ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #1354
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

827-2
Hasbro: Marvel Legends: Magneto & Professor Charles Xavier

v

I don?t think that the X-Men get the credit that they deserve. Seems like a bold statement for those who grew up reading comics in the 90?s, but I assure you: there has been a sizable drop off in goodwill for the mutants and I can chalk it up to one single factor: Disney. See back in the day (the 90?s) Marvel had two massive bankable franchises: Spiderman and X-Men. Both had popular comic titles, both had toys galore and both had uber popular TV cartoons. Like clockwork, these franchises made their way to the big screen for live action treatment and both fared extremely well in the grand scheme of things. Throughout the years since, both franchises have seen peaks and valleys with live action movie releases, but I believe that Spiderman is poised for more success in the short term due to his direct involvement in the UBER popular MCU franchise, which is really weird to me considering Disney doesn?t even have the rights to the Spiderman movies, but would have full control over the X franchise. I?m guessing timing had a lot to do with it, but why is there no plans for the Mutants to be introduced with the likes of Thor and Captain Marvel? Like somehow we are getting a Fantastic Four film before X-Men? Ridiculous. I suppose the saving grace is that Proof X was featured in the latest Dr Strange movie, but was hardly an addition, but rather a subtraction (and if you have seen the movie, you know what I mean). Don?t get me wrong, as a fan of the X-Men, I want things to be done correctly and for things to not be rushed, but fans have rather short attention spans and if they wait too long they may miss the every important nostalgia train.

Pros: Magneto- Clearly based on the best X-Men prequel, this version of Magneto is based on the version that we saw in Days of Future Past. I love the overall design and how it turned out. I also appreciate how Hasbro included various head sculpts that match each actor who played the iconic part.

Professor X: Not sure if this is just another use of the ?suit? mould, but given that its Prof X, I?d say that it works well for the character. I also really appreciate how intricate the wheelchair accessory is. As with Magneto, Charles comes with a few different heads matching the actors that play him.

Cons: Magneto- A head sculpt does not a character make. What I mean by that is that the body is buff, like Luke Skywalker in the 90?s buff and is a stretch not just for Michael Fastbender, but hilariously so for the much older Sir Ian Mckellen. I mean, he?s a mutant who controls iron; he?s not spending all his time pumping it and being ripped should not be part of the equation.

Professor X: Kind of what you see is what you get, but if this figure is from the Day of Future Past, there is no reason to include a young bald head as he didn?t lose his hair until the third movie. Not a big deal as I prefer the Patrick Stewart look better.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping