PDA

View Full Version : Action Figure Fraud: Is this a problem at your local stores???

Supertofu
06-26-2010, 10:16 AM
There seems to be an ongoing problem at my local Wal-Mart. Someone keeps returning figures with the wrong packaging.

So far I have seen Marvel Universe figures being returned with G.I. Joe figures from the movie. I have also seen Marvel Universe figures being returned with a Wolverine figure from the Wolverine and the X-Men line. Most recently I have seen a 6 inch Mark 5 Iron Man on the selves with the suit case from the 3 inch line and no right hands. This person switched all the right hands with lefts.

This is considered fraud and a criminal offense. I do hope that whoever is doing this gets caught. Not only are they committing a crime but they are filling the selves with crap that no one wants. This means that there will be a delay in getting any new stock or shipments.

Are any of you guys experiencing the same problem at your stores?

Bruticus82
06-26-2010, 12:22 PM
I haven't seen any at my stores, but we read about it all the time on the transformers forums at cybertron.ca People returning smaller transformers in boxes meant for larger figures, or returning old/broken figures in boxes as if they were new.

The merchants seem to tacitly approve of this as Walmart and Zellers have put the items back on display, even after informed fans (such as us) bring the item to customer service and complain that it is not the right item. I know they're probably just trying to cut their losses, but it bothers me to think that some kindly mother/father/grandparent/uncle who doesn't know any better is going to buy one of these things, assuming it's what their child/grandchild/nephew/niece wants, only to result in disappointment all around.

pud333
06-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Not lately, but for a while I saw a lot of GI Joe repacks. I saw a Serpentor Chariot in a Hiss tank box, which seemed like the most glaring offense. Here's a hint to those who may be lurking and are doing this kind of thing: It's theft. You are a thief if you do this. If you cannot afford to buy the toy outright, you cannot afford it. And if you are willing to trade your personal integrity in by stealing a plastic toy, well, then there's no hope for you. It's that simple.

Robimus
06-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I started collecting as an adult in 1995 and it was happening then. Not much one can do really.

The stores should honestly be a bit more on the ball about this as its not that difficult to figure out.

Supertofu
06-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I see it happening at TRU now. Just today I saw on the shelf DCUC batman from the 2-pack with Clayface in a DCUC Batman all-stars packaging with no accessories or figure stand.

It's really sad that people have to commit fraud and scams over toys. If you really can't afford it you should just leave it for people who can.

Honestly I would rather see a scalper buy the toy instead of someone who has the intentions on committing fraud.

pandaprime
06-27-2010, 11:56 PM
yeah that really grinds my gears! :mad:
http://gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.45.27.94.Attached+Files/0250.what_2D00_grinds_2D00_my_2D00_gears.jpg

Napseeker
06-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I actually had this swapping occur on a regular basis at my Zellers for both SW and GI Joe. Solution: I turned in each and every swap to their customer service dept week after week until they got so sick of seeing me that they instituted new policies about handling toy returns (they would call down the person who handled the toy section to verify that the toy inside had not been swapped out before accepting the return... I told them "hey! Just look at the damn photo on the card and compare it to the toy inside!" but that's dept stores for you).

They eventually caught the perp but I was shocked to learn they just let him go (well banning him from the store but big deal... they should've filed charges).

RyDel
07-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Swapping is out of control at a Zellers near my house. I've alerted costumer service but they seem disinterested. I've actually seen swapped products I've brought to them back on the shelf a day or two later.

Some one is also using a Exacto blade to remove droid pieces from the build a droid lines.

It sucks.

Napseeker
07-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Ask to speak to the manager... I eventually ran into the manager who worked at my Zellers and he actually was glad to be made aware of the situation. I explained to him that swapping in crap for good products that were stolen only means that smart collectors are not ever going to buy the product, which means it lingers FOREVER on the pegs and no new product ever gets put out... thus the store loses money and is forced to put it on clearance. And of course their computer inventory system can't tell the difference between the geuine article and swapped in crap.

Once you make a business case to the manager directly, they tell the customer service dept to ship up. I definitely wouldn't leave it in the hands of just the customer rep folks - in many cases, toys don't rank very high on their security/theft concerns.

RyDel
07-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Good point Napseeker.

Marvs
07-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I have seen this a few times before. Oddly enough only at Zellers. (so far) Once, I came across the Zellers exclusive Wedge with X-Wing and somone had replaced Wedge and his droid with a Saga Legends Luke X-wing pilot and Saga Legends R2-D2. Strange thing was a friend of mine actually bought that exact set for his son, he didn't have a clue until I told him the figures were the wrong ones.

Quantum
07-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I've heard tell the tales, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a repack in the wild.

Supertofu
09-02-2010, 09:12 PM
It is starting to get ridiculous at my local WM. Today I found this in the Transformers section:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz319/supertofu1/Mudflap.jpg

So basically someone replaced the new Transformers Generations deluxe Cybertronian Bumblebee with a ROTF deluxe Mudflap. Notice the Mudflap does not even fit in the bubble shell properly.

pandaprime
09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
It is starting to get ridiculous at my local WM. Today I found this in the Transformers section:

So basically someone replaced a ROTF deluxe Mudflap with the new Transformers Generations deluxe Cybertronian Bumblebee. Notice the Mudflap does not fit in the bubble shell properly.

yeah that really grinds my gears! :mad:
http://gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.45.27.94.Attached+Files/0250.what_2D00_grinds_2D00_my_2D00_gears.jpg

pud333
09-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Man I hate people sometimes.

Marvs
09-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Man I hate people sometimes.

"They're the worst."

I can't believe that people actually pull this type of crap.

Super_Megatron
09-02-2010, 11:55 PM
It's been years since I've seen this happen in stores, but it's been going on for years.

Robimus
09-03-2010, 12:03 AM
I've seen it, but in very limited numbers over the years. Maybe one or two times. It seems to be happening more in the GTA.

Napseeker
09-03-2010, 01:37 AM
I think I've said this before... but report it, ask to speak to the manager if you see happen a second time, and they should have security camera footage of the person making the return. I know my local Zellers has a camera placed in their customer service section just for these kinds of "swaps". They can look at the footage and at least get an idea of what this person looks like for the next time and hopefully nail them for fraud.

tninjha
09-03-2010, 09:19 AM
A few months back there was the package, but no figure!! Someone opened it and took off the figure! How did they have time to do that?

Haggis
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
A few months back there was the package, but no figure!! Someone opened it and took off the figure! How did they have time to do that?

I see this more then figure swaps.

Mostly on Marvel figires, but one time I found a empty Leader megs

Supertofu
09-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Another big problem I find in stores is the BAF piece missing or stolen. It totally turns the collector away from buying it as we are also paying for the figure and the BAF piece.

I have seen a variant Booster Gold from the DCUC line with the package ripped opened without the BAF. I would have bought it if it was complete.

pattycakeman
09-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I see this more then figure swaps.

Mostly on Marvel figires, but one time I found a empty Leader megs

I see this all the time but strangely only with IM2 figures. And for some reason even after restocks they keep them on the shelves.

CTO15
09-03-2010, 11:02 AM
im assuming you see that at walmart. Walmart employees don't really care what happen, as long as they get their pay cheques in the end

pud333
09-03-2010, 11:10 AM
You know, if you're gonna steal something, at least have the balls to steal something decent. Like an MP Grimlock or something. I really wish I could catch one of these repackers.

RyDel
09-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I really wish I could catch one of these repackers.

I literally tried to stake out the zellers near me in attempt to do just that. Problem is I think the person doing it was actually one of the employees. It was happening to much.

Robimus
09-03-2010, 01:53 PM
The catch with the out and out thrft is that stores budget for theft. If a build a whatever peice gets stolen they should mark the figure down and sell it none the less.

Too often they just leave it on the peg trying to sell it for regular price.

Batman
09-04-2010, 01:04 AM
It happens in Ottawa all the time.

vujonny
09-04-2010, 02:47 AM
^ i see it all the time. Action Figures get stolen a lot. I also see open card packs around stores all the time

Marvs
09-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I have probably seen empty packages more then an actual figure swapped out.

Supertofu
09-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Today I found these in the action figure section at my local WM:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz319/supertofu1/GIJoe.jpg

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz319/supertofu1/Omac.jpg

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz319/supertofu1/Beast.jpg

Napseeker
09-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Wow. Just wow. A $4 Cover Girl figure in place of a $10 Iron Man figure; a lot of work to save $6... now that is a cheapskate.

Bruticus82
09-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I just don't get this. I haven't seen it around here in person, but it just seems like a horrible thing for a person to do.

I can almost imagine parents or grandparents, ignorant of toys, finding the one with the right name on it, buying it for their child, only to have them terribly disappointed when they open it, breaking the parent/grandparent's heart.

Yes, I have an active and sad imagination.

HumanEraser LS-02
09-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I've seen some DCUC Batman figures replaced with either a Deadpool figure, or some other inferior toy.

CTO15
09-13-2010, 09:46 AM
i just don't get why customer service people can't see the package, and look to make sure the toy matches the character. All they have to do is flip over the package and look at the back.

HumanEraser LS-02
09-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Today I found these in the action figure section at my local WM:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz319/supertofu1/GIJoe.jpg

I actually saw that one, and told a WalMart staffer about it.

Supertofu
09-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I've seen some DCUC Batman figures replaced with either a Deadpool figure, or some other inferior toy.

Was this Deadpool figure the one from the ML 6 series?

I actually saw that one, and told a WalMart staffer about it.

What did the staff say about it or did with the figure?

HumanEraser LS-02
10-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Was this Deadpool figure the one from the ML 6 series?

What did the staff say about it or did with the figure?

They took it off the shelves.

TFtoys
10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I think it does increase the level of the security while returning/exchanging the item. Now the store requires to see some ID to be able to exchange. Before we can just do a straight exchange for the same kind, such as marvel universe ms. marvel to marvel universe hulk without a receipt.

Robimus
10-09-2010, 12:47 PM
A couple weeks back I found a Bludgeon in a Banzai-tron box at TRU. It was an obvious product switch as the Bludgeon one was open(tape was cut).

I alerted the proper authorities.

Hantei
10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Wow, didn't to expect to see this happen in Calgary. But it looks like someone swapped out Vintage Dack, Vader, and Luke with (I believe) Power of the Force Biggs, Vader, and Speeder Bike Luke. The biggest offender has to be Luke, he looks nothing like Bespin outfit photoed.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3026/imag0009yl.jpg

Napseeker
10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Out and out that is amazing. How did they reseal the bubble? I can't tell from the photo - did they just reglue it? Which store is this - Walmart? TRU?

Hantei
10-14-2010, 08:02 PM
This was at Walmart. They opened it from the left side, there was tear on the cardboard, resealed using tape. You can kinda see tear on the Vader card. It was actually a pretty clean repack if the tape wasn't there.

Kind of a annoying as I stopped by there with the intent of picking up a Dack, only to find out the only one there was swapped out.

pandaprime
10-14-2010, 10:48 PM
This was at Walmart. They opened it from the left side, there was tear on the cardboard, resealed using tape. You can kinda see tear on the Vader card. It was actually a pretty clean repack if the tape wasn't there.

Kind of a annoying as I stopped by there with the intent of picking up a Dack, only to find out the only one there was swapped out.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_C3GG1H0NXTc/SN7eOW45NII/AAAAAAAAAF4/VYZWbv4zY9M/s320/grindsmygears5.jpg

tninjha
10-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Wow to go through all the trouble... haha...

RyDel
10-15-2010, 09:29 AM
So lame.

Marvs
10-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I am guessing that this is some sort of twisted hobby to those people. What a waste of time.

Napseeker
10-21-2010, 09:24 PM
I've always considered swappers to be far worse scum than scalpers - at least scalpers will trigger an actual sale for the retail store (although they screw over collectors) whereas swappers screw just about everybody:
- the store makes no sale
- the collectors don't get the figure(s) they want and of course, we often get the blame for this type of behavior
- the parents/kids innocently may buy this crap and end up with junk product (and if they return it, the store has to eat the loss)
- and once again, if no one reports the swap, the swapped in toy just rots on the pegs as collectors ignore it, and eventually gets clearanced out for $1

Swappers are the real lowlifes of the collecting community.

vujonny
10-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Found this at some Mall in Zellers
The thing is that the package was perfectly sealed.
It was like it was never opened. Really.
I can understand why someone took Doc Doom.
He is Awesome Compared to Absorbing man but really.
Dont do this...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/vujonny/IMG_0341.jpg

Hantei
12-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Spotted this today, I think this was at the same WM as my last post. Certainly looks like the handy work of the previous culprit. Hopefully you can make out the taping job they did on the second pic.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2338/imag0051w.jpghttp://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9919/imag0052lv.jpg

ARROW
12-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Swappers are very difficult to prosecute because their crime is so small in the scheme of things.
Most of the folks doing it are fellow collectors, seeking to expand their collections via a zero-sum strategy--buying one item swapping a figure or part, and returning the sealed item for a refund which they use to buy yet another item and so on.
The stores treat it indifferently because the loss is only about $10 on average, AND they have a return item in a "sell-able condition"--never minds that its not as packaged. It appears to have the contents intact and that is all the concern themselves with.
Tracing the items with computerized returns is impractical, because the costs of implementing such security far outweigh the losses.
Realize that this kind of fraud is happening in EVERY store department. Yes, people attempt to shamelessly return damaged or older goods ( like TVs or appliances) swapped for newer ones and not all of them are prosecuted. The less the cost of the item is, the less likely ANYTHING will be done, and toys are right at the bottom of the list.
In Fact, many retailers still consider toys to be loss-leaders--because they actually expect items on the shelves to be opened on the spot by children, and thus considered unsellable if not bought by the parents. Note that the products that they consider to actually be valuable are locked up in cabinets--like video games--so the rest of the stuff on the shelves is literally "sacrificial".

Yes, it sucks, yes its frustrating, but there's nothing you or I can do about it. Making the staff aware of the item is making them aware of a loss.......and if they can sell the tampered item as is unbeknownst to a consumer, then they do not have to take a loss. That is all they care about--which is why the stuff is returned to the shelves. That is why the classic consumer axiom; caveat emptor-let the buyer beware- always applies.

Hantei
03-04-2011, 09:06 PM
It's Star Wars again, this time at different Wal-Mart (but not too far from the usual spot). I wonder if this is the same guy that doing this. The clean repacking is certainly his modus operandi.

http://i52.tinypic.com/1z334lw.jpg

Supertofu
07-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Saw this at a Wal-Mart in Richmond Hill:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/ed_is_on_2007/DSC00221.jpg

Saw this at the TRU in Markham:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/ed_is_on_2007/DSC00223.jpg

I'm really surprised that they let this one slip by them.

Hantei
07-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Clone Wars stuff at a Toys "R" Us. This is kinda of surprising, I thought they were more strict about opened product. You'd think the employees would at least check the back of the packaging to see if the figures matched.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1226/imag0180w.jpg

Napseeker
07-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Check the back of the product? Heck, check the image right there on the top-right corner :P

Robimus
07-15-2011, 11:56 AM
I've seen this problem at TRU in the past as well.

vujonny
07-15-2011, 12:21 PM
I just saw a spiderman head on a deluxe captain america figure at TRU.

vujonny
07-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Dont know why you would only want a cap head...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/vujonny/IMG_0674.jpg
RED SKULL!!!
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/vujonny/IMG_0675.jpg

Wing Leader
09-13-2011, 11:12 PM
The pattern I see here is alot of people finding these issues at Walmart. That's because Walmart is the most laxed retail store on the planet when it comes to return policies. The employees don't care because they know a company that big will never notice. I used to work for an EB Games, and often times we wouldn't return a video game because it had either been opened or the customer had no receipt. I don't know how many times I had to refuse a return to a customer, only to have them come back later on and tell me that Walmart let them return it opened and without a receipt. They really just don't care.

vujonny
09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
I've seen to many X force 3 pack recently at wal mart.
Damn if your gonna do this just steal the whole thing.
I would be so nervous in line trying to do this.

Hantei
09-14-2011, 12:01 AM
The pattern I see here is alot of people finding these issues at Walmart. That's because Walmart is the most laxed retail store on the planet when it comes to return policies. The employees don't care because they know a company that big will never notice. I used to work for an EB Games, and often times we wouldn't return a video game because it had either been opened or the customer had no receipt. I don't know how many times I had to refuse a return to a customer, only to have them come back later on and tell me that Walmart let them return it opened and without a receipt. They really just don't care.
Really? Wow, that's bad. But I'm sure WM also has a similar policy of no returns on opened movie, CD, game, and software.

aznpnoy
09-14-2011, 07:21 AM
The worst Walmart that I've been to regarding this is the one at Bayview and Hwy7.. U would see at least 3 swapped figures everytime..

Icetron
09-14-2011, 10:13 PM

Well they banned the no-receipt return policy so no one can do that anymore, they're usually pretty strict about that now.

Wing Leader
09-14-2011, 10:21 PM
They always had a "no receipt no return" policy. They just didn't start enforcing it until now. I have heard that they finally started cracking down on that, but that's the only thing they've cracked down on from what I've seen, and that's just one part of the problem.

jacobot
11-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I want that FAB... But not for $20 ;)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6057/6264812370_bda34fca44.jpg

cobralegion
11-25-2011, 02:15 PM
I've been collecting since 1992 and have never seen it. Maybe its just the fact that I live in a smaller city. Even working at Zellers for the last 5 years I've never seen it. Lots and lots of theft but no figure swapping. Pokemon cards and pregnancy tests are big sellers/theft lol.

FormBX257
12-10-2011, 03:50 AM
I remember seeing a swap at TRU a while back - a Galactic Marine in a Snow Trooper card. Close in looks, but not quite. That made me scratch my head though; always thought the Galactic Marine was more sought after?
Cobralegion- Pokemon and pregnancy? I'm moving to Red Deer!

vujonny
03-04-2012, 11:39 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/vujonny/b044cfc7.jpg
Thor got a hair cut

66jedikiller66
03-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Yeeouch they could have at least put a little effort into it.
That looks nothing like Thor!

66jedikiller66
03-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I live in a border city.
So I see and here about this more in the States.
It used to amuse me until one time years ago there was a wave of Star Wars figures I really wanted, I found 3 of them on the pegs at a Walmart and they were all switched up.
I failed to see the humor in it after that point.

Napseeker
03-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Man that stinks, no one will buy it now - I hope you handed it over to the customer service department. Maybe they'll catch the guy who originally returned it.

CTO15
03-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Man that stinks, no one will buy it now - I hope you handed it over to the customer service department. Maybe they'll catch the guy who originally returned it.

too bad most stores don't care about action figure fraud like we do.

It just takes a customer service rep to look over the figures for 1 second longer. :argh:

Eko123
03-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Thor got a hair cut

What's sad is that even though it just came out, that particular Thor figure from that wave will probably end up being very easy to find on the pegs. I've noticed that it's the Storm and Psylocke figures which are getting snatched up.

Like everyone else has said, swappers are thieves committing a crime...no ifs or buts about it. If you're that poor (and pathetic) where you feel you need to resort to stealing just to acquire an action figure you really want...get a freaking job so you have money to buy them and get a life!!! :argh: That's what the rest of us collectors do.

Sure, we all love action figures and it's a very fun hobby, but to put time and energy into an illegal activity like swapping is just wrong on so many levels.

My question is...are these people stealing for their own collections, or are they selling the figures on eBay, hoping to make a profit by jacking up the price for what they perceive to be a hard-to-find item?

Hantei
03-12-2012, 02:04 AM
My question is...are these people stealing for their own collections, or are they selling the figures on eBay, hoping to make a profit by jacking up the price for what they perceive to be a hard-to-find item?
That doesn't really make sense, since I imagine they'd be worth less loose. All that trouble just to get, maybe, $5? I'd go with the former, where they're swapping for their own collection. At least I can see that being the case for the SW TVC stuff.

Prime Sinister
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Thor got a hair cut

I saw that Thor! Was it at Sherway TRU?

vujonny
03-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I saw that Thor! Was it at Sherway TRU?

Yep!... Still there eh

Prime Sinister
03-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Sherway TRU had 8 (1 case) of MLs in their system, but nobody could find them in the back.

CTO15
03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Sherway TRU had 8 (1 case) of MLs in their system, but nobody could find them in the back.

they could be in transit still.

Prime Sinister
03-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Back to swapping, can't possibly profit from it since packages opened -- no longer MOC. Cost more to drive to store, drive home, swap figure X for figure Y, drive to store, drive home. Gas & time wasted!

vujonny
03-24-2012, 12:44 PM
saw this over at fwoosh

GBMan
Saw this in a Walmart up here in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. Yellow Sinestro-Batman? Notice the peeling paint and the figure is sealed on card too. Weirdness.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/photo0184v.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/photo0185j.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/photo0186p.jpg/

Prime Sinister
04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm a little embarrassed to post this. I bought ML Thor from Markville Toys R Us a few weeks ago. Never opened him. I was on the fence whether to keep him or not (I already have ML3 Thor). Luckily I checked a few YouTube reviews before I was going to open Thor. I noticed his left had was a fist instead of being opened. I also noticed more details (wrinkles) on his costume. When I viewed a video showing the ML compared to the Select Thor, I knew I was duped!
I bought a Marvel Select Thor in ML packaging! :yelling: After re-examining the back of the card, the taping now looks a little sloppy and the bottom must have been re-glued.
I just returned him today back to the same TRU.
There was on the peg a ML red IM, but the card was ripped opened, but the BAF piece was still inside???

Hantei
04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Haha, wow, I'm surprised they kept the new Mjolnir in there. The MS one is crappy compared to the ML one.

Prime Sinister
04-05-2012, 07:06 PM
So should we expect to see more of these as people upgrade their Modern Thor with ML for MS?

vujonny
04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Oh wow. Thor is just getting it! I just checked my ML Thor MOC. its all good folks! lol

Prime Sinister
04-06-2012, 12:58 AM
"I'm not sure where to post this but here's something funny.

I went to a local walmart today to look the ML Thor and I finally found him. I was pretty excited until upon closer inspection I notice that Thor had some extra detail from what I remember in online photos. The packaging was a little weird too. Someone decided to buy ML Thor and return it with MS Thor resealed back in the package. So what I'm really trying to say is that I'm still looking for ML Thor. http://thefwoosh.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif"

Found this today on Fwoosh from person from California.

vujonny
05-05-2012, 01:00 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/vujonny/3a4d2bad.jpg

Sadness. Hope is s girl... Clearly

pandaprime
05-05-2012, 01:15 PM
^^

whoever did that should be arrested! :argh:

vujonny
05-05-2012, 01:39 PM
^^

whoever did that should be arrested! :argh:

whoever accepted the return should be fired!

StarwarsTF
05-05-2012, 11:09 PM
where was the return?

vujonny
05-05-2012, 11:46 PM
where was the return?

Tru on Winston Churchill Mississauga

Drexl
09-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Saw this rare Starman variant at Wal Mart in Brampton (Queen & Airport)

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad320/Drexl311/NotStarman.jpg

I hate this!!

Robimus
09-25-2012, 01:28 AM
The Big Boss Man and his Sidewalk Slam!

w0nd
09-25-2012, 01:38 AM
I don't understand are the boxes resealed to perfection or something, i am always iffy about buying opened box figures, I have yet to see something like this in my area. I can see how this could happen though , the people who work in stores clearly do not give a crap, when I ask them is "such and such" figure came in over the phone and try to explain it to them, they get offended or insulted I question their intelligence, then when i get there it's the wrong figure, marvel universe - amazing spider-man figures, but what I seen here takes it to a whole new level.

Some of these are funny to see, like star man, but the fact it ruins it for buys is not funny at all.

joshimus
09-25-2012, 10:05 AM
It's technically theft what that person has done. Makes me wonder how a box store can operate when things like this is allowed. People do that with Transformers too and the back of the box usually has a picture of the toy. How some people look at the toy and box art and think "yeah I guess that's what it is" those people need to be kicked in the ass for stupidity. Chances are if the box art isn't similar to the product in the package, it's probably NOT the right toy in the package.

Hantei
06-12-2014, 08:28 PM
It's been a while, but I found this the other day at my local Walmart. A Joe figure with an X-Wing pilot helmet posing as a Mysterio. You would think the colors alone would be a give away that this is fraud. Alternatively, they could have easily turned the card around to see what the real deal looks like.

http://s27.postimg.org/8hykidlxv/mysterio.jpg

comicbookboy
06-12-2014, 09:42 PM
I'VE SEEN THAT ONLY HAPPEN ONCE to me AT ZELLERS WHEN I WAS FIRST STARTING TO COLLECT and getting into comics.

I didn't realize at first. I thought i was buying mr. fantastic and ultron comicbook figure series. when I got home i realized they were 2 dc universe figures in the package.

i returned it back to zellers and was nice enough to ask for an exchange for thunderball and spiderman figure set without any hassle.

i have not seen it happen since and now i'm way more wiser on figures.

comicbookboy
06-12-2014, 09:43 PM
It's been a while, but I found this the other day at my local Walmart. A Joe figure with an X-Wing pilot helmet posing as a Mysterio. You would think the colors alone would be a give away that this is fraud. Alternatively, they could have easily turned the card around to see what the real deal looks like.

http://s27.postimg.org/8hykidlxv/mysterio.jpg

how do the people working there not realize the difference?

PegMan
06-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Imagine how much retail employees make per hour...

Wintermute
06-12-2014, 11:23 PM
I was at the Niagara Falls Comic Con this weekend and one vendor, who had a bunch of WWE and other wrestling figures that was right by Bounty Hunter Toys, had a bunch of Marvel Universe figures and a MU Punisher was swapped out with what looked like a figure from Tron.

Robimus
06-12-2014, 11:32 PM
That is terrible. I hope someone called him on that one. I can understand mass market employees not really being able to tell toy from toy, but a Con retailer, damn.

I wonder how long he will keep operating :p

Wintermute
06-13-2014, 09:04 AM
The operator seemed to be a fairly older gentleman, and his focus was more on the wrestling figures than the MU, but yeah, it's his business. Hell, he's paying to be there, isn't he? lol

And I was gonna say something to him, but he was deep into some haggling with another guy and I didn't want to upset his negotiating by saying "Sir, someone has been screwing with your inventory!"

In retrospect, I still shoulda said something.

joshimus
06-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Honestly, I don't understand how anyone CAN'T tell the difference of packaging vs product, especially when you can see the physical product.
I get it, they don't know toys, fair assumption, right? But, you learn how to put the circle piece in the circle slot, triangle in triangle slot, etc. Surely you should be able to see if a picture matches the product?! It's not like you are returning a sweater that doesn't have any packaging to show what the sweater should look like. Toys HAVE actual product showing alongside the cards. If the toy looks nothing like the packaging, maybe question why?!
This is what gets me. The simple argument "They don't know toys" is bullshit. If you work in Customer Service dept dealing with exchanges and returns, you should be more aware of what is being returned...plus that whole "One of these is not like the other one" thing.

Hantei
06-26-2014, 07:49 PM
I wonder if, it's an insider job where an employee is doing it. Or maybe the returner is playing the ignorance card. Claiming to have bought the figure by mistake and realized that it wasn't the same thing. However if it's the latter then shame on Walmart for putting back on the shelves.

w0nd
07-07-2014, 01:23 AM
i notice employees are often ignorant about what they are selling. Especially the older ones. It's hard to call them up on the phone and ask them if they have something in stock, and making sure they have it without condescending but I don't know how many times I have asked them something, twice on the phone they say they are sure, I get there and it's the wrong item.

Super_Megatron
07-07-2014, 08:50 PM
This thread is great, the practice itself is clearly wrong, but I do so love seeing the pictures of these repackaged toys.

iammingy
07-08-2014, 10:56 PM
I wonder if, it's an insider job where an employee is doing it. Or maybe the returner is playing the ignorance card. Claiming to have bought the figure by mistake and realized that it wasn't the same thing. However if it's the latter then shame on Walmart for putting back on the shelves.

I agree with you on the latter.

Many people play the ignorance card all the time. :innocent:
Whether it's your colleague who f'd up something at work or those train-riders who didn't validate their fare-saver tickets. The sad thing is it almost always works... Wait 'til karma strikes them to hell.

Hantei
07-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Saw another a couple days ago at the same Walmart. Probably the same culprit. Looks absolutely nothing like the Rhino. They actually have a Rhino hanging on the pegs too...

http://s15.postimg.org/c4roof1u3/IMG_20140711_171253.jpg

PegMan
07-15-2014, 08:20 PM
In the TRU I shop at thieves don't go through the trouble. They just tear the packages open and leave what they don't want buried on the shelves. It's really shitty. I don't know if I've actually ever seen the 'repack' thief, but plenty of blatant stuff. It makes you wonder if TRU should rethink their camera placement or height of shelves or something...

Prime Sinister
07-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Saw another a couple days ago at the same Walmart. Probably the same culprit. Looks absolutely nothing like the Rhino. They actually have a Rhino hanging on the pegs too...

http://s15.postimg.org/c4roof1u3/IMG_20140711_171253.jpg

Kinda looks like the Movie Rhino

Hantei
08-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Found another one last week. At a different Walmart this time. Curious if it's the same guy, or if there's more than one person doing the same thing. For comparison sakes I took a picture of it with the original beside it.

http://s8.postimg.org/zcob9j2ad/IMG_20140725_200308.jpg

Crobot91
08-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Saw this rare Starman variant at Wal Mart in Brampton (Queen & Airport)

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad320/Drexl311/NotStarman.jpg

I hate this!!

Although it's wrong; this instance of toy swapping really gave me a chuckle...

comicbookboy
11-12-2014, 10:31 AM
seen a couple months ago of the Guardians of the Galaxy iron man with a skull ring head in the packaging on display.

EpicLumpia
02-28-2015, 02:00 PM
Someone is switching the BAF parts at the WM at STC for the Avengers Marvel Legends line.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/ed_is_on_2007/Machine%20Man.jpg

Tonestar
02-28-2015, 04:16 PM
I recently saw the new white Iron Fist Legend with an Annhilus leg in the box instead of the Odin leg at TRU in Pickering.....so maddening that things like this happen everywhere.

Webs
02-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Not exactly the same thing,but the southside TRU has had one of these old Qwardian weaponer figures hanging on the pegs since the end of December.
http://www.toysonfire.ca/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/6/761941254692_3.jpg

Prime Sinister
03-03-2015, 01:58 AM
I've seen swapped toys on the pegs in Wal-mart one day, then gone the next. Do the reps (ie. Hasbro) pull the "bad" figures or do they get sold?

FETT1
03-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Not that I've seen here in Western Canada...but did see some old DIAMOND SELECT figures at 2 different Walfarts not long ago...really weird ...they were dated from '96 I think.
Walfart lady said they will return anything !!!!
Really !!!??!!!!:doh::clapping:

Prime Sinister
04-02-2015, 11:55 PM
Found this today at Coppercreek Wal-mart. Actually, my wife found this and said "Hey look, Thor. Isn't he hard to find?" They she wandered over to Electronics.
I was still going through the Transformers deluxe pegs looking for Combiner Wars wave 2. When I checked out Thor, I noticed he was missing the BAF, sword AND Mjolnir. I took a pic to show my wife, but left Thor on the peg.

Inhale's new thread made me think about this again. I guess us collectors have "trained" eyes. My wife probably would have bought this if she thought I needed it.

I think Hasbro needs to address this. The Infinite packaging is too inviting to scams like this. The Cap series was the worst since it didn't even have tape on the back! I think that Hasbro should use the clam shell packaging that Toybiz used. I never saw a swapped toy in a clam shell. We are already paying $25 regular price per ML figure. If Hasbro wants to suggest this price, they should protect their product. No collector will buy this "naked" Thor.

inhale
04-03-2015, 03:27 AM
Found this today at Coppercreek Wal-mart. Actually, my wife found this and said "Hey look, Thor. Isn't he hard to find?" They she wandered over to Electronics.
I was still going through the Transformers deluxe pegs looking for Combiner Wars wave 2. When I checked out Thor, I noticed he was missing the BAF, sword AND Mjolnir. I took a pic to show my wife, but left Thor on the peg.

Inhale's new thread made me think about this again. I guess us collectors have "trained" eyes. My wife probably would have bought this if she thought I needed it.

I think Hasbro needs to address this. The Infinite packaging is too inviting to scams like this. The Cap series was the worst since it didn't even have tape on the back! I think that Hasbro should use the clam shell packaging that Toybiz used. I never saw a swapped toy in a clam shell. We are already paying $25 regular price per ML figure. If Hasbro wants to suggest this price, they should protect their product. No collector will buy this "naked" Thor.

Thanks for the shout (kinda lol) i recently found somewhere..cant remember a infinite series odin hawkeye with his damn clothes off and his arrow in lieu of the place where the BAF part would be.. and i dont even think it was the original clear plastic..think it was from another figure. Seeing that just got me frustrated :yelling:

And yes, i did jump the gun in making the thread but thanks to EricLumpia for the direction to this main thread.

Prime Sinister
04-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the shout (kinda lol) i recently found somewhere..cant remember a infinite series odin hawkeye with his damn clothes off and his arrow in lieu of the place where the BAF part would be.. and i dont even think it was the original clear plastic..think it was from another figure. Seeing that just got me frustrated :yelling:

And yes, i did jump the gun in making the thread but thanks to EricLumpia for the direction to this main thread.

That Hawkeye was at Markville Wal-mart! Someone stripped the "H" vest, quiver and BAF and stuck the bow in the BAF area which was not Odin torso sized. It was among a dozen normal Hawkeyes. I now ask my wife to send me a pic of any figure she finds before she buys it.

Nicholosity
04-03-2015, 11:01 AM
I posed about this in the "mavel universe info thread". The same events are happening at my local wal mart in erin mills in mississauga; someone keeps butchering the figures.

Hantei
04-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Not fraud, but I saw evidence of outright theft at my local Target. For fraud in general, I think the most common I've run into are the 3.75" Star Wars figures, someone is swapping out the newer figures for the older ones. I don't think I've personally seen any for Marvel Legends.

http://s29.postimg.org/5qjwt4mdz/image.jpg
http://s29.postimg.org/wpnroa8uv/image.jpg
http://s29.postimg.org/pnpu23593/image.jpg

Prime Sinister
04-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Guess someone thinks 60% off is not good enough.

Nicholosity
04-03-2015, 07:27 PM
This is the end times boys, Armageddon is upon us. The pegs will run dry and the four scalpers of the apocalypse will leave a destructive path throughout aisles across North America.

Team Jetfire
04-03-2015, 07:59 PM
There is someone at my local Walmart who does this constantly. Really irritating especially since some grandma is going to buy it for her unsuspecting grand child.

Eko123
04-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Tonight when I was Scarborough Town Centre, I saw this when I was checking out the toy aisle.

Seriously, whomever did this is not only dishonest, he/she is pretty stupid too, considering that the Marvel Legends Silver Savage figure was a U.S. Target exclusive from the Red Hulk build-a-figure wave released in 2008.

As a collector of loose action figures, I think the Silver Savage would have more value to me as a vintage Marvel Legends figure than the modern Thor figure which it was used to replace (and which I already bought a while ago). Silver Savage goes for a lot more money on eBay unless you're lucky enough to find it at a toy show for less.

While I don't condone theft or fraud in any way...as bad as this sounds, I would have actually considered buying the Silver Savage figure had it been complete with all of the accessories (it only had the surfboard). There's a seller on eBay who has the same figure with just the surfboard who's selling it for almost double the Walmart price of the new Marvel Legends figures.

Had it been a Marvel Hulk Legends Wendigo figure though, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy it though. lol :p

Enforcer
04-27-2015, 10:26 AM
It's like a collector Easter Egg. Only slightly better because the person didn't poach the BAF part.

Prime Sinister
04-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Guess Customer Service was so busy that the rep could not turn the packaged figures over to verify the Thor return.

Enforcer
04-27-2015, 12:07 PM
If it was Wal-Mart they would have taken it with popcorn kernels stuffed in the package.

EpicLumpia
10-20-2015, 07:27 PM
Saw this at Markville Mall WM:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/ed_is_on_2007/Spiderman.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/ed_is_on_2007/media/Spiderman.jpg.html)

The Spiderman figure was switched out with another Spiderman figure.

Saw this at Agincourt Mall WM:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/ed_is_on_2007/Batroc.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/ed_is_on_2007/media/Batroc.jpg.html)

Batroc has the BAF pieces switched out with the tray from Machine Man and some random arms from a figure.

Prime Sinister
10-29-2015, 12:31 PM
At Square One

Sorry for the upside down pic.

Tonestar
10-29-2015, 01:16 PM
I saw a Marvel Legends DR. Strange with a missing BAF piece and what was in its place was a Transformers Beast Hunters Skystalker bottom half at my local WalMart. I was in awe.

thunderboy
10-29-2015, 10:03 PM
At Square One

Sorry for the upside down pic.

Sadly I saw this on the shelf and turned it in to the clerk explaining what was wrong with it. 30 minutes later, it was back on the shelf...

Prime Sinister
10-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Sadly I saw this on the shelf and turned it in to the clerk explaining what was wrong with it. 30 minutes later, it was back on the shelf...

And you thought only Boomerang could perform such a feat.
:rofl:

Prime Sinister
11-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Spotted this at Markville TRU.
Shame because she has decent eyes.

Wintermute
05-01-2016, 03:04 PM
Saw this gem at Walmart Appleby Line today:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/Pinion9999/IMG_20160501_141438108_HDR.jpg

I thought about going to customer service, but after reading time and again how doing that really yields no results - i.e. they just put the figure back out on the shelf - all I did was take the figure and move it to another aisle and hid it behind some Fisher Price toy lol.

At least that may prevent some poor kid or parent from buying it for a little while.

Vorahk
05-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Saw this in a Walmart in town. By looks it was a return cause the instructions were visible beside the figure and then to make things more fun she even rings up as transformers rid fracture. They cut the bottom part with the barcode and put in instead of airachnid so they could get a refund of a figure. Figure is 4 freaking years old and maybe if you didn't want airachnid in the first place maybe don't buy her. As I was explaining this to customer service the entire customer service reps were dumbfounded by how they were duped.

wedge1021
08-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Another sleeping Walmart employee. To me, the knitting yarn is a giveaway.

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82/dryzebol/SW%20sellers/IMG_20160810_120746416_zpslxr7lnil.jpg

Funny thing is, this actually makes the toy better, since Hasbro's version is non-accurate white. Still, the Hot Wheels version is $4 cheaper. So wow, this guy just had to save that $4 by ripping them off.

Robimus
07-11-2020, 01:12 AM
Bump,

EpicLumpia
09-07-2020, 12:11 PM
It's happening again. This time at Winners.

That's definitely NOT the correct BAF piece.

https://i.ibb.co/3h2ssnX/Red-Hood-1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/TcHrJD0/Red-Hood-2.jpg

Prime Sinister
09-11-2020, 10:07 AM
Looks like the new retro cards are not tamper-proof

EpicLumpia
09-17-2020, 10:55 PM
I saw this at the Morningside WM in Toronto this past Wednesday.

It doesn't even have hands attached.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ63dDk/Electro.jpg (https://ibb.co/pZ63dDk)