PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Universe 3 3/4-inch Action Figures Released in Canada

Super_Megatron
01-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks to multiple sightings all across the country for confirming the release of the first wave of the 3 3/4-inch Marvel Universe Action Figures in Canada. This wave includes the action figures:
Silver Surfer, Iron Man (Blue Armor), Iron Man (Red and Yellow Armor), Human Torch (Fantastic 4 Suit), Classic Spider-Man, Daredevil, Black Panther, The Punisher and Wolverine (Black Suit). Human Torch (Flame On) and Bullseye have yet to be spotted.

Share what toys are being sighted in your area in our Canadian Action Figure Sightings forum. (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=19)

jacobot
01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Great to see them earlier than expected when some Walmarts put them out on New Year's Eve!!!

pud333
01-26-2009, 11:06 PM
I have yet to see any, but that's because I'm too lazy to travel to a Walmart. I guess I'll just wait for BBTS to deliver in the mail. :cool:

JTCh
01-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Got both Ironmans myself:)

Here are some pics and a review of it on my blog. (http://toys-n-more.blogspot.com/2009/01/marvel-universe-fury-files-iron-man.html)

pud333
01-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Got both Ironmans myself:)

Here are some pics and a review of it on my blog. (http://toys-n-more.blogspot.com/2009/01/marvel-universe-fury-files-iron-man.html)

Nice review. It looks like you did indeed get a figure with some QC issues. I didn't realize that it came with so much paperwork. I'm with you there that the figures need more accessories, but I'm also a revoltech fiend, so more always is better IMO. Did you make yourself a light box to take those pictures with? Cause they look nifty.

JTCh
01-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks pud! Yes, I made a cheap lightbox with foam core sheets from Michael's.

Another plug:p

$5 lightbox (now with 2 light sources) (http://toys-n-more.blogspot.com/2009/01/some-new-stuff.html)

Brohara
02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Do we have any expected release date for the second wave in Canada? We've known the line-ups for both wave 1 and 2 for some time now. With Wave 1 now in stores, how long do we have to wait for Wave 2?

lars573
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
If TF universe is any indication. Summer, maybe fall.

pud333
02-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't think we'll have to wait too long for wave 2. Wave 1 + 2 are already available to online retailers like smalljoes, so I'm thinking anytime around late feb or march? I dunno. Definitely not too long.

Personally, I just couldn't be bothered to wait or to go hunting for them, so I just ordered the ones I wanted online. Should be coming in a couple weeks. :D

Cyber-Kun
02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I hope wave 2 comes soon, I really need a Green Golbin and Ultimate Captain America ^_^

t.wizard
05-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Does anyone have news on Wave 18? According to Wiki (I know, not the best place for info) it was supposed to be released in March. The date changed to July and combined with wave 19. Now it's date has been changed back to March.

Same with Wave 10 of the double packs. I've seen one of each once at different comic stores and nothing since. Have these popped up at any Walmarts or TRU yet?

pandaprime
05-19-2012, 10:31 AM
whoa, this is a very old thread...

CTO15
05-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Super old, but to answer the question. No haven't seen or heard about wave 18. I don't think its even out in the states.

protoform_ironhide
05-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Does anyone have news on Wave 18? According to Wiki (I know, not the best place for info) it was supposed to be released in March. The date changed to July and combined with wave 19. Now it's date has been changed back to March.

Same with Wave 10 of the double packs. I've seen one of each once at different comic stores and nothing since. Have these popped up at any Walmarts or TRU yet?
Just get them from Ebay. They arent' that expensive anyways. Which characters are u looking for?

t.wizard
05-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm looking for all of them. Ebay is a good option but I like the chase as much as the catch.

Toy Gremlin
05-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I haven't heard anything about wave 18 either. I only saw pictures of them on Hasbro's website. I guess that means they should be coming soon. I'm not even sure if diamond's previews had a listing for that wave. :(

t.wizard
05-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm thinking that they held off so as not to compete with the Avenger toy line.

On a bit of a side note. Has anyone ever submitted a question for those yearly "Hasbro listens to fans" threads? and do they actually listen? A buddy of mine came up with an awesome idea for the MU line. Instead of a stand and an optic blast, fire, energy ray add-on they do a BAF. We could have a MODOK, Kree Sentry, , Lockjaw, Goliath, Volstag, etc. The list goes on. SLightly larger figs then the regular line. Oh well, just a thought.

Man I would love a Kree Sentry

Napseeker
05-20-2012, 07:22 PM
The only problem I think is that then you'd force folks to buy figures they'd otherwise avoid (I've yet to see a wave of MU where I'd want every figure, usually just 3 or 4) AND Hasbro would increase the cost of each figure to pay for the extra plastic used by the BaF part.

