PDA

View Full Version : What do you collect?

CTO15
06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
With so many Action Figure lines out there, what do you guys primarily collect?

My toy collection consists of:

-Marvel Legends
-DC Universe
-Hot Toys (Marvel or DC Related)
-Marvel Universe/other Marvel 3 3/4" figures
-Marvel Superhero Squad
-Marvel Mighty Muggs
-some GI Joes that I can blend in with MU
-Transformers Animated
-Transformers CHUG
-Transformers Movie Figures

Other non-toy collection
-Comic Books
-Movies
-Watches

Prowl_2009
06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Toy Collection

DC Universe Classics
Iron Man 6" figures
Star Wars
Transformers

Other

Movies
Graphic Novels
1:18 scale Diecast Model Cars

Toy Gremlin
06-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Toy Collection:

GI Joe
Marvel 3 3/4" figures (MU & some movie figures)
Lego Mini-figures
Mega Bloks Halo Mini-figures
Random figures from various lines that I find interesting.

HumanEraser LS-02
06-15-2011, 02:49 PM
I not only "collect", but I "play" with my guys. Not really one for displaying. With that said.... I simply just collect G.I. Joes and the 3.75" Marvel figures.

pattycakeman
06-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Well I personally have Toys I actively collect, Toy collections I no longer actively pursue but still display (will still buy them if i find them for dirt cheap), and random collections.

Actively collect:
GI Joe (Modern Era)
MOTUC
Marvel 3 3/4" (MU and some movie figures)
Transformers Masterpiece
Other 3 3/4" figures that will fit in with Joes and MU (Like star wars or other movie lines)
Figures, pieces and playsets i find that would be awesome for dioramas or customizing.

No longer active but still display from time to time:
Vintage GI Joe
Vintage MOTU
Vintage Transformers (Mostly G1 and G2 with some beasts wars mixed in)
Visionaries
MASK
Care Bears
Marvel Legends (but may collect the new line coming in 2012)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Lego Kingdoms, Pirates, Space
World of Warcraft
Ghostbusters

Random Collection of other firgures i may think are cool, or are pretty cool but super cheap (I have LOTS of these).

Hantei
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Hmm, lets see, I'll go with pattycakeman's layout of active and inactive. Though I actively collect a lot, some of the stuff I'll only buy couple figures from.

Active:
G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra
Iron Man Armoured Avenger Legends 6"
Marvel Universe, and movieverse figures
Marvel Select (mostly just movie stuff)
Star Wars Vintage Collection (though very selective)
NECA Player Select (eg. Dead Space, Gears of War, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, ...)
Play Arts and Play Arts Kai (eg. Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, ...)
Revoltech (video game and movie related)
Transformers movie, generations (not much I want right now)
Video Game related figures (anything I didn't cover above)

Inactive:
Beast Wars
Gundam
Jurassic Park, The Lost World
Marvel Legends (will probably restart with the new stuff)
Metal Gear Solid figures (Medicom RAH, and McFarlane)
Onimusha figures (McFarlane, and imported stuff)
The Simpsons playmate figures
SOTA Street Fighter

Others:
Anime
Comic Books
Graphic Novels, Manga
Movies
Soundtracks
TV Series
Video Games

Tkim87
06-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Mainly Japanese toy lines
S.H. Figuarts
Robot Damashii
Revoltech (some)
Figma (some)

TomW
06-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Action Figures:
MU figures
DC figures
Ghostbusters
Animated Figures (Simpsons Playmate, South Park, Family Guy, Futurama)
Some McFarlane Hockey figures
Various others.

Comics/Graphic Novels
Movies

Tom.

JTCh
06-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Transformers
Marvel figures
And any Japanese figures that fancies my interest

tekkamanraiden
06-15-2011, 09:17 PM
A little bit of everything.

pacinofan
06-15-2011, 09:57 PM
-DCUC (probably my "desert Island" collection)
-Marvel 3 3'4
-Mcfarlane Sports Pick NHL (Mainly Leafs)
-Round 5 MMA/UFC
-MOTUC
-Horror action figures
-Star Wars new and vintage
-Hot Wheels Batmobiles (the little ones)

I also have a ridiculous movie collection, mainly horror and cult titles, and I also collect a few comics.

In a perfect world, I'd definitely collect a few Hot Toys.

Drexl
06-15-2011, 11:44 PM
DCUC
DC Direct
Marvel Legends
Marvel Universe
MOTUC
Any Georges St. Pierre figures
Most Chris Jericho figures
POTC Jack Sparrow figures
Toronto Blue Jays MLB figures, bobbleheads, etc.
...& pretty much all of my figures like to collect dust because most of them are out of package!

pud333
06-16-2011, 01:41 AM
In no particular order:

Macross
Figmas
Revoltech
DCUC
Super Powers
GI Joes
Marvel Universe
Transformers

aznpnoy
06-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Transformers MPs (Some)
Transformers Movie Figures (Only the ones that appeared on screen)
Marvel Universe
DCUC
Clone Wars
G.I.Joe POC/ROC
WWE Legends
IM 6"

Robimus
06-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Currently...

Star Wars EU Inspired Figures
Transformers Chug Line

Also both Transformers and Star Wars in a general/selective manner.

Also the odd McFarlane Sports Figure.

Haggis
06-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Transformers are my Main collection
Star wars
Marvel Universe
Cobra Commanders and Destros
Mcfarlenes NJ Devils or GreenBay Packers
DCUC Just lanterns thou

Inzane
06-16-2011, 02:35 PM
GI-Joe 25th/ROC/POC (mainly figures, very limited vehicles)
Tron Legacy - so far just the 4" figures & die-cast vehicles
Lego SW, and a few other select themes (e.g. Ferrari).
IDW GI-Joe comics
1:18 Die-Cast Model Cars (mostly exotics)
DVD & Blu-Ray Movies, and PS2 & PS3 games

That's all I can think of right now.

StaticShin27
08-13-2011, 08:51 PM
- Marvel Universe/3.75" Marvel figures from other lines
- Star Wars 3.75"
- DC Direct 6"-7" figures
- Marvel Legends (slowly)
- Transformers

A large portion would have to be my
- Gundam Model Kits

also,

- Kamen Rider DX toys (mostly Gaia Memories atm)
- Posters :D

narita
08-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I mostly collect and trying to complete the entire singles of Marvel Universe, collect some transformers and DCUC and lego minifigs.

Icetron
08-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Transformers (casually, mostly non-movie stuff)
SH Figuarts (religiously including Kamen Rider, One Piece)
figma (average)
the odd 4" American toy lines (mainly Marvel stuff)
Revoltech and Robot Damashii (randomly)

StarwarsTF
08-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Clone wars is the main line!
MOTU
Thundercats as of Sept!!

cobralegion
08-14-2011, 11:02 PM
GI Joe
Star Wars
Star Trek
Ultimate Soldier
Power Team
Soldier Force
Corps
Rambo
Spawn
and just about anything I find from the 80s.

CTO15
08-15-2011, 12:09 AM
With so many Action Figure lines out there, what do you guys primarily collect?

My toy collection consists of:

-Marvel Legends
-DC Universe
-Hot Toys (Marvel or DC Related)
-Marvel Universe/other Marvel 3 3/4" figures
-Marvel Superhero Squad
-Marvel Mighty Muggs
-some GI Joes that I can blend in with MU
-Transformers Animated
-Transformers CHUG
-Transformers Movie Figures

Other non-toy collection
-Comic Books
-Movies
-Watches

I'm going to have to add movie posters to the list. All CBM so far.

Snoudzy
08-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Here's what's in my collection:

Star Wars - 3.34" Clones and other selected figures. (Active)
Star Wars Lego (Active)
Star Wars Crossovers (Active)
Selected Transformers (Active)
Galactic Heroes
Robot Heroes
Iron Man 3.34" and 6" lines
Playmates Star Trek
Selected Art Asylum/Diamond Select Star Trek
Mega Blocs Halo Metalon's
Macfarlane Halo Reach Figures (Active)

Star Wars Books
Dragonrider of Pern Books
Dune Books
Various Selected Star Trek and Halo Books

Wow, when you see it in a list it's a bit.

Morg
09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I continue to collect:

- Star Wars (has there ever been a more exciting time to be a collector of these lines? Vintage and modern, I love it all but I'm not crazy about the POTF sculpts from the 90s).

- Marvel Universe (As someone with very little room to collect/display/store, getting out of Legends, Select and old Toybiz and into the new MU was a no brainer. Don't love all of the detailing and articulation (or lack thereof), but still a great variety of characters.) Thanks to the Cap stuff I finally have the USAgent figure I craved since I was 10 - weird right?

- DC Universe: Infinite Heroes (love that the scale is more or less compatible with my MU stuff and hate that I took for granted their initial presence at Winners etc., because I'm not having real trouble finding them).

