ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Action Figure General Discussion (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Haslab Projects General Discussion (http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=38289)

canprime 07-20-2021 07:11 AM

Haslab Projects General Discussion

Hey all.

I figured I would start a thread that covers a general discussion about the different Haslab projects since we seem to be entering a new, more rapid phase of projects.

So I guess this thread can be a catch all for discussion if you so choose.

So to start.....

What's your thoughts on Galactus? As of this post, the project is at 7905 backers with 41+ days to go. So well on pace to make the 14,000 threshold.

Personally I am a little pissed at the 14,000 threshold, because I want easy to reach stretch goals, and I don't know if they will set realistic goals with such a high starting number. However I get the logic since the last 3 projects all went well above expected numbers.

Both the Sentinel and the Razor Crest had targets of 6,000, but both ended up over 20,000!! The Heroquest project had a target of $1,000,000 and was over $3,500,000!!

So those are gangbuster numbers no matter how you look at them.

Back to Galactus, what do you want to see for unlockable goals? Obviously the trending ideas are Heralds, but what else would you like to see?

I also think the upcoming Retro FF waves will go well towards filling in some holes that won't be addressed with the Haslab Galactus. I could see Silver Surfer, and the Terrax BAF being released in the Retro line, either as Fan Channel exclusives, or part of a second wave.

cli1ck 07-20-2021 01:46 PM

Re: Haslab Projects General Discussion

1 Attachment(s)
I personally definitely plan on backing Galactus. I can see how some people are content with the Marvel Universe one, though. I have both the old Toybiz BAF and the Marvel Universe and still plan on getting this new Haslab one.

I can't really see there being much in terms of stretch goals. Like you said, heralds would definitely be nice. Other than that, Galactus is a what you see is what you get kind of character. Maybe a damaged head? Maybe a scared face for facing Reed with the Ultimate Nullifier? Maybe some beam effects/attachments? Personally i'd like to see a moon/planet with a couple bite marks and an alt chewing face, though that'd probably never happen

The real question for me now is whether or not to order the Mezco f4 set. But that'll be ~$1k in Fantastic 4 products..

EDIT: Actually, you know what would be cool, a small 6"ish Galactus. I mean he can alter his size after all

canprime 07-20-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cli1ck (Post 132385)
I personally definitely plan on backing Galactus. I can see how some people are content with the Marvel Universe one, though. I have both the old Toybiz BAF and the Marvel Universe and still plan on getting this new Haslab one.

I can't really see there being much in terms of stretch goals. Like you said, heralds would definitely be nice. Other than that, Galactus is a what you see is what you get kind of character. Maybe a damaged head? Maybe a scared face for facing Reed with the Ultimate Nullifier? Maybe some beam effects/attachments? Personally i'd like to see a moon/planet with a couple bite marks and an alt chewing face, though that'd probably never happen

The real question for me now is whether or not to order the Mezco f4 set. But that'll be ~$1k in Fantastic 4 products..

EDIT: Actually, you know what would be cool, a small 6"ish Galactus. I mean he can alter his size after all

I am definitely in for a Galactus, but I'll wait closer to the end of the backing period. I want to see what they offer for unlockables, but honestly in the end it won't matter. I want this bad boy.

I know they already said the first unlockable is a 6" figure. I don't think they will do anything "battle damaged" as an unlockable. I wouldn't mind some "Kirby Crackle" effects, or some display pieces to allow for "flying" heralds. A planet that fits in his hand would be kind of fun, but also a bit disappointing as an unlockable. Personally I would be fine with a couple figures and effects like the Sentinel.

If you really like the Mezco stuff then do it, but Hasbro is doing a FF retro line, which will probably get announced sometime this month (they said there will be more news this month). That would be a good example of brand synergy. Start the Galactus project, and then halfway through bump up FOMO/desire by showing a line that is made to go with him.

I am personally going to wait until after Christmas, but I am going to start looking at getting some MU 3 3/4" figures. I had some, but got rid of them. Now they would be perfect to get as a way of making Galactus even more humongous. By using the 3 3/4" figures in a display, you are basically doubling the scale of Galactus. That could make for some truly epic looking shots.

lifedragon99 07-20-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canprime (Post 132393)
I am personally going to wait until after Christmas, but I am going to start looking at getting some MU 3 3/4" figures. I had some, but got rid of them. Now they would be perfect to get as a way of making Galactus even more humongous. By using the 3 3/4" figures in a display, you are basically doubling the scale of Galactus. That could make for some truly epic looking shots.

That is such a great idea. I've still got all my 3 3/4 inch figures I'll definitely be displaying them all together.

Team Jetfire 07-20-2021 09:34 PM

Not to be a downer, but I really hate the Haslab projects. I just think catering to these massively expensive and exclusive projects leads to the deterioration of the overall accessibility to regular collectors. Is it really feasible to buy a single, albeit massive, figure for $700 that can barely fit into a collection every 6 months? Not to mention that $700 can buy around 20 regular 6” figures. Is a Galactus worth 20 regular figures?

One last point and I’ll get off my soapbox, but the success of those figures will all but kill any chance for a regular Galactus release at retail. Sure, it may have been a touch smaller, but even at the 32” it’s not the proper scale.

BlackBeltJohnson 07-20-2021 09:59 PM

Will Canadians be able to back this though? It's saying only US residents on the sale page.

wedge1021 07-20-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBeltJohnson (Post 132400)
Will Canadians be able to back this though? It's saying only US residents on the sale page.

Pretty sure the "Open only to US residents 18+" is only for the 70,000 Marvel Insider Points Redemption code. Their shipping policy states shipping to Canada.

BlackBeltJohnson 07-20-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedge1021 (Post 132401)
Pretty sure the "Open only to US residents 18+" is only for the 70,000 Marvel Insider Points Redemption code. Their shipping policy states shipping to Canada.

Ok, I see. Thanks dude!

Marvellegendsguy 07-21-2021 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Jetfire (Post 132399)
Not to be a downer, but I really hate the Haslab projects. I just think catering to these massively expensive and exclusive projects leads to the deterioration of the overall accessibility to regular collectors. Is it really feasible to buy a single, albeit massive, figure for $700 that can barely fit into a collection every 6 months? Not to mention that $700 can buy around 20 regular 6” figures. Is a Galactus worth 20 regular figures?

One last point and I’ll get off my soapbox, but the success of those figures will all but kill any chance for a regular Galactus release at retail. Sure, it may have been a touch smaller, but even at the 32” it’s not the proper scale.

To get the proper scale I think you would have to dress as Galactus

canprime 07-21-2021 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifedragon99 (Post 132397)
That is such a great idea. I've still got all my 3 3/4 inch figures I'll definitely be displaying them all together.

I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I saw it on another site, and it immediately clicked. I was like "d'oh, of course!!!"

canprime 07-21-2021 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Jetfire (Post 132399)

I would agree with you to some degree, however I also look at the ML line in general and see the pace of releases, in my opinion at least, has increased in recent years. There is so much product released in a year now that I don't see accessibility for a "one off" item as a problem. Rather I see the glut of releases as more of a problem. With so much released I think there tends to be a bit of the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. You barely have time to digest a new wave before another hits the shelves, or Hasbro reveals another new wave/item.

Hell look at Shang-Chi. The movie isn't even out yet, but Walmart is already trying to clearance them!!

As for Galactus, just because Haslab makes something, doesn't preclude Hasbro from making another for retail. I kind of liken it to multiple price points for a line. Take GI Joe for example. They have a more basic 6" movie line for $10(US) and then the Classified 6" movie line for $20(US). Some of the more popular characters are available in both lines, simultaneously!!

So Galactus could easily be done at retail, for a lower price point, and still be a big figure. Of course it would also mean less articulation, features, etc.

However I do agree that it won't be any time soon, so as not to dull the Haslab project shine. However in time we will see another Galactus. Hell there is a rumour that the Transformers line will have another Unicron in 2023 to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the release of the original Armada version.

If there is one thing we should all know by now, it is that Hasbro is not afraid to retread characters when it suits them.

canprime 07-22-2021 08:12 AM

8445 this morning. So 540 in 49 hours.