That's what happened with Dr Who when they included a BaF "Robot", the figures cost $25 each... in the next release when they dropped the BaF, price went down to $20 thankfully.

Skip BaF and just release Modok or whomever in a battlepack or something.

Toy Gremlin
05-20-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm thinking that they held off so as not to compete with the Avenger toy line.

On a bit of a side note. Has anyone ever submitted a question for those yearly "Hasbro listens to fans" threads? and do they actually listen? A buddy of mine came up with an awesome idea for the MU line. Instead of a stand and an optic blast, fire, energy ray add-on they do a BAF. We could have a MODOK, Kree Sentry, , Lockjaw, Goliath, Volstag, etc. The list goes on. SLightly larger figs then the regular line. Oh well, just a thought.

Man I would love a Kree Sentry

The only problem I think is that then you'd force folks to buy figures they'd otherwise avoid (I've yet to see a wave of MU where I'd want every figure, usually just 3 or 4) AND Hasbro would increase the cost of each figure to pay for the extra plastic used by the BaF part.

That's what happened with Dr Who when they included a BaF "Robot", the figures cost $25 each... in the next release when they dropped the BaF, price went down to $20 thankfully.

Skip BaF and just release Modok or whomever in a battlepack or something.

That's most likely the reason Hasbro decided not to release wave 18. It would compete with their Avengers toys.

I agree. The BaF is a nice idea, but the cost per figure would go up. :( The battle pack route would be a better option. MODOK with 2 AIM Soldiers or something.

t.wizard
05-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Good point. Figures are expensive enough. Speaking of battle packs, has anyone every come across one? I saw one at a Comic Expo but that's it.

CTO15
05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
battle packs haven't been released in Canada. Which sucks.

t.wizard
05-22-2012, 09:48 AM
I was thinking about the BAF idea with the MU line and would the cost rise that much? Most of the figures have some sort of plastic energy item already and a stand. Replace those with an arm or leg and it's not that much more plastic.

Plus, look at the new GI Joe and the amount of guns and ammo (plus the detail. you can load bullets into clips) that Hasbro includes and the price is still decent.

As for having to collect the entire line. Most collector's already do and other buyers probably wouldn't notice or care..... as long as the price is still the same.

t.wizard
05-23-2012, 10:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-tMh2IFrLk

came across this youtube link and got a laugh out of it.

Cheers

thunderboy
05-23-2012, 10:11 PM
never thought i would be able to empathize with Hitler...lol

Napseeker
05-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I was thinking about the BAF idea with the MU line and would the cost rise that much? Most of the figures have some sort of plastic energy item already and a stand. Replace those with an arm or leg and it's not that much more plastic.

Plus, look at the new GI Joe and the amount of guns and ammo (plus the detail. you can load bullets into clips) that Hasbro includes and the price is still decent.

No, no... it would raise the price if we're talking about a big BaF (there wouldn't be much point in doing a normal adult-sized BaF, it'd be simpler just to release it as a basic carded figure). Hasbro has stated that the most costliest part of the figure is the paint apps, especially the face, and right now the accessories that do come with MU figs, are really cheap to include - no paint apps and usually just some simple "powerblast". Paint + a big plastic limb/torso increases the cost.

You can't use GI Joe as an example because it's a wholly-owned Hasbro property; Marvel otoh, is something that Hasbro has to pay *big* licensing fees to, much like Star Wars. If you own the franchise, like Joe, you can take the savings and apply it towards lots of accessories/weapons/gear (which is also a huge part of the Joe appeal to fans too, getting lots of cool weapons; that's not so much a part of either SW or the Marvel appeal).

As for having to collect the entire line. Most collector's already do and other buyers probably wouldn't notice or care..... as long as the price is still the same.

I wouldn't necessarily make a blanket statement that all collectors do buy the entire wave. I actually don't know many that do - the contents of a given wave tend to be really diverse, which is great if you just plain love anything and everything in the MarvelU, but it's a super-broad universe, even more than the Star Wars one, and I see fans having more specific niche tastes. I go almost strictly for the classic-era Marvel myself, and could care less about modern costumes or even the film characters for the most part.

BaF always sounds great to buyers until you get that one BaF that's either an army builder or he's stuffed in a wave of "undesirable" figures that a collector doesn't want to buy e.g. in the recent Star Wars BaF, you'd see a desirable Original Trilogy BaF who was packed in a wave of just prequel-era figures, which really really annoyed those who hated the prequels and didn't want to buy that wave. Buy the completed BaF on ebay? Sure... for $45! Trust me, BaF are just a bad idea for us... sometimes a great idea for Hasbro though.

t.wizard
05-24-2012, 09:30 AM
wow. thanks for the rebuttal. Many good points. I thought it was a great idea for a BAF but when you put it that way it wouldn't work.