- Thundercats (went absolutely crazy over the past week driving all over town tracking down the initial modern and classic offerings... despite their retarded prices I have no regrets. They will remain my single collection outside the 3.75 scale, they're awesome.

I'm sellling all my old Joes and MOTU... I'd love to get into the MOTU Classics, but I'm intimidated by their price and online exclusivity.

vujonny
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
My toy collection mostly consists of:

- Marvel Select
- DC Universe
- Marvel Universe and other 3.75
- Video game figures ( i.e Mortal Combat, Dead Space )
- Transformers are mostly in box
- 3 FX light sabers
- 6inch Marvel figures like Iron man
- I have some Marvel Legends but waiting for reboot

Collections that got cut
- Star wars. ( just so many figures )
- Marvel Legends ( I came to late in the game )
- Transformers. ( To many figures and just lost my love for it )
- Comics ( They just stack up with boxes and boxes! )

Other non-toy collection
-Games ps3 trophies!

pud333
09-28-2011, 04:42 PM
I have decided to stop collecting Marvel Universe, DCUC and Transformers for the most part. Don't know what I'm going to do with these toys beyond sticking them in storage for now. I'll probably end up selling or giving them away. It's a tough decision, but one I feel good about making. I'm busy painting my condo at the moment and doing some minor renos and moving stuff around, so in the coming weeks, I should have some stuff posted in my sales thread.

I've decided to concentrate mostly on imports.

Macross (I will be using most of my $$$ to this line.)
Figma
Revoltech

GI Joe will be the only N. American line that I will collect. I'm just tired of the shitty quality (durability, paint apps, etc) for the most part of toys made by Hasbro and Mattel, though Mattel seems to be better on that aspect.

Zone55555
09-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Can't believe I never answered this.

I collect Star Wars. Sure I have other things around the house, but I wouldn't call them collections.

I began with an obsession for getting all the droids. I was pretty turned off the figures around the PotF line when they all got the "He-Man" treatment, but at least the droids still looked like what I remembered and I had a warm place in my heart for them.

That very quickly turned into an obsession for getting all the vehicles.

That in turn quickly turned into an obsessive hunt for variants of the vehicles. This was my major downfall price-wise because it led me into expanded universe territory which I'd previously snobbishly turned my nose up in terms of collecting.

Then the figures stopped sucking around the release of the prequels and I began obsessively hunting out figures I liked in addition to the droids... which largely was Clones and Stormtrooper variants at first, then Jedi and Sith... and from there variants of figures needed to complete "scenes".

Now I will pick up almost anything in a figure that I don't have so long as I like it, including hunting down bizarre EU figures and vehicles.

I believe I now own every vehicle variant outside of the Vintage line, and I'm only missing the so-called "Body Rigs" which are the rarest of them all. I've got all the Mini-Rigs and even all the Droids vehicles that saw production. (No White Witch prototype for me, sadly).

I'm pretty complete on all the figures released from the prequels on, and have substantial inroads into the PotF and Vintage eras.

Yes, my wife hates me. A bunch of collectors will hate me too as I'm not a "keep it in the box" guy. I'm not collecting for value, I'm collecting for fun. I've probably "wasted" hundreds of dollars by opening up rare finds to display them.

CTO15
09-28-2011, 05:10 PM
I have decided to stop collecting Marvel Universe, DCUC and Transformers for the most part. Don't know what I'm going to do with these toys beyond sticking them in storage for now. I'll probably end up selling or giving them away. It's a tough decision, but one I feel good about making. I'm busy painting my condo at the moment and doing some minor renos and moving stuff around, so in the coming weeks, I should have some stuff posted in my sales thread.

I've decided to concentrate mostly on imports.

Macross (I will be using most of my $$$ to this line.)
Figma
Revoltech

GI Joe will be the only N. American line that I will collect. I'm just tired of the shitty quality (durability, paint apps, etc) for the most part of toys made by Hasbro and Mattel, though Mattel seems to be better on that aspect.

See, right now I'm kinda in the same boat. Like I still collect these lines, but the drive for collecting them has kinda slowed down. So I won't buy anything new right away.

I'm really excited about Hot Toys and the amazing quality on them, plus my gf thinks this is a more mature line that I should get into. Can't argue with that.

pud333
09-28-2011, 05:32 PM
See, right now I'm kinda in the same boat. Like I still collect these lines, but the drive for collecting them has kinda slowed down. So I won't buy anything new right away.

