ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Action Figure General Discussion (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Macross Toy Reviews (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=5448)

pud333 09-11-2010 11:00 PM

Macross Toy Reviews

21 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I know I am really, really late to the 1/60 scale Macross party (like, years late), but I finally managed to pick up the Yamato 1/60 VF-1S Roy Focker Valkyrie from Do You Remember Love. It was a gift from my girlfriend, and is single-handedly the most expensive toy I own. When it comes to toys, I like to keep it cheap and simple, but I've been staring longingly at this toy for well over a year now, and I finally got my dirty mitts on one! I just kept balking at the $150+ price tag, but I have to say, it is worth every single penny.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/IMG_2250.jpg

The version I have is a repack which includes the iconic strike parts for Roy Focker's Valkyrie. It comes with 12 sets of missile pods, the strike armor, three separate connector pieces to connect to the Yamato stand (which I don't have yet), the gun, a pair of extra movie accurate hands, and a rubbery Roy Focker.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/IMG_2253.jpg

The detailing is amazing. The best part about the toy, IMO, is the cockpit. I love the little rubber Roy Focker that is included. The cockpit itself has this metallic, rainbow hue to it that makes everything just pop. It also has landing gear, and the gun can be stowed away under the plane just like in the movie!

Attachment 1703Attachment 1704Attachment 1705Attachment 1706

Attachment 1707Attachment 1708Attachment 1709Attachment 1710

The strike parts are awesome. Again, the level of detailing is amazing, allowing for the removal of parts of the armor to show a cutaway into the machine details!

Attachment 1711Attachment 1712Attachment 1713Attachment 1714

This is a perfect transformation, in that there are no parts to remove or replace. The transformation is a bit finicky at first, but once you transform it a few times, it's pretty easy to do.

Gerwalk mode:

Attachment 1715Attachment 1716

Battroid mode. This is where I like to change his hands for the more movie accurate look. I have also included a size comparison to Human Alliance Jazz:

Attachment 1717Attachment 1718Attachment 1719Attachment 1720

Finally, this set comes with a little pen light, which has the Skull squadron logo on it. It's nothing special, but kind of a geeky cool extra.

Attachment 1721Attachment 1722

This is a damn near perfect toy. It better be, considering how expensive this toy is. I have to say though, every single penny was worth it. You can really tell where the money went. It's gorgeous.

I should also emphasize the fact that this is a TOY. It's not a model, though it looks like one. It marries beauty and playability. You're definitely not going to want to keep this on the shelf!

Taking the Valkyrie out of the plastic tray for the first time was quite a rush, tell you the truth. I was having a total geekgasm. I am already planning on getting more Valkyries from the Macross Plus and Macross Zero shows, which means I have to clear out a lot of stuff and cut back on other toy lines. It's okay though, it'll be worth it! When I get more of these toys, I'll continue with more reviews in this thread.

Note: The early releases of this figure, as well as the other VF-1 Valkyries, had terrible shoulder pins. They were "knurled," and they would cause stress marks on the plastic and even make the plastic break completely. These pins have "teeth" and sometimes the shoulders would be broken right out of the box. This problem has been fixed with the later releases, with Yamato using smooth pins, so if you are going to spend money on one of these, make sure you get the newer releases. The ones in the DYRL boxes are fine.

racerguy76 09-12-2010 12:44 AM

Re: 1/60 Macross Reviews

Awesome. The price is the only thing keeping me from these beautiful figures.
________
Ford Ed Falcon History

pud333 09-12-2010 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerguy76 (Post 20636)
Awesome. The price is the only thing keeping me from these beautiful figures.

You can still find some deals online, like at HLJ, where the Hikaru strike valkyrie is on sale for 20% off. But that probably still comes to about $150 total once shipping is included. It's still expensive. Just, you know, 20% less expensive.

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00179

pud333 10-06-2010 11:36 PM

14 Attachment(s)
The SV-51 is the enemy valk from Macross Zero, the prequel to the famous Macross series from the 80's. This particular one was piloted by Nora Polyansky. It's in the 1/60 scale by Yamato.

Attachment 1915

This thing is massive. It's about 16 inches long, with a 13 inch wingspan. It comes with extra missiles, a rubbery Nora, and "fast packs" as well as a large stand with multiple attachments for its various modes. It comes with an instruction book, as well as a full sticker sheet. But unlike other Yamato valks, there's no need to really apply most of them.

Attachment 1916Attachment 1917

The SV-51 is a great looking bird. Lots of detail, very tight, nothing hangs off except perhaps the right wing, which seems a little floppy to me. If you turn it upside down, it flops about. It's the only fault with this figure, so I guess I won't be doing any barrel rolls anytime soon with this toy. (The loose wing is something well known to be a problem with this toy.) You can't see it here, but the gun attaches easily beneath the figure in fighter mode.

Attachment 1918Attachment 1919Attachment 1920

Like the other Yamato valks, the cockpit is one of the best parts of this toy. It's so detailed, and the rubbery Nora figure is fully painted. The canopy also lacks the "rainbow" detailing that the VF-1S had. The fighter mode is definitely the best of the three.

Attachment 1921Attachment 1922

The gerwalk mode is the weakest. The transformation is cool and pretty easy, though all the spikey parts make it a little difficult to do without poking yourself. As you can see, it is a bit difficult to set the wings proper, as they tend to sag a little.

Attachment 1923Attachment 1924

The battroid mode is awesome. Very posable, though it takes a little getting used to. I didn't realize the legs locked in at the hips until after a half an hour of struggling with the floppy legs. Once they're locked in, the toy is fine.

Attachment 1925Attachment 1926Attachment 1927

Finally, here it is all geared up and on the stand.

Attachment 1928

This toy is an amazing display piece. The sheer size of it alone is just impressive on a shelf. All in all, I'd say this is a fantastic figure. However, the steep price of it is a bit much. When it first came out, with the currency conversion and cost to ship it from Japan, this figure could cost in excess of $250. I got this during HLJ's sale, where it was massively discounted, and managed to pay only about $100 plus shipping, which is an amazing deal on this toy.

pud333 10-06-2010 11:58 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Next is the VF-0S, the precursor to the famous VF-1. This one is piloted by none other than Roy Focker.

Attachment 1929

It comes with missiles, fastpacks, a rubbery Roy Focker, and attachments for the Yamato stand you have to buy separately. It also comes with an instruction book and sticker sheet.

Attachment 1930Attachment 1931

As you can see, it bears a lot of resemblance to the VF-1. It's more bulkier, larger, less sleek, much like what you'd expect from an early model. The fast packs attach via small magnets, unlike the VF-1S, which uses clips to attach the fast packs. This is very cool, though less stable when trying to fly the plane around (and yes, I did fly it around accompanied by various WHOOSH-ing sounds. I'm not afraid to admit it :clapping:). The gun is stowed beneath the plane in fighter mode.

Attachment 1932Attachment 1933Attachment 1934

The cockpit is very detailed, like the others. It even has a separate clear plastic H.U.D. piece, and bears resemblance more to a traditional cockpit. The best part is the fact that the seat can recline about twenty degrees, to accommodate the change in angle when transforming to gerwalk or battroid mode. Very cool. Like the SV-51, it also lacks the "rainbow" detailing, which I personally prefer. It makes the toy just pop.

Attachment 1935Attachment 1936Attachment 1937

Gerwalk mode. Nothing too different. The transformation is nearly identical to the VF-1S. The shoulder joints were incredibly stiff when I first took him out. I had heard of breakage from other collectors and I was paranoid I'd do the same, so I had to take a screwdriver and loosen the screws slightly. This seemed to work wonders and I haven't had any problems with it.

