PDA

View Full Version : Storage Wars Episode 8 - The Mego Find

Robimus
01-27-2011, 04:15 AM
A favorite show of mine of late has been Storage Wars on A&E. Basically buyer purchase abandoned storage lockers at auction with the hope of making finds in the lockers that will turn them a small to huge profit.

Episode 8 had two of the buyers(Jarrod & Brandi) buying a storage locker for a hefty price of $1700.

Little did they know what they would find at the back of the locker. Carefully packaged were a few different boxes of toys including around 12 original Mego figures from the 1970's - all collectors grade MIB and sealed in protective cases.

An expert apraised their find at between $12-$14 thousand dollars - I don't know about that after having a glance at E-Bay, but that said they did find a lot of cool stuff that was certinly worth more than what they paid.

I nitoced Thor, Lizard Man, Green Arrow, Hulk, two different Spidermans, Aquaman, plus a few more.

Here's the appraisal scene from Youtube. Start at 7:32.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWIvmHU_Rjw&feature=related

FettesVette
01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Sweet! I bet youre more likely to find packaged action figures than to find a harley in a storage auction lol

pandaprime
02-25-2011, 03:14 AM
wtf? This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by A&E.

WTF?

Robimus
02-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Not surprising really. They might have it on A&E.com now.

pud333
02-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I love this show. I recently discovered it last week and watched a marathon. I like how they act like they're in the wild wild west or something. The stuff they find is pretty cool. Saw one dude win a storage container of old newspapers the day after Elvis' death. Estimated value between 60-90K. YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPP!

Prowl_2009
02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Missed this episode. And it was the one I really wanted to see most of all. :rolleyes: Go figure!

10incher
03-20-2012, 11:40 AM
A lot of their finds are setup, most definitely that one is

Robimus
03-20-2012, 12:00 PM

They could be, but what evidence is your statement based on? People clearly do this for a living all over North America.

One percentage I've heard somewhere is that roughly 1 out of every 15 units really equals a solid investment. The fact that Storage Wars(when compared to all the other shows of this genre) actually shows certain buyers losing money week after week makes me think its actually legit.

There have been episodes where no one makes any money.

pud333
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM

They could be, but what evidence is your statement based on? People clearly do this for a living all over North America.

One percentage I've heard somewhere is that roughly 1 out of every 15 units really equals a solid investment. The fact that Storage Wars(when compared to all the other shows of this genre) actually shows certain buyers losing money week after week makes me think its actually legit.

There have been episodes where no one makes any money.

I often wonder that myself, but it's a tv show. Even though it is a "reality" show, it's still a show, and I don't put it past producers to rig things. That said, the reaction by the buyers is genuine I believe, and I still think most of the show, if not all of it, is pretty genuine.

Also, look at someone like Barry. I think I've seen him go for many episodes in a row and not score anything good.

10incher
03-21-2012, 01:23 AM
I actually read a post on a Mego forum where somebody knows the guy who owns those Megos, and still does. I realize it's not real proof, but if a find on the show seems out of place, it probably is. I don't think they are all setup, but a number of them are I am sure. Also read through a post about the show on an Ebay forum where people who also buy storage auctions say allot of the finds are rigged. $20,000 in industrial equipment legit but $20,000 in Megos , definately setup.

pud333
03-21-2012, 12:23 PM
I certainly used to question when in a pile of random clothes, there'd be a $2000 item or something. It was always really strange. I figure most storage locker finds are more boring and your average run of the mill stuff than some of the antiques they find, but it's still very entertaining.