I'm really excited about Hot Toys and the amazing quality on them, plus my gf thinks this is a more mature line that I should get into. Can't argue with that.

Check your pms, CTO. Thought I'd return the favor you did me recently.

These days, more and more, it's about quality. I don't mind paying more for better quality. Right now, nothing I am interested in really compares to the imports I'm getting.

Scrapper6
09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
My collecting habits fluctuate, once or twice a year I'll get a drive to go out and resume collecting anything I can from a certain toyline that interests me, but eventually I let it sit and wait until I am once again driven to get my hands on something and play the dreaded Catch Up Phase of a Collector's Life.

However I have managed to reduce these urges so I don't go out and just buy crap or the Latest Thing for the sake of having it.

What I currently Collect:

Transformers (Blanket Collecting, I'll buy Generations, Movieverse or anything older from collections I haven't completed yet.)
G.I.Joe Modern Figures Only (Currently I'm starting to feel a strong urge to play catch up with the 25th line as I have a lackluster 3 figures from that collection and my goals for the collection are considerably higher than that. I also get RoC and PoC, I am however leery about getting into the 30th anniversary stuff. May pick up some Cobra Soldiers and Troop Builders from that sub-line only depending on what they look like.)
Star Wars Vintage Collection Mostly, with a few selected figures from older lines with Vintage style articulation. Also, I'm still interested in The Clone Wars sub-line, but I've decided to re-evaluate what I want to collect from it, as I am extremely dissapointed with the lack of proper knee articulation in certain figures.
Marvel Universe/3.75' Comic Series figures from the Movie Toylines. Not aiming for Completionist for this thing, I've got a certain number of figures I'm going to track down and stuff, but others, well I seriously don't need 85 different versions of Spider-Man.
LEGO, just LEGO, I collect many different Themes from this wonderful toyline, but I try to limit the amount of time I spend collecting it as it is considerably expensive. I may want over 500 vintage sets from the late 80's to the middle 2000's, but I'm not actively hunting down older sets. Just wanting them, if I get them great, if I don't... Well it's not the end of the world.
My Little Pony Friendship is Magic (What can I say, I'm aiming to be a completionist for this line, but I'm sort of picking and choosing what I buy so I'm not sure how serious I'll be sticking to that idea.)

Toylines I once collected:
TMNT
MOTU
Batman Movie stuff from the 90's
GIJoe Vintage Stuff from the 80's
Assorted other toylines that I got as a child.

Toylines which I would like to collect someday:
MOTUC
Figure Arts Kingdom Hearts stuff

I was a fool at times in my younger days, seriously, what was I thinking when I got into LotR figures? UGH.

I also collect...

Star Wars Novels
Star Trek Novels
Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms/Ravenloft Novels
Certain Films Which Interest Me That aren't Walt-Disney
MOST ANYTHING FILM/CARTOON RELATED THAT IS WALT DISNEY. (Exceptions include films that just don't interest me, are too stupid looking [Beverly Hills Chiuaus I'm looking at you] and other products that are on the what were they thinking list.)
Transformers Comics
Sonic the Hedgehog Comics
Videogames Mostly Nintendo Platform Titles
Marvel Comics Novels, the older paperback stuff they put out, I've got a fair amount of them, but am looking to get more of them.

Due to budgeting constraints most of my collecting these days is for stuff on clearance, sale or rollback. In fact, I haven't bought a new game or movie since... Come to think of it I think the last game I bought was The Legendary Starfy for DS and the last movie I bought was... Something Disney related.

Marvs
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Star War 3 3/4
Marvel Universe - I finally gave in to collecting this line and now I'm playing catchup.

pud333
10-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Star War 3 3/4
Marvel Universe - I finally gave in to collecting this line and now I'm playing catchup.

If you want an instant MU collection for a fraction of what it costs to buy one, check out my ebay thread. I am selling my collection - 80+ figures all in one shot.

http://actionfigurenews.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=5482

CTO15
10-14-2011, 07:00 PM
So I can cross off Transformers Animated from my list.

Just sold the collection today :(

Sad but it had to go

pud333
10-15-2011, 01:50 PM
So I can cross off Transformers Animated from my list.

Just sold the collection today :(

Sad but it had to go

Sometimes, what must be done, must be done.

That said, I mailed off my entire MU collection and most of my DCUC collection to some happy buyers. Got a fraction for what they were worth, but whatever. They're gone, and I can pay for my SDF-1, so that's all good. Actually, did better than I thought.