Attachment 1938Attachment 1939

Battroid mode. As you can see, it is much bigger than its little brother, but still smaller than the SV-51. The SV-51 towers over everything. Very leggy.

Attachment 1940

Final comparison in fighter mode. All three are in the 1/60 scale.

Attachment 1941

The only problem with this toy is the fact that it's not as tight as the other two. In fighter mode, the nose sags a little due to the weight, and the legs aren't tight on the toy. Overall, I'm not too impressed. There's nothing that stands out. The VF-1S is nearly perfect. The SV-51 is almost as good. This one... there's something missing. Maybe it's because there's supposed to be an extra add-on set that includes the Ghost booster that I have yet to get. (I've preordered it, and it should be here in a month or two).

Given the chance to do it over again, I would buy it again, but perhaps wait for a better sale. Still, it's Roy Focker's first Valkyrie, and that counts for something in my books due to him being my favorite pilot. I also got this figure on sale at HLJ for $150 + shipping.

pud333 10-16-2010 11:26 PM

15 Attachment(s)
This review is for the VF-27 Lucifer, which is the enemy valkyrie in Macross Frontier, piloted by Brera Sterne. This is in the 1/60 scale from the chogokin line from Bandai. Besides the obvious fact that this toy comes from a different Macross Series as the other valks I've reviewed, there are some specific tooling that makes this stand apart from the Yamato valks.

It comes with three sets of spare hands, a rifle, a pair of vent covers (which are pretty useless), an attachment for the fold booster (which you have to buy separately) and an instruction booklet.

Attachment 1989

The first difference you see between Bandai's product and the Yamato ones is the plastic itself. This valk is pretty shiny, whereas Yamato tends to use a muted plastic. This bird is gorgeous. Everything is super tight and fit together incredibly well. Nothing flops, nothing falls off. Right off the bat the qc is much better. The gun is huge, almost as long as the toy itself, and can attach beneath the fighter.

Attachment 1990Attachment 1991Attachment 1992Attachment 1993

The detail in the cockpit is nowhere near the quality of the Yamato valks. This toy comes with two rubbery figures - one Brera, one Ranka (one of the female leads). They can be removed.

Attachment 1994

Gerwalk mode. Typical A-stance you see with other valks. What's great is the amount of diecast in the toy. The Yamato valks tend to have diecast on hip joints, landing gear, and the center T bar that helps with the transformation. This valk has plenty of diecast in the most important places. The shoulder joints are diecast (unlike Yamato which has plastic joints that are more prone to breaking), the hip joints, the landing gear, and the feet (which will be shown later). Overall, it gives the toy a nice weight. The VF-1S feels like a featherweight next to this thing. You definitely can tell where your money went.

Attachment 1995Attachment 1996

The battroid mode is awesome. Just awesome. The transformation is pretty easy, but there are so many sharp bits, I basically stabbed myself a dozen times during the transformation. The articulation is great, and the diecast in the feet helps anchor the toy, preventing it from falling.

Attachment 1997Attachment 1998Attachment 2001

The huge gun transforms by splitting in half down the middle, where the beam cannon seen in the anime fires.

Attachment 1999Attachment 2000

Here are the diecast feet. The detail is excellent. The small boosters on the wings are articulated and you can move them in any direction.

Attachment 2002Attachment 2003

Overall, I really love this figure. The design, the weight, the playability... it's great. Second only to the VF-1S. It's pricey though. When this came out, it was well over $220. There are deals to be had though, and you could probably find this for about $150, which is what I paid for it.

Note: there are reports of the paint on the nose cone rubbing off, so when handling, be careful with that area. The paint on mine seems okay, and I've probably transformed it a dozen times now with no issues of paint removal. The only thing I encountered was the little wings by the cockpit that can fall off every now and then when transforming.

pud333 10-24-2010 08:45 PM

15 Attachment(s)
The VF-25G is one of the "hero" valks from the Macross Frontier anime series. Piloted by Mikhail (or Michael/Michel). In the anime, he carries a sniper rifle along with the typical rifle. This is not part of UN SPACEY, but rather a private military force called SMS.

The figure is built similarly to the VF-27, only with some shortfalls. The VF-27 was done after the VF-25's, and rumor is it was a completely different design team. I will go through the faults of this figure later. It comes with a stand, two guns (one is the sniper rifle), armor pieces and fast packs, along with multiple different hands (not pictured. I forgot), a knife (don't ask me why a robot needs to bring a knife to a space gun fight), and attachment pieces to connect the guns to the bottom of the plane in fighter mode.

Attachment 2041

The fighter mode is very nice, with wings that fold back like the VF-1S. I personally really love the Macross Frontier designs. I've included a size comparison to the VF-27. As far as diecast content, it is pretty much exactly like the VF-27. Here you see the first fault: the landing gear is stubby. This is fine for how it looks, but you can't have the gun attached underneath like the other fighters while it has its landing gear on, which is really silly, and something that should have been considered. This is the first major fault with the figure. Ultimately I intend on displaying it with the stand, but still, it would be nice to have that feature. Also, while the cockpit opens, the figure inside is not removable, and looks nothing like Mikhail.

Attachment 2042Attachment 2043Attachment 2044

Here it is all armored up on the stand. Most of the armor pieces attach easily and they stay on, but the hip pieces tend to fall off easily. And transforming the figure with the armor is annoying since the hip pieces fall off, but it's not anything that is so bad it diminishes the figure.

Attachment 2045Attachment 2046Attachment 2047

Gerwalk mode. This is where the second major problem with the figure lies. There are no swivel joints in the thighs, so you can't have the typical A-stance. Major fail in this regard, and Gerwalk is clearly the worst mode. In order to get the A-stance, you need to unhook the hips, which looks fine, but again, this is something of a no-brainer and should have been done right from the beginning.

Attachment 2053Attachment 2054Attachment 2055

Battroid mode. The toy looks so much better in battroid mode with the armor, while in fighter mode I generally prefer the sleeker, non armored look. As you can see, the figure has shoulder missiles that open up. The articulation is limited in the legs due to the armor pieces, which is again, unfortunate, but nothing that is too terrible. The gun splits open at various points for when Mikhail needs to sharp-shoot. I don't see what purpose this has except to look cool. (Tell you the truth, this is why I bought this toy over the other VF-25s) Here is also a final pic without the armor. Aesthetically, I love the design. My only gripe is the fact that unlike the VF-27, there are no shin guards, which means it looks like the VF-25 has flood pants on.

Attachment 2048Attachment 2049Attachment 2050Attachment 2051Attachment 2052

Final thoughts: I really like this toy, but it is nowhere in the class of the VF-27. If the rumors of Bandai changing the design team for the VF-27 are true, then it was a wise decision. While the VF-25G is a very nice toy, it's not as good as the VF-27, and not as playable with all the armor parts. In the future, I pretty much plan on tossing the armor parts into a bin in my closet. When this toy first came out, it was well over $220 due to the import and currency exchange. I got mine for about $150 off Ebay, which is the most I would pay for one of these VF-25 toys. Since Gerwalk is not a mode I particularly care for, it's not as big an issue that it doesn't have thigh swivels, but that just seems like something that should have been done, and could have easily been done. I knew full well the problems of this toy before I bought it. But I didn't care, cause I wanted a 1/60 scale VF-25 from Macross Frontier. The anime is very good. I would only recommend the VF-25 if a) you don't give a shit about gerwalk mode, and b) you're a pretty big macross fan. If you're just a casual fan, better to stick to the VF-1S.

pud333 10-31-2010 08:30 PM

15 Attachment(s)
I have here the 1/60 Ghost Booster add-on pack for the VF-0S. In the Macross Zero anime, the UNSPACEY valks use these unmanned drones to not only fight along side them, but to attach onto the valks and boost their speed and firepower.

