 AM
LOL, of course the only reason he's loose is because a MOC piece goes for something like $2,000.00. :rolleyes:

Mind you, I got the loose version for an excellent price from some guy just looking to liquidate his Star Wars collection, so I really can't complain! :D

Super_Megatron
03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I open everything in my own collection.

Me too, I have a hard time leaving anything in the package. I need to feel it!

Team Jetfire
03-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I open most things, but still have yet to crack my Transformers MAster pieces and most of my Sigma Stuff.

I also have some Random stuff from back in the day like a TRU Episode 3 Hologram Yoda and the Transformers 1 Starscream Movie preview figure...

SPLIT LIP
03-25-2010, 04:47 PM
If toys were meant to stay in the packaging they wouldn't be articulated/transformable/painted on the back. :/

pattycakeman
03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever regretted taking something out of the package? Maybe because after taking the toy out you realize that it sucks, but actually looked fun and cool in the packaging? or maybe because you ended up selling the figure and only got a fraction of its worth becasue it was loose?

racerguy76
03-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Titanium Megatron Looked awesome, got him on sale. The moment I took off the twist ties and held him, I thought " I should have left him in the box". Knee's didn't bend, He wouldn't stand up or even stay together. Total garbage figure. Sold him for 1/3 what I paid. Didn't even care.
________
Prilosec lawsuit (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

Supertofu
03-25-2010, 09:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever regretted taking something out of the package? Maybe because after taking the toy out you realize that it sucks, but actually looked fun and cool in the packaging? or maybe because you ended up selling the figure and only got a fraction of its worth becasue it was loose?

Everytime I open a figure and the joints are loose I regret opening it. Seems to happen to me constantly.

Prowl_2009
03-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Yeah, my POTF2 (green card) Bossk and Death Star Escape Han Solo, because they would've looked great amongst my carded Star Wars collection . :( Curse you, Kenner for making these kick-ass toys and allowing me to find them at the price I did. :p

pud333
03-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Yeah. Terminator "John Conner." What a piece of shit that was. I should have marched back to the store and returned him. The only reason I got him was a moment of weakness. There was a drought on toys at that time, so I caved and got him despite my better judgement. If I was still a kid, he'd be one of those toys I tied some firecrackers to and blew up.

Electro16
05-29-2010, 10:42 AM
95% of my collection is moc, the few loose that I do have I found loose.

pud333
05-29-2010, 11:58 AM
95% of my collection is moc, the few loose that I do have I found loose.

Questions: Do you have multiples of the same MOC figures? Do you plan on selling them later, or keeping them "forever"? Just curious.

My collection is the opposite. The only figures I have MOC are my 25th anniversary Joe collection, Couple TF revoltechs, couple Super Powers figures, and some DCIH. I guess it's more like 85% loose, 15% MOC.

Personally, I plan on keeping my collection until I'm not allowed to keep them :)

Quantum
05-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I open open open. I think I'm at 100% open.

The only thing I can think of that's still MOC is a clearanced The Spirit figure for another attempt at the Black Mask custom.

Evan
06-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Most of my 25th anniversary GIJoes are MOC. I think it's the nostalgia of the packaging. I'm not sure. Also I didn't really have anywhere to stand them all up. Now a couple sit out, and the rest are in a box. I should probably just open them all.

Other than that, most everything is open. Sometimes I buy two of something to keep one MOC, but not very often.

Yes to almost all of the above.
Often the toy looked cooler in the box, especially if the package is a background scene of some kind.
And yes, after opening, it was only worth a fraction of the price, but I still probably wouldn't have sold it because it was worth something. haha. Kind of a catch 22 I suppose.

pud333
06-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Most of my 25th anniversary GIJoes are MOC. I think it's the nostalgia of the packaging. I'm not sure. Also I didn't really have anywhere to stand them all up. Now a couple sit out, and the rest are in a box. I should probably just open them all.

I love the 25th ann packaging. Definitely, for me, it's nostalgia. I caution against opening all of them, cause I found that after I opened some, I realize they looked much better in packaging and the quality just wasn't there in the figure itself.

FireWolf
06-08-2010, 09:33 AM
I love the feeling of ripping open a brand new fig. It takes me back to my childhood, lol, which was just some time ago.

But I definatly love to pose my figures, have them in diorama's and generally display them in fun ways. I only have one figure still in packaging right now, but that is because I need more shelves before I put it up.