After careful consideration this past week, I have revised my collecting habbits as follows. Slow day at work so I got time to type some details:

Macross - All in. Try to buy as much of this stuff as I possibly can. For the money, as expensive as the pieces are, these are engineering works of art, and I get the most pleasure out of these, so they're worth it. Plus, they seem to retain most of their value, if not more for some pieces, just in case I want to sell them later. These will take up the majority of my budget - already eyeing six or seven new valkyries in the coming months.

Revoltech and Figma - buy sparingly. Only figures I really want, especially the Figma line. I can no longer justify buying cool looking figures without knowing what they are, since I don't watch much Anime besides Macross. I have a few preorders remaining that I'll still follow through on for Figma.

Transformers - Only Masterpiece toys, and even then, only ones that represent their G1 counterparts.

GI Joe - Collecting any representation of the original 80's figures, so this means the 30th anniversary figures - minus the useless Renegades toys. Also probably get the figure subscription to the GIJCC.

Things I'm done with, or almost done with:

DCUC - Probably done unless a certain character I really want pops up. I kept a dozen figures, and it looks like that's all I'll carry.

Kenner Super Powers - If there is a toy drought, maybe one day I will plug the holes in my collection, but not anytime soon.

MU - Done like dinner. I found the line uninspiring after six months and should have stopped then, but kept going out of habit. No more! Just tired of the multiple comic pack releases, the crappy QC, etc.

SDCC - I used to love collecting lots of SDCC items, even for lines I don't normally collect, but that's done now. No more, unless a certain figure pertains to a line I currently collect (eg: GI Joe).

MOSC/MISB collecting - Done buying two of things - one to open, one to keep sealed. Just done with it. No space, costs too much, and I never look at them again as they stay in storage, so there's no point. The only doubles I'll be collecting is of GI Joe figures that are still on the classic vintage cards.

Finally, no new toy lines. I gotta draw the line. Only way I would collect a new toy line is if it is replacing one I currently collect. I think that's it. Man, it certainly is a slow work day. Time to go watch some Macross reviews by CollectionDX on youtube.

pandaprime
10-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Finally, no new toy lines. I gotta draw the line. Only way I would collect a new toy line is if it is replacing one I currently collect. I think that's it. Man, it certainly is a slow work day. Time to go watch some Macross reviews by CollectionDX on youtube.

What about Unit:E ???:confused:

pud333
10-15-2011, 03:03 PM
What about Unit:E ???:confused:

I just found out about that two minutes ago. I dont' know if they'll actually make any toys from this. The only thing I'd be interested in is if MASK came back. But then, I'd have to cut something out.

Marvs
10-15-2011, 06:07 PM
If you want an instant MU collection for a fraction of what it costs to buy one, check out my ebay thread. I am selling my collection - 80+ figures all in one shot.

http://actionfigurenews.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=5482

Man! Sorry Pud, I just saw your reply today.

pud333
10-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Ha! No worries!

protoform_ironhide
10-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Transformers mostly. Just start with Mega Bloks Marvel lately! They are sooooo neat, got to love them!

NerfherdersAnonymous
11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Vintage Star Wars (1977 - 1985), main focus is on Canadian Versions....

pattycakeman
11-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Well I have 1 and a half feet out the door on MU, Just too many figures to keep up on and so many varients, no stock anywhere at retail. Finally gave up. So they are all boxed up and dont think ill be coming back to them.

But Ghostbusts is now in the forefront! Love the Mattel 6" line AND the 12" line. Ive never collected anything 12" before but i love these things missing a couple figures still but will fill those in, in time. Also on the lookout for real ghostbusters on the cheap.

Well I personally have Toys I actively collect, Toy collections I no longer actively pursue but still display (will still buy them if i find them for dirt cheap), and random collections.

Actively collect:
GI Joe (Modern Era)
MOTUC
Marvel 3 3/4" (MU and some movie figures)
Transformers Masterpiece
Other 3 3/4" figures that will fit in with Joes and MU (Like star wars or other movie lines)
Figures, pieces and playsets i find that would be awesome for dioramas or customizing.

No longer active but still display from time to time:
Vintage GI Joe
Vintage MOTU
Vintage Transformers (Mostly G1 and G2 with some beasts wars mixed in)
Visionaries
MASK
Care Bears
Marvel Legends (but may collect the new line coming in 2012)
Lego Kingdoms, Pirates, Space
World of Warcraft
Ghostbusters

Random Collection of other firgures i may think are cool, or are pretty cool but super cheap (I have LOTS of these).