Attachment 2082

The toy comes in your typical Yamato packaging. It comes with the instruction book, sticker sheet (which you don't really even use) two different sets of missiles, a couple attachments for the Ghost Booster, and a couple replacement parts (beige and grey) for your VF-0S/A, depending on which model you have, and what looks like a little white camera thing.

Attachment 2083

The Ghost booster is a nice looking plane. Nothing special about it. It has the diecast retractable landing gear, and the rear booster is pretty cool, as it is able to move in various directions. In the anime, the valks use the boosters to alter their flight at sharp angles.

Attachment 2084Attachment 2085Attachment 2086Attachment 2087

Here is the VF-0S fully armored. In my review of the VF-0S, I mentioned that it was missing something. Well, it was missing the Ghost Booster, because this looks pretty bad-ass all decked out. Here it is in fighter, gerwalk and battroid mode.

Attachment 2088Attachment 2089Attachment 2090Attachment 2091Attachment 2092Attachment 2093Attachment 2094Attachment 2095Attachment 2096

I really like the Ghost Booster. It does do wonders to the VF-0S. I paid $50 for it. If you can, try to find the bundled VF-0S/Ghost Booster pack, which should save you about $20-30.

racerguy76 10-31-2010 11:49 PM

These are all so beautiful. That's a great set you have there.
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa

pud333 11-01-2010 12:14 PM

Thanks! I'm going to look into getting a vf-1a next and possibly one of bandai's hi metal 1/100 valks which are much cheaper.

racerguy76 11-01-2010 12:56 PM

I ordered one of these cause they are such a good deal(ie in my price range)! The closest I ever had to a macross toy was my G1 Jetfire.

http://www.automatontoys.com/item.as...ckerMacross083
________
Mexico City

pud333 11-01-2010 01:37 PM

Cool! I used to own those before I sold them once I started getting into the pricey valks. Another one you might want to check out is the Bandai Hi Metal series. The revoltechs are tiny, and the Hi Metal is a bit bitter, but more expensive than the Revoltech, obviously, but not as expensive as the 1/60s. It's in the 1/100 scale. I mean, you're still looking at about $70 per figure, but it's half the price of the new re-released 1/60's and everyone I've come across that has this one says it is the next best thing. Great articulation, almost perfect transformation (the landing gear doesn't retract and it gives two sets of wings. One for missiles, one without, and a heat shield. Basically you swap those parts out). It has some diecast in the feet and joints. Here's a video review of it. It looks fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3cxVCoshX4

Buy it here:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN958460

Next couple months they are releasing Roy's jet, but it's pricier due to having the fast packs.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN961438

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the quality and price range between the Revoltech and Hi Metal series. The Toynami 1/100s which would run you about $30 and are probably more solid than the Revoltechs, are pieces of shit. :( The Revoltechs look nice but are finicky, so if you want a display model, Revoltechs are fine. But if you want a toy, you'll have to up your price to the Hi Metals.

Edit: Be careful about displaying your revoltech. I had mine in fighter mode on the stand, and because the stand is at the end of the nose, and the nose is a separate piece they glued on, instead of making the cockpit one complete piece, over time, you will see gravity start to weigh down the toy, and eventually the nose can split apart from the rest of the toy. I only caught this after a week and had to stop displaying it on the stand whenever in fighter or gerwalk mode. The nose of my valk was permenantly bent. :( Luckily I had two at the time so I was okay with displaying the damaged one in battroid mode.

racerguy76 11-02-2010 02:39 PM

Yeah, I'm impressed with the detail on the toy. Very delicate tho. I'm glad I got such a good price on it. It's not nice enough to make me want more of them, but I'm glad I checked it out. I do see you reasoning for going with the more expensive items. The quality looks about a 1000 times better.
________
IPAD ACCESSORIES

pud333 11-02-2010 08:52 PM

You definitely paid a good price for it. I think I paid about $25 for mine at the time. I think if you're really wanting a Macross figure, get the VF-1S Roy Focker DYRL? anniversary set. If it came down to one valk, that's the one to get. It's worth it. HLJ.com has the Hikaru one (red and black) for $130 right now. When I get my hands on a Hi Metal, I'll probably do a review here, but that won't be until I get back from my vacation, which is in December.

racerguy76 11-03-2010 12:21 AM

Awesome. I did not need to browse that website.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN960994 Amazing!

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN966788 I totally want a couple of these for fodder.

*wallet hides under couch*
________
Buy Glass Pipes

pud333 11-03-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerguy76 (Post 22880)
Awesome. I did not need to browse that website.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN960994 Amazing!

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN966788 I totally want a couple of these for fodder.

*wallet hides under couch*

Yeah, the Monster looks amazing. Supposedly it's not in scale with anything, but the closest would be 1/100. It's too rich for my blood right now, so I'll wait for a big sale, which I'm sure there will be in a few months.

If you like regults, check this out:

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMTGK-14

The price is insane. But a 1/60 scale Regult would be awesome. Maybe one day if I win the lottery...

I did just order a hi metal VF-1J. I figured I'd have it delivered to my work, so when I get back from vacation, I'll have a nice little package waiting for me.

pud333 12-05-2010 04:51 AM

18 Attachment(s)
So I got the Bandai 1/100 Hi Metal VF-1J Hikaru Valkyrie and I have to say it's a good toy.

The Hi Metal series is Bandai's answer to Yamato's dominance in the Macross toy franchise, albeit in a smaller, 1/100 scale. Despite the name, there is barely any metal in the toy. The only metal is in the feet and the main sway bar for the hips/legs. That's it. But I suppose it technically has more metal than the Yamatos. The toy comes with multiple replacement fists, replaceable vents, landing gear, heat shield, stand parts, extra wings for missiles, the trademark Vaklyrie gun, and an extra pair of antennas for the head.

Attachment 2326Attachment 2327
Attachment 2328

This toy is not a perfect transformation. There is parts swapping, which basically means the landing gear, wings, heat shield, hands, etc. are all meant to swap out depending on what you want the toy to be doing. No built-in parts here. At the 1/100 size, it would be impossible to do a perfect transformation.

Fighter mode: very nice and it speaks for itself.

Attachment 2329Attachment 2330Attachment 2331Attachment 2332

Gerwalk mode:

Attachment 2336Attachment 2337

Battroid mode:

Attachment 2338Attachment 2339Attachment 2340

Comparison pics with the 1/60 Yamato:

Attachment 2341Attachment 2342Attachment 2343

Some specific bits: The cockpit is nowhere near as detailed as the 1/60 Yamatos, nor is the fighter removable. And Hikaru looks a bit small sitting there. The feet, while metal, are kind of flimsy. It seems there's more articulation than necessary, resulting in some odd angles on the feet. But the shoulder joint transformation is very interesting. All the Yamatos pretty much swivel out from the shoulders, which is a bit awkward due to the tight confines of that area, but the Bandai works on an innovative bar where the shoulders just slide out and then swivel out. Very nice.

Attachment 2333Attachment 2335Attachment 2334

Final thoughts: While the 1/100 is a nice toy, it still pales in comparison to the 1/60 Yamatos. It's sort of unfair to compare the two lines, due to the size differences (it's sort of like comparing a 3.75" toy with its 6" counterpart). However, that's not going to stop me from comparing the two.

The superior toy is the 1/60 line. Hands down. Perfect transformation beats parts swapping any time. The detail is better in the 1/60, everything fits tighter and seems stronger. The Hi Metal felt a lot like the Revoltech Valkyries (and basically the same size, maybe a smidgen bigger). And it's tiny for the price you are paying. I got this figure from Angolz for about $62. Not only that, but the wings on mine are very loose. It's an unfortunate side-effect of having swappable wings, which I think was completely unnecessary. The 1/60s also seem more accurate, and not as tubby in fighter mode.

At the end of the day, if you have a strict budget and cannot budge from it, then by all means get the Hi Metal. It is probably the best toy for the cheapest price possible with these toys. Unfortunately, due to all the tooling and engineering, as well as the fact that Macross really doesn't have a huge fan base compared to something like Transformers or even Gundam, you will always pay a premium for these toys, short of some major sales which do happen frequently enough. It's just the reality of being a Macross fan in North America. If you want the perfect version, save your pennies and spring for the 1/60s.

Another unfortunate part about the Hi Metals, which I should mention, is that many of the other Skull squad valkyries (VF-1A Max, Hikaru and Kakizaki), are only available as Tamashii web exclusives. Which means you pay an arm and a leg to get these imported to Canada. I don't know if Bandai really has the desire to support these in full retail the way Yamato does. The VF-1J Max version of this toy is also a Tamashii web exclusive. I won't be diving into this line until price drops dramatically or, let's face it, I get bored and run into a toy drought and need my plastic crack fix. FYI: HLJ has their big Yamato sale on until December 24th. If you ever wanted a valkyrie, now is the time to get one. Some deals up to 40% off right now.

pud333 12-05-2010 05:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the Queadluun Rare Klan Klang custom from Bandai's Robot Spirits line. This is actually from Macross Frontier, but I like to use it as a stand-in double for Milia's Queadluun from the Macross show. There is no scale for the Robot Spirits line. While this looks like a 1/100 figure, it isn't. It's smaller than the Hi Metal, when it should be as big or bigger.

Attachment 2344Attachment 2345Attachment 2346

The figure comes with a detachable gun and missile pods that open up. The chest opens up to reveal Klan Klang and her ample bosoms (the Japanese and their fetish for aliens with physically impossible chest sizes always amuse me). Overall, the toy is very plastic and cheap feeling, but has decent articulation and looks great next to the Hi Metal. Still, it is overpriced at about $32 + shipping. Should be more like $20, IMO.

Attachment 2347Attachment 2348

Just because I've had some inquiries: The best places to look for deals on Macross toys are HLJ, Amiami, Angolz.

pud333 12-24-2010 03:29 AM

Re: Macross Toy Reviews

9 Attachment(s)
A couple quick reviews. First up is the TV series version of the perfect transformation Yamato 1/60 VF-1S Roy Focker valkyrie.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/politik1/1-5.jpg

For all intents and purposes, the actual mechanics of this version are no different than the Do You Remember Love 1/60 Roy Focker (review on the first page of this thread). There are a few changes though that make it more TV accurate. I intend to keep this toy MIB, so I won't be transforming him or putting any stickers on, but some of the major differences will be shown here. If you need to know what it looks like in the other modes, then just look at the first review and pretend it's whiter. :)

First off, all the accessories are the same, except this one doesn't come with the strike parts and it lacks the extra set of missiles. (There is a separate release with strike parts). And as you can see, instead of the movie hands, this one comes with the marshmallow hands that are shown in the TV series.

Attachment 2477Attachment 2478

On the left is the TV version, and it's white. Very white to match the look of the Macross TV series. (sorry for the dark pictures, but the flash made everything look the same). Personally, I really dig this really white look over the off-white, but then, I've always been a sucker for white toys. (eg: Ultra Magnus)

Attachment 2479

The pilot is different. Here, Roy is wearing his blue flight suit from the TV series, vs the movie version yellow flight suit. Also, you can see the mold itself is all new. The TV Roy is holding a little flight stick.

Attachment 2480Attachment 2481Attachment 2482

The canopy and cockpit are also different. The cockpit has a different screen than the movie version, and the canopy lacks the rainbow tint that the movie version has. I prefer the rainbow tint, cause I think it makes the toy pop sitting on the shelf. Everyone I know who has come into my toy room has commented on how great the toy looks. Going forward, this is a new running change Yamato has decided to do with their future valkyrie releases.

Attachment 2483Attachment 2484

The crotch connection is also different. On the left is the TV version which has the new crotch mold, vs the movie version. Again, this is a new running change. The older crotch was harder to connect the hips in. The new crotch makes it much easier.

Attachment 2485

Those are the major differences between the two toys. There are some minor details, such as a black arrow on the head of the valkyrie instead of yellow, but those are just cosmetic. I got this from HLJ.com during their big Yamato toy sale. It was on for a cool 40% off, so I got it for approximately $70, which is an absolute steal. The price is so good, it's almost criminal not to buy one. The sale ends December 24th, so if you have been waiting to jump on the Valkyrie bandwagon, this is the time to do it. During the month the sale has been on, I've seen it go in and out of stock three times! Considering the quality of the toy and the super low price right now, it's no surprise. I almost want to get another one just so I could pose in Battroid with his puffy hands! But then I would have three of the same toy and that's overkill, right? :D

The reason why I chose this one over the one with the strike parts, is because in the TV series, Roy never flew the VF-1S with strike parts (unlike in the movie). This is the only version that comes with Roy in his blue flight suit, which is why I bought it. Yamato has never done this in the past. The one with the strike parts comes with Hikaru.

The overall design changes are great, and make the toy even better than possible. My only quibble is I wish they kept the rainbow tint, but that's nothing, all things considered.

pud333 12-24-2010 03:43 AM

9 Attachment(s)
This review is for the perfect transformation Yamato 1/60 VF-1A Do You Remember Love? Max and Kakizaki. These guys are two out of the four Skull Squadron pilots, the other two being Hikaru and Roy Focker. The VF-1As are from the beginning of the DYRL? movie.

Everything is the same as the VF-1S Roy Focker toy, with a few differences. As you can see, they look exactly the same (Max on left, Kakizaki on right). The only differences are the paint schemes. Max is blue, Kakizaki is green. (sorry, photos are so dark they look the same, but trust me, one is blue, one is green) :)

Attachment 2486Attachment 2487Attachment 2489

The pilots are the same mold, only with different colors. The canopies lack the rainbow tint of older releases. Also, like the TV version of the VF-1S (review just before this one), these have the new crotch designs for better / easier transformation.

Attachment 2488

Gerwalk mode: Here I've only transformed Kakizaki to show off the other modes.

Attachment 2490Attachment 2491

Battroid mode: As you can see, the head is different than the VF-1S.

Attachment 2492Attachment 2493

And finally, the fast packs can have their casings removed to show the detail inside. These toys are great, because as I said in other reviews, they look like models, but are fun toys.

Attachment 2494

I picked both up from the Yamato sale at HLJ.com for 40% off, which made them about $90 a piece. Again, a great price for such a wicked toy. The sale lasts until December 24th. The only one I need now is the VF-1A Hikaru, which is the red and black deco. Unfortunately, Macross collectors are still awaiting a re-release on the toy, since previous releases have all had QC issues of cracking shoulders. So do not buy that one unless it is re-released. To my knowledge, there are no plans for a re-release, and any version of the VF-1A Hikaru valk you find online and on eBay are the old ones with the shoulder problems.

pud333 01-28-2011 05:33 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Bandai's VF100's 1/100 scale VF-25 Messiah Valkyries. In clockwise order: Alto, Ozma Lee and Michael.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/politik1/A.jpg

These are valkyries from the Macross Frontier TV show. They're in the smaller 1/100 scale, and they are parts formers. Fair warning: when I say parts former, I don't mean you swap out a few bits and pieces. Unlike the Hi-Metal line, these parts formers completely embrace the concept of it, meaning nearly every single piece is swapped out. The point of this was to eliminate any unsightly hinges and to keep it as anime accurate as possible.

Attachment 2674Attachment 2675

These are basically repaints of each other, but there are some original parts, like the head sculpts:

Attachment 2676Attachment 2677Attachment 2678

Like I said. Parts former. There is only one solid main piece, and the rest you have to basically disassemble completely. If you're looking for a transforming toy, you will be sorely disappointed. It's like putting together a model, then taking it apart and putting it back together, and doing it all over again.

Attachment 2679

Gerwalk mode: Easily the weakest of the modes, but then, maybe it's because I don't particularly care for the gerwalk mode of any valk in general.

Attachment 2680Attachment 2681

Fighter mode: Like the Battroid mode, this mode is very anime accurate. I think these are the best looking valk designs since the original VF-1s. Michael's valkyrie comes with an extra set of spare wings, which have the speakers attached to them. This is so you can replicate the scene in the show where Ranka sings for the Zentradi soldiers and her voice is amplified through the speaker system.

Attachment 2682Attachment 2683Attachment 2684Attachment 2685Attachment 2686Attachment 2687

Attachment 2688Attachment 2689Attachment 2690Attachment 2691Attachment 2692Attachment 2693

Michael has a different gun also, his sniper gun, which comes in little pieces. The regular Messiah guns also come in two versions (non-transformed and transformed). This seems a bit silly to me, since I feel they could have easily thrown in a transforming gun, but then, it wouldn't be a full on parts former. There are some QC issues, like the gun on the right, where you can see it is warped.

Attachment 2694Attachment 2695

Pros: Very anime accurate, looks great. Despite the fragile nature, it is quite posable and while it doesn't have the pick up and play feel of a regular toy, you can still sort of play with it. If that makes any sense. Honestly, these should just sit on your shelf as they will be doing on mine. These also look awesome with the Konig Monster, which is reviewed right after this.

Cons: It's a pain in the ass to transform, and it is fragile. I dropped one from one foot up, and it landed on the landing gear and broke one of the wheels. Lots of pieces. I mean... lots. What kills me about this is everything is in place to have a near perfect transformation valk. Bandai just didn't want to do it, but if they had, I shudder to think what price they would have charged.

Honestly, I cannot recommend this unless 1) you're desperate for an anime accurate Messiah, 2) you can find this for $20 or less. Originally these things sold for well over $50 each, which is outrageous for basically a frail model. I got mine for 65% off from the HLJ sale, and you can find these now on Ebay for around the $20 price.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/politik1/C.jpg

pud333 01-28-2011 05:53 AM

14 Attachment(s)
Bandai's DX Chogokin Robot Damashii VB-6 Konig Monster.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/politik1/b.jpg

This is, flat out, an amazing toy. Amazing. It's mostly plastic, but there is a healthy amount of diecast, mostly in the joints, so when you lift it, you can feel the heft.

Attachment 2696

Fighter mode: The toy comes with some stickers you can put on the sides. I opted for the Sheryl stickers to replicate the movie look of the Monster. Also, it comes with a stand to use in all three modes with different extensions depending on which mode you chose to display it in.

Attachment 2703Attachment 2704Attachment 2705Attachment 2706

Monster mode: This is the iconic mode from the show. It is wicked. It looks angry and ferocious and just plain mean. There is a back hatch which, in the anime, comes down and braces against the ground or wall so when the Monster shoots from its large cannons, it doesn't get blown back. However, as you can see, the toy version doesn't quite work out. The back hatch barely touches the ground.

Attachment 2697Attachment 2698Attachment 2699

Battroid mode: I don't recall ever seeing this mode in the show. It is easily the weakest mode, and I probably won't ever be displaying it like this. You can have the guns propped straight up, but I prefer them to be bent forward.

Attachment 2700Attachment 2701Attachment 2702

This is what it's all about:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/politik1/D.jpg

As you can see the scale works. I believe the Robot Damashii line is a non scale line, however, I recall someone on Macrossworld saying it wasn't quite 1/100, but close enough.

Attachment 2707Attachment 2708

In flight:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/politik1/E.jpg

Attachment 2709

Final thoughts: I love this toy. Pros: Everything is tight, every joint clicks and falls perfectly into place. It's heavy, it feels like it is worth every penny.

Cons: The back hatch not touching the ground fully... and... I'm just nitpicking. This thing is perfect. When Bandai does something wrong (1/60 VF-25) they really get it wrong, but when they do something right (Monster), they knock it out of the park.

I honestly haven't put this thing down since I got it a few days ago. It originally retailed for close to $200 Cdn, but you can find it at Amiami for 29% off, at about $135. There are two versions for sale, this one, and the special Sheryl version, but that one comes with a larger stand for an extra $45, which is not worth it. get the regular version. Just buy it. You'll be happier for it. :clapping:

aznpnoy 01-28-2011 08:03 AM

**drools** that is HUGE! thanks for the review.

pud333 01-28-2011 05:14 PM

Yeah, she's pretty big. She can stand up taller too in Monster mode, but I like the crouching position. Built rock solid as well.

racerguy76 01-30-2011 01:52 PM

Man, I have have a raging nerdon for that monster!

Fighter mode is soo badass. Battroid mode is phenomenal, love the back hatch detail. I'm sure the super heavy Moster sinks into the ground a bit when walking about. I'm sure it touches the ground then. ;)

pud333 02-07-2011 11:47 PM

18 Attachment(s)
Bandai's 1/100 scale Hi-Metal VF-1S Roy Focker. This is from the Macross film Do You Remember Love?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/P1060022.jpg

This is a great toy. Like the VF-1J, this is made out of quality plastic and has some diecast (feet, swing bar) but it comes with strike parts. It also comes with extra sets of hands, stand parts, landing gear, extra set of wings for the missiles it comes with, and a removable heat shield.

Attachment 2790Attachment 2807

This is a parts former, but unlike the Messiahs, this is mostly a perfect transformation. You just have to swap out the wings, heat shield, landing gear and hands.

Fighter mode:

Fighter mode looks great, both with and without strike parts. It isn't as tight as the Yamato 1/60's, but it's still pretty cool.

Attachment 2791Attachment 2792Attachment 2793
Attachment 2794Attachment 2795

Some comparison pics with the 1/60 Yamato, which I still consider as the definitive Valkyrie. As you can see, it's very close in design and look to the 1/60. The articulation is very comparable too. The detail isn't quite as perfect as the 1/60. For example, there are no extra stickers or decals to make it exactly like the anime. Also, the skull logo on the heat shield is too high, but I'm just nitpicking here.

Attachment 2796Attachment 2797Attachment 2798
Attachment 2799Attachment 2800Attachment 2801Attachment 2802

Close up of the head sculpt and cockpit (Hi-metal on left, Yamato 1/60 on the right). The Hi-Metal's pilot is not removable, and the canopy doesn't open; more like comes off since you need to replace it with the heat shield for transformation. Overall, the Yamato looks more sleek to me, but the Hi-Metal still looks fantastic.

Attachment 2803Attachment 2804
Attachment 2805Attachment 2806

Final thoughts: Overall, just a great little toy. It still has the problem that the VF-1J had with regards to the feet, where it seems loose and over-articulated. However, if you can't afford the 1/60's, then this is your next best choice. It's sold out or on backorder at most online stores, but you can pick this up at amiami for 26% off, which comes in around $56. It's expensive for the size, but it is awesome. Highly recommended if you don't mind a bit of parts swapping.

pud333 02-08-2011 11:56 PM

Quick look at some Flight Pose stands I picked up. These are pretty expensive, at about $12.99 - $14.99 each, but they're really nice if you have a few pieces that you want to display prominently. They come in three different stand sizes: 2.5", 4" and 6". They are sturdy, with rubber stoppers at the end of each stand that helps hold up your toy. You can get them at Flightpose. Considering their high price, just make sure whatever you put on these is worth more than the stands. Cause, it would be kind of silly to have the stand worth more than the toy you put on it. Just sayin'. :)

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/P1060027.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/P1060029.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/P1060028.jpg

pud333 10-15-2011 11:01 PM

Been months since I've done a Macross review, so Ima just gonna continue on and pretend I've been consistant:

First up is the 1/5000 scale SDF-1 (Super Dimensional Fortress). This is the movie version from the film, Do You Remember Love? Made by the company Wave. It's a small figure, about 9-10 inches tall. But the detail is incredible. As you'd expect from a toy like this, there isn't a ton of articulation for what is basically a giant space fortress. There are joints in the arms, shoulders, legs, and the famous cannons can be tilted forward.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo1-5.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo5-3.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo2-3.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo3-3.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo4-3.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo1-6.jpg

The toy is transformable. It's a perfect transformation, and the cruiser mode looks just as nice as the fortress. The figure also comes with a stand that can be used in both modes. There's a replacement attachment that allows for displaying in either mode.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo3-5.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo2-5.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo1-7.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo5-4.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo5-5.jpg

Some size comparisons.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo2-6.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo4-4.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo3-4.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo2-4.jpg

Overall, it's a really nice collector's piece. It doesn't have the integrity of a "toy," as it seems a bit fragile, which is a bummer, considering the approximate $150 price tag on such a detailed figure. Still, it's a very nice version of the SDF-1, especially for those who don't want to pay $400 for the 1/3000 scale version.

pud333 10-15-2011 11:17 PM

Yamato's 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru Custom with GBP armour.

Next up is Yamato's 1/60 scale VF-1J Hikaru custom. The VF-1J toy is the same mold as the VF-1S and VF-1A (see previous reviews), except the head sculpt is different, and it has the iconic paint scheme that represents Hikaru's valkyrie form the Super Dimensional Fortress TV show. Or, if you prefer, Rick Hunter's valkyrie from Robotech, as we've come to know it in North America.

I'm not going to go into detail about the VF-1J, since the mechanics of it is the exact same as the previous VF-1 valkyries, and you can see the obvious differences in the photos. I think the crisp, bleached white with basic red stripes makes the valk look amazing. (I am a sucker for white robots).

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/pud333/VF1.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/pud333/VF2.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/pud333/VF4.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/pud333/VF6.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/pud333/VF5.jpg

The GBP armour is the same one that Hikaru used during the tv show. You basically assemble it onto the valkyrie in battroid mode. There are little pegs to clip onto various parts, such as the legs, arms, torso, hips, backpack, etc. Like nearly every Yamato release, you get a sticker sheet to customize it as much as you want - or as little, if you are a minimalist. Personally, I like to make it look just like the show, with some extra stickers for added detail.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/pud333/VF7.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/pud333/VF8.jpg

The armour's main gimmick, are the pod doors that open up to reveal an arsenal of missiles, ready to shoot down any enemies. As you can see, there are missiles facing forward, backwards, etc. Also, the boosters on the backpack are individually articulated. Not much, but they do move.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...ud333/VF10.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...d333/VF101.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...ud333/VF11.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo1-4.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo2-2.jpg

The armour also comes with extra parts to fill in any gaps in the VF-1J. Due to the nature of the transformation, there are inevitably gaps under the arms and behind the head. All you have to do is clip these in and shazzam! No gaps.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo3-2.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo4-2.jpg

What I really appreciate about the armour, is that it doesn't hinder the already amazing articulation of the VF-1J. This is a huge plus, since previous armour incarnations would basically make your toy a giant brick. The MSRP is about $90 on this figure, but well worth it. This is easily the coolest thing I've bought for Macross since the DX Chogokin Koenig Monster. If you're a fan of the TV series, you owe it to yourself to buy one of these to go with your VF-1J. The VF-1J alone without FAST packs is approximately $110.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo5-2.jpg

pud333 10-20-2011 01:47 PM

SDF-1. Or SUPAH DIMENSIONAL FORTRESSUUUU!

My holy grail. This is the Yamato 1/3000 scale SDF-1 from the Macross film, Do You Remember Love? This is, quite bluntly, a beast.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4584.jpg

First off, I always felt that when toys get too big, they start to lose a certain appeal for me. They start to look like giant plastic bricks. The SDF-1 is not one of those toys. Like everything Yamato does for the Macross toy line, this is model detail in toy form. And it is a TOY.

Cruiser mode:

The SDF-1 is nearly 17 inches long from tip to end. It is an impressive piece of engineering and design. The amount of detail is staggering. It comes with a stand that has multiple attachments to display the figure in both cruiser and attack modes.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4599.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4600.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4602.jpg

The platforms (or the ARMDs) actually come off and they are ships in their own right. Though I won't be displaying them as such, since they were hella difficult to attach. It took me a good half hour almost to attach both platforms since I was afraid I was using too much force and would break them. But the truth is, you have to use lots of force. Don't worry, the toy is durable. The first one attached almost immediately, but the second took forever.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4604.jpg

This figure is very menacing from certain angles. Very impressive.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4607.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4612.jpg

The attention to detail is so amazing. As you can see, the detail on the bridge, at the back where you probably won't see often due to how it would be displayed; everything. Yamato really left no stone unturned.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4613.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4606.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4605.jpg

The left leg has a compartment with some added features. There is a viewing window that is clear on one side, so you could imagine seeing Minmay singing there, and then you can flip it over so it is shielded with armour.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4608.jpg

You can also pull off the plate, revealing Macross City!

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4611.jpg

The transformation is pretty simple. I won't go into the details, since there are plenty of Youtube videos showing transformation, but despite the simplicity, it is a lot of fun to transform, due to how sturdy the toy is. To be continued next post...

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4615.jpg

pud333 10-20-2011 01:48 PM

Attack mode:

The SDF-1 stands at nearly 17 inches. It looks so impressive, with the giant Macross cannons that can obliterate anything in their path. The attack mode is what this toy is all about. The articulation is good for a toy like this. I mean, you won't be doing the splits at any point, since it is a flying fortress after all. In the anime, it actually barely moves beyond rotating the cannons down and moving an arm or two. But here, there is articulation in the shoulders, elbows, the platforms can rotate 360 degrees, the legs have articulation at the hips, and of course the cannons come down and they lock in place with the touch of a well disguised button on each cannon.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4616.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4617.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4618.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4621.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4619.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4620.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4629.jpg

Again, the detail is ridiculous. The back is probably the most impressive view of the toy. Also, there is plenty of diecast. The diecast is mostly in the major support joints, as it should be, since I feel diecast tends to limit articulation most of the time, but as support joints, it really works well.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4623.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4628.jpg

You can tilt the stand so it leans forwards or backwards, however you like to pose the SDF-1. Personally, this is my favorite pose. Slightly forward, cannons at the ready, about to kick some Zentradi ass.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4626.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4624.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4627.jpg

Pros: Everything. This is a beast of a toy, and just a magnificent display piece. This is the centerpiece to my entire Macross collection. My holy grail. Words can't really do justice as to how amazing this toy is. I believe the photos speak for themselves. Anime accurate is an understatement. It's fun to play with, fun to look at. Also, I cannot stress enough that this is a toy. It has the structural integrity and durability to be played with.

Cons: Nothing. But if I had to nitpick, which I will, it's the following. 1) Color. It's kind of a boring color, but that is how it pretty much looked like in the movie. 2) Price. I purchased mine at HLJ, which had it on for 27,880 yen - roughly $360 cdn. Regular MSRP is 32,800 yen. 3) It comes with a bunch of plastic pieces on sprues that you have to cut off and then attach to various spots on the toy. These are mostly to cover up exposed screws. While I appreaciate that no screws will be showing, I'd rather they did this at the factory. I know they did it to cut down on costs, but I would rather pay an extra $5 or $10 to have that done for me. It took me nearly 2.5 hours to put every piece in place. I'm not a model builder, so that was annoying. Some you could just push in, others it was better to glue on. It was a project.

Yes, you are paying a boatload of money for one toy, but what a toy it is. And that's the best part: it's durable. It's a toy. The weakest points are obviously the head, the prongs at the very front of the cannon (which can go in and out depending on which mode you have it in), and the shoulder bits. But so long as you are handling those areas with care so as to not stress the plastic, you will be fine. It's inevitable there will be weak points, since this is as anime accurate as you're ever gonna get.

If you are a Macross fan, and love the original TV show and movie, you need to own one of these. You will not be disappointed. It's sold out most places, but you can still find some on ebay and a few online stores like HLJ. There is another, cheaper version of this toy, but it is unpainted and not completed. It is for model builders only, and you have to put the whole thing together. It is distinguishable by the addition of broken cannon parts, which if you saw the movie, at one point they get damaged. That set also comes with glow in the dark stickers. So unless you like putting together models, avoid that one. Buy the completed, painted model.

With the 30th anniversary coming up, there are more on order, and I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a TV version should this movie version sell well enough. Although the TV version would need all new tooling for the platforms, so I don't know if they'll just come out with a straight repaint or not.

Normaly I don't give a "score" since I think this is all subjective. Either you like it and want to buy it, or you don't. Simple as that. But if I were to give it one out of 10, it would be a 9.5 / 10. the -.5 deduction due to having to glue some small pieces on and the gigantic price tag that could turn people off. But really, it's worth it. Dollar for plastic, this is well worth the money.

Epic. That is what this SDF-1 is. Just epic. This is the most impressive piece of engineering yet by Yamato. I still consider the best being the perfect transformation VF-1, but that's only because there are more moving parts, the transformation is more complicated, yet it still pulls off the anime look. But this is definitely the most impressive. Epic, my friends. Epic.

racerguy76 10-20-2011 04:06 PM

The SDF-1 does look like an amazing toy, it's just too much for my budget. The only flaw lookslike the lack of paint apps. the takeoff\landing decks look great, i think a little shading would have gone a long way to bring that fantastic detail out.

Thanks for the photos!

pud333 10-20-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerguy76 (Post 35576)
The SDF-1 does look like an amazing toy, it's just too much for my budget. The only flaw lookslike the lack of paint apps. the takeoff\landing decks look great, i think a little shading would have gone a long way to bring that fantastic detail out.

Thanks for the photos!

No prob! Yeah, some panel lining or shading would have been perfect. I suppose a skilled model guy could do it, but I would just mess it up.

As for price, I know someone on TFW that got one shipped for $280 USD. It was a used one from Mandarake. For those that don't know Mandarake is an online site for retailers in Japan that sell used items, usually displayed pieces. They currently have two on sale, for 18,000 yen and 20,000 yen, which would put it about $240-$260 + shipping, which I gather would be about $50-$55. A brand new one would cost over $400 shipped. That's quite some savings for those that want to try.

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en...sdf-1+1%2F3000

I can't personally vouch for the quality of the toys being sold, but I have it from various other people who have bought stuff that Mandarake is legit. I plan to try Mandarake to snag a VF-19 Kai at some point in the future. And if they ever release a TV version of the SDF-1, if it has new tooling to make it anime accurate, then I might have to pick that up too, but only second hand since I don't think I could justify another $400.

For the record, the unassembled SDF-1 is going brand new online for 15,800 yen (approx $210). I suspect if it took me 2.5 hours to put the little plastic pieces in, trying to assemble the whole thing by oneself would take days. :)

Now I have to decide if I want to keep my 1/5000 WAVE SDF-1, since it looks so... tiny in comparison...

pud333 10-26-2011 12:37 AM

The following is a review of Yamato's 1/60 scale YF-21, with accompanying fold booster pack.

The YF-21 is from the anime Macross Plus, which was the official sequel to the original Macross series. In the show, the military is running tests to chose the successor fighter to the VF-11. The YF-21 is up against the YF-19. The YF-19 eventually wins the day - and the contract - but the YF-21 is a real gem.

This is the 1/60 scale version by Yamato. The box is typical old school Yamato packaging - big, bulky, and flimsy cardboard. Nothing to write home to mom about.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4645.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4646.jpg

The original release of this toy included a stand and FAST Packs, but the rerelease did away with the latter parts and instead you must buy the FAST packs separately with the Fold Booster. The FAST packs don't really add much to the toy, unlike the VF-1s, but they're still cool to have.

Like typical Yamato toys, there is diecast in the landing gear and major joints, but not much else. It's really mostly plastic. But the detail is very nice, such as the clear plastic pieces all over the plane. Much better than painted parts.

Fighter mode:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4658.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4660.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4661.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4659.jpg

The guns stow away underneath, attaching to the armour.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4656.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4655.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4657.jpg

Just like in the anime, the wings and rear fins can tuck in to show off that menacing high-speed look.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4685.jpg

Again, some excellent detail in the cockpit. The pilot, Guld Goa Bowman (a Zentradi/Human hybrid), is removable and made of a soft rubbery material. The YF-21 is piloted by the pilot's mind, though it does have traditional controls as backup.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4637.jpg

Gerwalk mode without the armour. As you can see, it doesn't really add much or take away anything from the toy:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4632.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4633.jpg

pud333 10-26-2011 12:37 AM

Battroid mode:

Sans armour. You can really see the alien Zentradi influence.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4641.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4640.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4651.jpg

There is a neat transformation gimmick where you can push the pilot seat back, to tilt the pilot right-side up during Battroid mode. Little details like this make the toy.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4643.jpg

Armour.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4652.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4653.jpg

Fold Booster:

This is the box with the Fold Booster and FAST packs. You have to buy this separately. On the front is the YF-19, which I will eventually review one day if there is ever a second version made. (The first version has a host of QC problems, from flimsy joints to the plastic literally exploding a year or two later).

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4647.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4648.jpg

Packaging tray:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4649.jpg

The Fold Booster attaches with separate pieces. The best part? It glows. It takes 3 LR44 watch batteries that you can buy anywhere, and it pulses different colors. The middle compartment glows green, and the front pulses blue and red. This completes the toy. What an excellent gimmick!

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4662.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4670.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4668.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4693.jpg

Pros: So much to like here. From the design of the plane itself, to the little details like the cockpit. The figure itself is very durable. It's very anime accurate, which is what Yamato really does well. The Fold Booster accessory is just flat out AWESOME. Apparently a few pretty lights is enough to sway my opinions. Aside from the little pieces of plastic you have to remove when attaching the Fold Booster, as well as the plastic vent covers you have to remove in fighter mode, this is a perfect transformation. Another win for Yamato. Macross Plus is one of my favorite anime shows, so it's a real treat to be able to own this plane.

Cons: There are little things to nitpick on, such as the canopy, which seems flimsy when you open it, and won't stay open without you holding it, which is unusual for Yamato valkyries. The FAST Packs seem pointless really, but that's not Yamato's fault: it's the shortcoming of the valkyrie design in general. But the big con is the transformation. This is, by far, the hardest valkyrie to transform. I spent over 6 hours yesterday, and I couldn't figure out how to fit the legs back in properly. I still can't. I'm not the only one: I guess the problem was so bad that Yamato included extra instructions. Problem is, I don't read Japanese. A final con is that this toy feels a bit like a shell-former, if I can borrow a Transformers expression. But again, it's hard to make a toy about a hybrid alien/human designed robot that transforms.

The YF-21 is available at HLJ.com. The MSRP is a whopping 18,800 yen, but there is a sale right now until the end of the month. I got mine for 45% off at 10,340 yen, which is about $140 cdn. The Fold Booster is on for 4,930 yen - approximately $65, which is kind of pricey, but a must have.

Correction: HLJ's sale is ending October 27th, 6pm JST.

pud333 11-03-2011 01:06 AM

Finally. What I've been waiting for. A TRUE 1/60 scale VF-25F. This is the Bandai DX Chogokin VF-25F Alto custom valkyrie from the show, Macross Frontier. Bandai made these valkyries a couple years ago. However, much to the dismay of many collectors, there were many, many short comings. For said shortcomings, just go back in this thread to see my review on the VF-25G. This v2 is far superior.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4699.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4700.jpg

Typical Bandai packaging. Nice box art, and the toy comes in a styrofoam tray, which I personally prefer over Yamato's plastic ones. The toy comes with a stand that can be used for all three modes, as well as extra hands, a knife, a gun, a little Alto that fits in the cockpit, and an Alto wearing his ex gear, which he uses to fly about should he ever have to leave/abandon his valkyrie. Which happens more often in the show than one would think.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4701.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4703.jpg

Fighter mode:

This is a gorgeous bird. No doubt about it. Very accurate to the line art / anime. Everything about the first version has been fixed here. The VF-25F can sit in fightermode on the landing gear, even with the gun attached. This was a huge failing of the original version.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4739.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4740.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4738.jpg

The wings retract, and have a nice "clicking" function.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4735.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4734.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4733.jpg

Gerwalk mode:

One of the big problems with the first version was that the gerwalk mode couldn't pull off the A-frame stance. Now, it has no problems, and even has an extra bar that clicks things into place.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4704.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4705.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4712.jpg

The gun can attach in gerwalk mode just like in the anime.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4711.jpg

pud333 11-03-2011 01:08 AM

Battroid mode:

Unlike the v1, this version is very slender and elegant looking. Just a really nice looking robot. The articulation is actually very good, probably some of the best I've seen in any valkyrie. Bandai really did a great job on this toy.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4727.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4725.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4726.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4723.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4722.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4765.jpg

It's in the details. When you pay $150 for a toy, you want details, and lots of them. You really get your money's worth with this valkyrie.

I know this is a little detail, but it's important. The guns on the head can be pulled into a V shape, just like in the anime.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4719.jpg

The crotch piece justs out just like it is supposed to. The v1 did not do this.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4718.jpg

Die cast in the major joints, as well as the feet, which are on metal ball joints. Very, very nice.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4731.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4730.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4729.jpg

The hands are articulated and they grip the weapons very nicely.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4706.jpg

The knife can be sheathed within the shield.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4707.jpg

The gun transforms.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4709.jpg

The vents can be removed to reveal the turbines in fighter mode.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4744.jpg

pud333 11-03-2011 01:12 AM

One of the best parts about this toy is the little Alto in ex gear that it comes with. He's not articulated, but he does come with a base stand and a wire that shows off his flying. So, so cool.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4746.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4743.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4747.jpg

The cockpit is very interesting as well. Here, you see how it is packaged: Alto in the front, as a one seater.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4736.jpg

In the show, it is a two seater. You can remove the back plastic cover plate, and push the second seat back to reveal the two seater. I took the Ranka Lee figure from the VF-27 and plopped her in. Looks great!

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4737.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_4748.jpg

Overall, this is a fantastic toy. This is the way the toy should have been made the first time! Bandai really outdid themselves this time. Word is, it was a different team that worked on this version, and it was overseen by the guy from the Bandai hobby division, who worked on the excellent 1/72 scale model. I can't say enough about this toy. It's perfect. Probably one of the most beautiful Macross pieces there is.

Cons: the quality control I have heard is spotty on this toy. Mostly just paint chips, chips in the plastic, and some of the finer details being bent or stressed. The latter seems very rare and not widespread. Mine had no problems for the most part. Tight joints all around, perfect paint applications, nothing broken. However, my valk did not escape QC problems entirely. If you look at the circled spots, you will see the issue. The right side is normal, but on the left side, you can see some paint missing in the black paint. That is not a paint chip. The plastic is actually bent down and folded away. Looks like someone at the factory used more force than what was necessary. Still, nothing to cry about, and you really don't notice it unless you are specifically looking for it.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...IMG_4749-1.jpg

Price. MSRP is 14,000 yen. I got mine from Amiami for 27% off, at 10,150 yen, which came out to about $135 + shipping. This is a fantastic valkyrie for such a low price. Yamato valkyries average these days well into the $200-$250 range, so you're really getting a great deal. The problem is, the preorders sold out super fast, and pretty much everywhere you look online, it is sold out. Some places still have it for sale, at around the $180 range. Buy one now, because if you miss out, don't be surprised to see this go for double, even tripple the value. These new v2 valks are highly coveted and prices will keep going up.

EDIT: Amiami just restocked. Unfortunately, no discount. You're basically paying MSRP now, which is about par for where everyone else that still has any in stock is charging.

pud333 12-02-2011 02:45 AM

I got some Yamato valkyrie stands in the mail from HLJ. It comes with various attachments so you can display your 1/60 or 1/48 scale valkyries in all three modes. Most of the new Yamato valkyries can be used with this stand. It retails for 3,900 yen, which is about $50, but you can frequently find this on sale at HLJ from time to time for 2340 yen - about $30, which is what I paid for mine. They're incredibly sturdy (I dropped the stand with my VF-1S Roy Focker while I was attempting to take photos for this review, and not a scratch.) There's significant weight to the base, and there are screws where you can tighten the various articulation points. All in all, a great stand and a must have for your valkyrie collection. I recommend you own at least one. With the newer valkyries getting bigger and heavier, this stand will be one of the best you can get. At $50, it might be too pricey, but at $30, it's worth it.

Fighter mode:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/.../photo2-10.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo3-8.jpg

Gerwalk mode:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/.../photo1-11.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...3/photo4-8.jpg

Battroid mode:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/.../photo1-12.jpg

An example of the type of attachment it comes with:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/.../photo2-11.jpg

racerguy76 12-02-2011 01:20 PM

I love updates to this thread. I could pretty much use it as my holy grail thread. C'mon lottery!