ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #113
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

2-038
DC Collectibles- Bombshells: Wonder Woman

When these first dropped I was really on the fence. Yes they are remarkable looking figures with a great amount of articulation and accessories that would make any collector happy, but the rather sexualized nature of the Bombshell universe was a bit of a, for the lack of a better word, turn-off for me. It's not that I'm against pretty ladies, I just feel that women in comics are already objectified and to the outside observer it feels as though that Bombshells doubles down on that idea with reimagining these prominent DC super heroes as WW2 circa pin up girls. I suppose in the grand scheme this style is no more explicit than your typical female superhero costume, but something about it screams sexual. The obvious counterpoint known by anyone who is aware of the Bombshells subline is that these women are featured in their own comic as independent, very capable, kick ass world war 2 heroes. If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it as the characters are innovative and the stories are told from a more feminine perspective so it feels a bit different then your average book.

Wonder Woman is is the first in the line and really has that 30s-40s vibe to her. The sculpt details are fantastic and I really like this costume design. Articulation is outstanding and at this scale is a nice precursor to the new DC line that is set to replace the defunct Icons. Accessory wise she's pretty well outfitted with a monkey wrench, breakaway chain with cinder block and ball as well as extra hands to hold them all. She also has her trademark lasso, but it's permanently attached to her belt which is an odd choice in my opinion.

The figure is not without issue though. Firstly, I don't love the head sculpt as she seriously looks crazy. I get what they were going for, but a more serious expression would have been better. Secondly, it is impossible for her to stand up on her own and I needed to invest in some cheap doll stands. Lastly, the little plastic pins on her breakaway chain broke out of the package. I was able to find a work around, but still should not have broken so quickly.

Pros: Fantastic articulation, nice design and cool accessories.

Cons: Face sculpt is a bit weird, can't stand on her own and suffered premature breakage.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping