ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #19
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: Macross Toy Reviews

A couple quick reviews. First up is the TV series version of the perfect transformation Yamato 1/60 VF-1S Roy Focker valkyrie.

For all intents and purposes, the actual mechanics of this version are no different than the Do You Remember Love 1/60 Roy Focker (review on the first page of this thread). There are a few changes though that make it more TV accurate. I intend to keep this toy MIB, so I won't be transforming him or putting any stickers on, but some of the major differences will be shown here. If you need to know what it looks like in the other modes, then just look at the first review and pretend it's whiter.

First off, all the accessories are the same, except this one doesn't come with the strike parts and it lacks the extra set of missiles. (There is a separate release with strike parts). And as you can see, instead of the movie hands, this one comes with the marshmallow hands that are shown in the TV series.

2.jpg3.jpg

On the left is the TV version, and it's white. Very white to match the look of the Macross TV series. (sorry for the dark pictures, but the flash made everything look the same). Personally, I really dig this really white look over the off-white, but then, I've always been a sucker for white toys. (eg: Ultra Magnus)

4.jpg

The pilot is different. Here, Roy is wearing his blue flight suit from the TV series, vs the movie version yellow flight suit. Also, you can see the mold itself is all new. The TV Roy is holding a little flight stick.

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

The canopy and cockpit are also different. The cockpit has a different screen than the movie version, and the canopy lacks the rainbow tint that the movie version has. I prefer the rainbow tint, cause I think it makes the toy pop sitting on the shelf. Everyone I know who has come into my toy room has commented on how great the toy looks. Going forward, this is a new running change Yamato has decided to do with their future valkyrie releases.

8.jpg9.jpg

The crotch connection is also different. On the left is the TV version which has the new crotch mold, vs the movie version. Again, this is a new running change. The older crotch was harder to connect the hips in. The new crotch makes it much easier.

10.jpg

Those are the major differences between the two toys. There are some minor details, such as a black arrow on the head of the valkyrie instead of yellow, but those are just cosmetic. I got this from HLJ.com during their big Yamato toy sale. It was on for a cool 40% off, so I got it for approximately $70, which is an absolute steal. The price is so good, it's almost criminal not to buy one. The sale ends December 24th, so if you have been waiting to jump on the Valkyrie bandwagon, this is the time to do it. During the month the sale has been on, I've seen it go in and out of stock three times! Considering the quality of the toy and the super low price right now, it's no surprise. I almost want to get another one just so I could pose in Battroid with his puffy hands! But then I would have three of the same toy and that's overkill, right?

The reason why I chose this one over the one with the strike parts, is because in the TV series, Roy never flew the VF-1S with strike parts (unlike in the movie). This is the only version that comes with Roy in his blue flight suit, which is why I bought it. Yamato has never done this in the past. The one with the strike parts comes with Hikaru.

The overall design changes are great, and make the toy even better than possible. My only quibble is I wish they kept the rainbow tint, but that's nothing, all things considered.

Last edited by pud333; 12-24-2010 at 03:50 AM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping