ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Action Figure General Discussion (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Post your Thrift Store/Value Village Finds! (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=750)

Robimus 02-24-2009 04:14 AM

Post your Thrift Store/Value Village Finds!

Thrift shops can prove to be a goldmine for toy hauls of all shapes and sizes. I still regularly find 25 to 30 years old toys there all the time, from He-Man to Thunder Cats to Transformers to Star Wars and more..

Lets post up the finds here!:)

Robimus 02-24-2009 04:16 AM

Re: Post your Thrift Store/Value Village Finds!

1 Attachment(s)
My recent Value Village finds :D:

Attachment 121

Super_Megatron 02-24-2009 05:44 PM

I've never found anything good at a thrift store.

Robimus 02-25-2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super_Megatron (Post 1753)
I've never found anything good at a thrift store.

I guess the question would be....Define good? Complete figures are very unlikely to be found, but older stuff even incomplete can still be a good catch.:)

Haggis 02-25-2009 04:31 PM

I have found plenty of good toys at thrift store.

most recently i got, a TM2 Wasp and airrazor plus a armada cyclonus all for 2.50, an dthey were in pretty good shape

Robimus 02-25-2009 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Opee was the huge steal from todays Value Village Haul :D .99 Cents for him:p

Attachment 134

Bruticus82 02-26-2009 11:59 AM

The value village near me seems to have an inconsistent pricing strategy. Star wars figures, for example, can be 2.99 each, or 3 for 2.00, I think depending on who is doing the pricing out back. Some people think any star wars figure is a collector's item, and others see them as "another miscellaneous toy".

Also I've noticed the quality of value village's toy section varies widely from store to store. The one up here near York University has almost no action figures of any sort, where the one I go to in Hamilton has basically a whole isle dedication to "boys toys".

Robimus 02-26-2009 12:31 PM

Often I think it depends upon location. I've noticed that the VV's near the poorer neighborhoods in Winnipeg don't have as good a selection as the ones in the wealthier areas. Seems to make sense.

As to the pricing, it can be all over the map. Some VV employees seem to think they "know" what these items should and should not cost. (At times I've seen loose Star Wars figures going for $7.99. Of course they really don't sell at that price point.)

Often times I've also found that the newer toys get priced higher than the vintage stuff.

Basically I've got two favorite VV's in Winnipeg that I hit up on a regular basis. The other two I alomst never go to becuase the selection is never good.

I also go through dry spells where I'll go 3-6 times and find almost nothing. But its that one time that the mother load comes up that keeps me going back for more.:)

It's a little like gambling, only with little cost and a nice potetnial payoff.:p

Super_Megatron 02-26-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robimus (Post 1762)
I guess the question would be....Define good? Complete figures are very unlikely to be found, but older stuff even incomplete can still be a good catch.:)

True. I found a G1 Prime cab at Value Village once maybe 5-7 years ago, and a Seacon around the same time. Once Transformers became really popular I stopped trying as I couldn't find anything anymore so stopped looking. I saw various loose Star Wars and G.I. Joe figures there from time to time but they were mostly beat up.

Batman 02-28-2009 03:38 PM

The only thing I have ever seen at the Value village in Ottawa are those plush Garfield Christmas toys from McDonalds.