PDA

View Full Version : Target coming to Canada...will exclusive JLU line be available in Canada now?

Eko123
01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
On January 13th, it was announced on the news that American retailer Target Corp. will spend $1.83 billion to take over the leases of as many as 220 Zellers stores from the Hudson's Bay Company. These Zellers stores will not be re-branded as Target until 2013.

In the past, Zellers carried some of the G.I. Joe, Marvel Universe and Star Wars Target exclusives...but never anything DC-related.

And up until now, you could only get a handful of the JLU releases from Toys 'R Us and smaller retailers (like the Toys, Toys, Toys stores in Toronto).

Now that Target will have an actual presence in Canada in the near future, does this mean that the Target exclusive animated Justice League Unlimited line will be available in Canada as well? :)

ARROW
01-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Only if the line is still active by the time the stores are actually set up and open. Remember they might not open their doors UNTIL a year or two from now. The JLU line could die any time between now and then.

Also that US stores MIGHT have different product arrangements like Canadian stores, much like how only some US TRU or Walmart exclusives manage to be sold up here.

My honest guess is that is very unlikely that JLU will see the Target shelves up here.

CTO15
01-14-2011, 04:26 PM
there's a chance.

No guarantee though, because Walmart exlcusive don't often come down here.

But for JLU, a 3 pack cost $15.99, so if you can imagine what the price would be here. Probably like $22 or something. Thats craziness. But speculation at this point

Eko123
01-15-2011, 05:01 PM
there's a chance.

No guarantee though, because Walmart exlcusive don't often come down here.

But for JLU, a 3 pack cost $15.99, so if you can imagine what the price would be here. Probably like $22 or something. Thats craziness. But speculation at this point

I know that Walmart Canada operates as a separate company from Walmart U.S. which makes its own ordering decision with regards to products. Apparently, that's why they often don't carry the same exclusives...although there have been some exceptions (e.g. Star Wars, G.I. Joe).

In the case of Target, I'm just wondering if their Canadian division will be operating as a separate entity like Walmart Canada.

ARROW
01-15-2011, 06:20 PM
In the case of Target, I'm just wondering if their Canadian division will be operating as a separate entity like Walmart Canada.
I would say its almost a certainty, and for reasons related to taxation.
That doesn't mean that US exclusives will be automatically excluded from Canadian stores, but it will mean the agreements for those exclusives will be a bit more complex.
For THAT reason, we might not see US exclusives as much or at all.

Remember too, that such exclusives are a TINY, almost minute, part of what Target stores stock. Don't be surprised if the stores up here do not place much emphasis or urgency in bringing them up here.

Eko123
01-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Very true. You bring up a lot of good points.

I have a feeling we'd still see G.I. Joe and Star Wars exclusives like we did when they were carried at Walmart, but I guess it's hard to say if it would be the same with the DC Comic-related products.

Oh well, I guess I can still dream. lol :p

10incher
03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Jlu has been long dead at retail , so nope

CTO15
03-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Jlu has been long dead at retail , so nope

so has this thread lol