PDA

View Full Version : How good are DC Direct toys?

slumdog
10-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey guys, first time poster here, found this site through google. I was never an avid toy collector or anything so I don't know much about this world, but I'm looking at pre-ordering these 2 figures.

http://www.legendsactionfigures.com/en/products.php?prd=402279223&cat=59215350
http://www.legendsactionfigures.com/en/products.php?prd=1926176406

I read somewhere that DC Direct made crappy toys and was just wondering if there was any truth to this? I couldn't find any youtube reviews of these particular toys, so thought I'd check with you guys... What do you guys think of DC Direct?

Also, should I pre-order or just wait for them to come out and check the reviews? Will these sell out fast?

Oh, and does anyone have experience shopping from Legends Action Figures? I also found that site through google

Benzo
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM
DC Direct makes pretty good figures and pretty detailed too, but they lack articulation.

4lott
10-24-2010, 05:28 PM
My only complaint w/ DC Direct is that sometimes the joint pins break. The sculpts are generally really nice. Other people have complained about scale issues between lines, but that's never bothered me. You can order from Legends without any concerns. Steve is a stand up guy!

slumdog
10-24-2010, 10:33 PM
thanks for the feedback guys. to clarify, articulation means how much you can move the limbs and pose them right?

with legends, anyone know how much shipping and taxes to toronto will cost me? their cart system doesnt allow me to figure this out without making an account there

i read somewhere on their site that i get charged GST only to ontario, but they changed GST + PST to HST now.. so am I getting charged the full 13%? And what kinda shipping method do they use?

edit: so you guys think these will sell out fast? I'd like to wait for some reviews, details look good but I wanna see if I can pose them better... not too fond of how they are posed now

cloud
10-25-2010, 01:49 AM
The details on DC Direct figures are their strongest selling points. Sculpt and paint jobs are excellent most of the time. Many of my all time favorite figures are from DC Direct but then again I am a collector that focus on details and sculpts than movements.
DC Direct delivers quality products most of the time like other companies. I havent got a lot of defects. For the record I had one Hush Superman with broken arm as soon as I open the box. There's also a Last Son Superman with two left arms which I got a replacement from the comic store.

I'm not sure about the HST thing but I think you're stuck with 13% if you are buying from Ontario or BC.

For the Arkham Asylum Joker and Harley Quinn, I'll try to break down the joints/articulation judging by the pictures.

Harley should have a cut joint neck(or could be balljoint) so she can look left and right but not up and down. She has 360 movement shoulders(side and swivel, close to balljoints) she also has swivel elbows and cut bicep. Seems like she has cut wrist but I can't tell. And finally she'll probably have a T crotch,swivel knee, cut thigh and cut waist.

Joker on the other hand fairs better. I think he has a balljoint(most likely) neck. cut and swivel elbows(like MU), wrist, shoulders. Shouldn't be surprised that he has a T crotch of up and down movements.

DCD usually has a decent amount of articulation. Joker and Harley Quinn should be decent enough for some play value, posing besides standing there for display.

I would try to pre-order from the comic shop if possible. It's better if you get a chance to choose the figure with the best paint job.

Prowl_2009
10-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Pretty much what has been said, the detail is amazing, much better than DCUC, but the articulation is lacking something terrible when in comparison to the Mattel brand.

pud333
10-26-2010, 06:56 PM
If you're looking for a collection piece to sit on your shelf, DC Direct is fine. If you're looking for a toy, then go with something else.

Evan
10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I bought all the Hush stuff years ago when it was out. Really cool set. Had the odd Superman/Batman figure too, but think I got rid of those, but now wish I didn't!

Stevan
12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I am a big fan of DC Direct and have been collecting their stuff since 2003. I never bought every single figure but only those that catch my eye. Their stuff in my opinion is better then DCUC. However DC Direct is sometimes prone to bad paint jobs and lousy quality control. Their figures do seem to be rather fragile.
My DCD Killer Croc came inside package with a broken arm.
Cassandra Cain Batgirl took a nasty dive from my shelf and her head broke off.
Hawkman's mace snapped in 2 and one of his ear wings fell off as well
Even with all these horrow stories I had I am still a hardcore supporter of DCD stuff and I do recommend it.
There are many jems in their lines such as ED MCguiness JLA classified figures, Kingdom Come, Alex Ross JLA and JSA and many more.
You can see their full range of products on their web site gallery.

www.dcdirectonline.com