At this rate Galactus should be fully funded sometime around August 11th.

I wonder if they will reveal the first unlockable tier this month, or wait until the project is officially funded.

canprime 08-12-2021 06:24 PM

Just received an email (6:11pm EST) that the Sentinel will be shipping starting the end of September!!!

Finally something other than watching the Galactus project slowly crawl to the 14,000 funding number.

canprime 08-25-2021 07:32 AM

13,819 as of right now (7:30am est) for Galactus. He should be funded sometime today, and just in time for the Fan First tomorrow.

They better reveal the other tiers tomorrow once Galactus is funded, otherwise I think a lot of people, myself included, will be disappointed. Let's see your cards Hasbro, to hell with holding out anymore. If they don't unlock, they don't unlock stop the nonsense.

canprime 08-26-2021 10:57 AM

Nova is unlocked, right before the Fan First stream begins (convenient).

canprime 08-26-2021 11:37 AM

So the stream just ended.

Silver Surfer with a new head, extra hands, and a purple stand that can fit on Galactus, or by itself, is the second unlock.

Only need to get to 17,000 to unlock him!!!

Didn't show any of the other tiers, so I guess we have to wait until Silver Surfer is unlocked to get the next reveal.

canprime 08-27-2021 05:36 AM

As of this morning (5:35am EST) Galactus is at 17,067!!!

Silver Surfer is unlocked. So now begins the shouts of "What's Next???"

Super_Megatron 08-27-2021 09:25 AM

I ordered Galactus. If anyone has an extra Sentinel let me know.

ghostlurk29 08-29-2021 01:38 PM

Looks like the final tier for Galactus is an alternate Dr Doom head. A good one to end on I guess. I doubt many will be heart-broken if it gets missed.

I'm surprised how much momentum this project picked up after it was funded. I thought it would have trouble just hitting 16000.

Marvellegendsguy 08-29-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 (Post 133939)
Looks like the final tier for Galactus is an alternate Dr Doom head. A good one to end on I guess. I doubt many will be heart-broken if it gets missed.

I'm surprised how much momentum this project picked up after it was funded. I thought it would have trouble just hitting 16000.

I am surprised too, took a long time to get fully funded and it’s not like people are ordering two. I wasn’t aware Dr. Doom took over galactus at some point. Good for him, Dr. Doom is just a regular human who works hard.

canprime 08-29-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvellegendsguy (Post 133942)
I am surprised too, took a long time to get fully funded and it’s not like people are ordering two. I wasn’t aware Dr. Doom took over galactus at some point. Good for him, Dr. Doom is just a regular human who works hard.

Yikes that is a disappointing final tier. I can't help but think this was an earlier tier, but because the ML team kept everything fairly secret after Nova it allowed them to move things around. I think Morg, who is an all new mold, was probably the last tier, but they decided to switch it up last minute.

As for the Doom head, I am in the same boat. I had no idea about this, but apparently it is an alternate universe where Doom saved Earth by switching minds with Galactus after Reed failed to stop him. Then he wiped out everything but Earth.

"Meh" is all I can say, but the way things are going it will unlock no problem.

m.arndt 08-30-2021 03:13 PM

Before placing an order for Galactus, I have a question for those who have ordered from Hasbropulse before:

Am I reading the shipping policy to Canada correctly in that it says the taxes/duty is being paid upfront?
$485 USD should be my grand total, no more custom charges once Galactus shows up at my door?
So close to pulling the trigger, but the cheapskate in me always stresses about any potential extra costs….

Super_Megatron 08-30-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m.arndt (Post 133970)
Before placing an order for Galactus, I have a question for those who have ordered from Hasbropulse before:

Am I reading the shipping policy to Canada correctly in that it says the taxes/duty is being paid upfront?
$485 USD should be my grand total, no more custom charges once Galactus shows up at my door?
So close to pulling the trigger, but the cheapskate in me always stresses about any potential extra costs….

Correct.

canprime 08-30-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m.arndt (Post 133970)

As Super Megatron said.....correct.

The final price is all-in. So once it ships you shouldn't have any other fees/taxes. It should just show up on your doorstep.

I just wish they would take Paypal for preorders. I have a nice little bit in my account, but unfortunately they only take CC for preorders.

Oh and Galactus is now over 25,000. So he beat the Sentinel, but he still has a way to go to beat the Razor Crest. (The current champ for total orders of all the Haslab projects).

m.arndt 08-30-2021 06:12 PM

Thanks guys. That’s what I figured, but I’ve always been a glass half empty person, so I wanted to ask in case how I interpreted what I read on Hasbropulse was too good to be true…

And canprime, thanks x2 ;)

canprime 08-30-2021 07:07 PM

Galactus, Galactus, Galactus, Galactus, Galactus.

Man Haslab is going into overdrive this quarter.

3 projects (Galactus, Victory Saber and the soon to be started Rancor).

2 projects should (hopefully) ship before the end of the year (Sentinel and Razor Crest).

Now I just need them to slow it down a bit, and get a GI Joe project going as well.

ghostlurk29 08-30-2021 07:24 PM

26k!! They should of added another tier after passing 23k so quickly.

philtastic 08-31-2021 02:16 AM

So Hasbro grossed over $12 Million on the Galactus HasLab...

canprime 08-31-2021 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philtastic (Post 134009)
So Hasbro grossed over $12 Million on the Galactus HasLab...

30,784 Damn!!

Highest total number of backers for a Haslab project to date.

Congrats Hasbro, I didn't think it would get this high.

philtastic 08-31-2021 04:51 AM

I have a feeling the Rancor HasLab will be even bigger. In units sold, that is. Hopefully not in physical size…

canprime 08-31-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philtastic (Post 134012)
I have a feeling the Rancor HasLab will be even bigger. In units sold, that is. Hopefully not in physical size…

I don't know about that.

It will really depend on a number of factors. Price is obviously the big one. I guess the question is more about desirability. Is the Rancor a top tier character/ship/etc. in people's minds? The Razor Crest had the benefit of being the Hero ship in the hottest Star Wars property at the time. Plus there was no other option for a Razor Crest, at the time, that was even close to the same scale. Rancor has had a number of releases over the years, granted not at this scale.

And yes I know the same could be said for the Sentinel and Galactus. However I personally don't see the Rancor at the same level. Who knows, I am probably wrong. I was wrong about Galactus (I didn't think he would beat the Razor Crest). Maybe the Rancor will end up being the biggest selling Haslab ever.

I think the tiers, and "special" features are what will really push the Rancor. Will it be simply hard plastic with visible joints, or will they try and take a risk with some kind of skin overlay? How much articulation will there be? (I assume a lot) Who will be the figures included? Most likely the Keeper and Oola(?) as they would probably be very difficult to sell at regular retail.

As an aside, I also wonder about expectations for Haslab projects going forward. So far each consecutive project has exceeded the previous project. Exclude Heroquest because they simply went by dollar value which is hard to translate into specific units sold. What happens when they finally have a project that doesn't do better than the previous project? Victory Saber is likely to fall into that category first. Again I could be wrong and Victory Saber exceeds 31,000 backers. However if the Rancor doesn't exceed Galactus, or the Razor Crest what does that mean to Hasbro? It would still be successful, but perception is also a factor in selling a product.

Anyway, I will just bask in the afterglow of the great run Galactus just had, and focus on Victory Saber until the Rancor starts.

wedge1021 08-31-2021 01:26 PM

I think "investors" are seeing how much these projects are going for on the secondary market, and that may have something to do with the increasing numbers every time.

canprime 08-31-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedge1021 (Post 134031)
I think "investors" are seeing how much these projects are going for on the secondary market, and that may have something to do with the increasing numbers every time.

Which is funny because the more that sell should cause the aftermarket price to be lower

Also, apparently Hasbro opened up more markets to direct ordering from either Pulse, or partner retailers in most countries. It seems Latin America was the one big market that got the shaft though. They only had partnerships with retailers in Mexico and Chile. Either way that probably helped to boost the numbers as well.

canprime 09-29-2021 11:52 AM

http://https://yakfaceforums.com/mai...o-the-u-s-now/

Yakface is reporting that the Razor Crest is in NY (according to the poster the shipment is in NY). The count says 438 pieces so who knows what exactly that means for the actual delivery time to buyers.

MitchPower 09-29-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canprime (Post 135245)
http://https://yakfaceforums.com/mai...o-the-u-s-now/

Yakface is reporting that the Razor Crest is in NY (according to the poster the shipment is in NY). The count says 438 pieces so who knows what exactly that means for the actual delivery time to buyers.

The star wars team in the last stream said it would ship in january

canprime 09-29-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitchPower (Post 135254)
The star wars team in the last stream said it would ship in january

And the ML team said end of September for the Sentinel, but it started shipping at the beginning of September.

I imagine they are giving themselves some leeway with the dates by choosing a later date than expected. That way if they start earlier no one complains. Where as the opposite would be worse.

Zone55555 09-29-2021 09:39 PM

They also have to pad their estimates given the abysmal state of shipping offloads in american ports.

canprime 10-19-2021 10:07 AM

So I finally was able to spare the time to sit and enjoy opening my Sentinel.

First the good. WOW is it a sight to behold, from the box to the figure itself. It really is an impressive figure. I seem to have lucked out, the knees hold fairly well and don't seem loose at all, but as others have said, I feel the joints are too "soft" and as such I can see them being a problem for stability in the future. I know others have said they were not that impressed by some of the alternate heads, but man I love all of them. Definitely Master Mold is the king, and that is how I will display the Sentinel, but the regular head, Tri-Sentinel and damaged heads are all great, and have their own unique quirks that I love. Love the tendrils as well, they look great, and are so sturdy yet pliable. Great work!! Also love the paint/colours. They really compliment the figure/look.

Second, the not so good. The joints worry me, but I guess that is future Marc's problem. I have a black blemish on my chest light, on the inside of course. So when I light it up I get a nice black dot on the bottom portion of the chest light. Of course now that I see it I can't ever un-see it. Also after I take the Sentinel out and stand him up I hear some rattling around at the back. My first thought is, of course, "Uh Oh." So I shake it a bit and I hear it some more. Now I'm freaking out that something is loose inside the figure, where I won't be able to reach it, or fix it. As I am taking the back panel off to access the battery cover a screw falls to the floor. I pick it up and it looks clean/unused. So then I proceed to use my LED flashlight to examine the figure from top to bottom, including all the deep, recessed spots where they put screws. The good(?) news? I can't find a missing screw anywhere. Every spot has a screw, that I can see at least. So I'm hoping it was just a extra that somehow fell in during assembly. My Debbie Downer side thinks it is from somewhere I can't see and I will find my Sentinel falling apart one day (I know, I know).

Anyway, good work on Hasbro's part, and I feel the figure and accessories are worth the money. I just wish they had better QC since it seems so many people have received their Sentinel with some problem.

canprime 10-24-2021 01:53 PM

Interesting note. As of right now the Skystriker is ahead of the Rancor by a little more than 100 units. That is with the Rancor having a 1 day head start.

I really can't wait to see the final numbers. I wonder if Hasbro has finally bitten off more than they should have with multiple Haslabs running at the same time, and so shortly after 2 other projects.

Combined with all the other stuff they announced at Pulse Con, preorders and ready to buy, it is a lot. I'm sure there are a lot of people who have to make some choices about what to get. Which is bound to hurt the numbers for the bigger, more expensive items.

I know personally I am choosing the Skystriker over the Rancor. I might get both if the funds look a little better closer to the end of the funding period, but that is unlikely. So my heart goes to what I love more, and what I think is the better value. Plus I would rather get 2 Skystrikers than 1 each of the Skystriker and Rancor if I can swing the funds.

Between all this new product, and the continuing price increases I am definitely cutting back and being more selective. I can see myself not being a completist for any of lines anymore.

chaingunsofdoom 10-24-2021 05:16 PM

Don't forget the Proton pack is coming on 10-27. There's no way Hasbro should be running projects B2B and 3 all at the same time. If you follow even 2 of the 3 properties.... Hasbro: 'Please drop $1000 CAD with us before the Holidays'.