ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #357
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

011-R
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Drift
Release Date: 2009
Current Price and Availability:$44
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hasbro-Trans...5ITY:rk:4:pf:0

It’s not often that a new character can work their way into the lexicon of an existing franchise and to varying degrees, I would say that Drift was somewhat successful. I say somewhat because while he plays a rather big part in the movies, he’s not really the same character that he was from the comics. Sure there are similarities as they are both sword wielding Japanese inspired Autobots, but where comic Drift design is subtitly inspired by Japanese robot culture (think Gundam) Movie Drift is basically a Japanese cultural stereotype. I suppose either one is fine, but given my history with Gundam, I appreciated the comic design much more.

Pros: I pretty well love everything about this figure so much so that I even love Blurr, who was a re-tooled version of Drift and both could be easily be contenders for top 10 Transformer figures in my collection. Why the love? Firstly I really like the look of both modes. Drift specifically has a generic, but not too generic, looking sports car vehicle mode and a very cool looking robot mode that somewhat emulates a Gundam style robot, something that I am found of. Secondly, has a good amount of articulation and a complex, yet intuitive, transformation that a schlub like me can handle and thirdly the weapons and consequent storage for said weapons. Those familiar with my reviews know that I’m a sucker for a figure that can store all their weapons and Drift does it in style. Not only does he have a back tab that can be used for his gigantic sword, he has two sword holders on his door panels that look like waist scabbards; so cool! And to top it off, it all gets packed away in vehicle mode.

Cons: Very little, but his main sword is a bit gummy and can warp/bend easily. I would also say that I don’t love how his movie figure has overshadowed this version, but what are you going to do? Its the Bay-Verse, similar to the show “Whose Line is it”- It the version of Transformers where the story is made up and the characters don’t matter anyways. .

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping