ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Action Figure General Discussion (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Action figure collection inquiry (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=15777)

comicbookboy 11-19-2013 09:56 PM

Action figure collection inquiry

I've been collecting since 2008.

I still have many in the packaging, I love collecting and keeping some figures in the packaging, because 1. they look good in the packaging or 2. they are either are very rare figures to find. 3. they don't make them any more.

However, collecting comes with limited space. I've been running out of space to place my packaged figures (closet, shelves, containers) space is getting very tiny.

my question is for a non-trader/seller collector does it really matter if figures are kept in the package or not? and do you open all of your figures.

I have many since 2008 that are still in the package yet i'm still kind of afraid to just open it. (sounds crazy)

HumanEraser LS-02 11-19-2013 10:12 PM

Re: Action figure collection inquiry

I personally open every figure I buy. It's more fun to display them and pose them and such. Seeing as it's mostly all 4" scaled figures, space is never an issue.

PegMan 11-19-2013 11:50 PM

I open one of each (if they're my taste), but I always get doubles or triples of the best for possible trades. That's usually where I'm running into storage problems lol, even with bins of opened figs it's getting out of hand.

My suggestion is that if you display your packaged figs, sort them into groups you'll display them in and keep them boxed together. This way when you change displays, you can just replace the box in the closet (or wherever).

Right now I have a room in the house, it's filling quickly and I only collect 3 lines! Lol

pattycakeman 11-20-2013 10:58 AM

I personally open everything now, I used to collect everything on card, but after collecting that way for many years I completely ran out of room. And let me tell you, the day i decided to open all of my MOC MOTUC or the day i opened all my MOC Marvel legends... they were glorious days.

Now I open 95% of my collections, i may keep doubles of my favorites on card, or ones that are super duper rare, or older toys that i find for dirt cheap that are still in box or on card.

This way i can keep my cabinets filled and its easier to rotate what I have out on display. Its a lot easier to store loose figures are well.

MeisterJ4zz 11-20-2013 12:09 PM

I only have one detolf display case and whatever I want displayed, I'll open. I keep my unopened collection in a bin and they'll have to wait until I decide to display them. If it turns out they have no place in my display case, I'll sell them off. But lately I've been tight with money, so I have to let a lot of them go. :(

I love opening my figures when I get the chance!

Robimus 11-20-2013 12:20 PM

Everything for my own personal collection is open.

That said I do watch for deals to buy extras of things to sell at local conventions.

dinga 11-20-2013 09:08 PM

I'm a hoarder. Yup said it.

I open the ones I like. Set them free. Trying not to buy multiples and trying to be pickier. Trying.

I have not made money on my collection. It is the hunt. Not the sale afterwards.

Enjoy the hobbie. Enjoy the hunt. Enjoy the figure. Life is short.

Alexander Quinn 11-20-2013 11:16 PM

Over the years I've found that a lot of the figures that I thought were really valuable and could sell for a nice amount really haven't skyrocketed in value. So more and more I find myself opening them to get a little extra fun from rearranging my shelves and changing their poses. I still keep some MISB, but only figures that look really slick in package and that seem like they wouldn't display well (or stand up, lol) outside of their little plastic bubbles.

tfHunter 11-22-2013 10:52 PM

I'm with Dinga on this one. I collect for fun. I have no patience for business and have no intention of reselling these guys. I do buy doubles of the figures I deem essential (He-man, Predator Arnie, AO Batman, NECA Turtles etc). I don't have enough display space though, so I rearrange my displays and rotate my figures. Nothing beats seeing a completed team of heroes (or viallains) on your shelf.

Zone55555 11-23-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfHunter (Post 59123)
I'm with Dinga on this one. I collect for fun. I have no patience for business and have no intention of reselling these guys. I do buy doubles of the figures I deem essential (He-man, Predator Arnie, AO Batman, NECA Turtles etc). I don't have enough display space though, so I rearrange my displays and rotate my figures. Nothing beats seeing a completed team of heroes (or viallains) on your shelf.

Absolutely for me too (though my collection is purely Star Wars and not nearly as eclectic).

I collect for me, not for my grandkids. I open and enjoy them and display them when I'm not forced to store them due to space constraints.