Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #110
viciousmaturity
Super Friend
Re: Marvel Legends 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
A friend explained to me that it has to do with packagin and shipment.For the current line for example. ASM2 line has 5 figures in total: Movie Spidey,Superior Spidey, Electro, Boomerang/Beetle, Blackcat/Spidergirl, Carnage. The case can fit 8 figures so there's 2 extra figures and the logical choice is the main character. I don't know the statistics but usually the Spider-men or Batmen would attract casual buyers more often than the villains or supporting characters.

Hasbro could have packed in another Carnage or Black cat but they don't think they would sell more than Spidey.
Historically, the female figures and the villains were often the last to sell. One of my local shops here still sells Onslaught figures for a ridiculously low price, and they still haven't gone down in stock.

That's probably the mentality that Hasbro using. This gives them time to plan revision cases. But now, what happens is we end up with high demand specifically for figures that come 1 a pack, and a wasteful line of doubles/triples.

Other companies, like FUNKO are a bit more daring. Series 2 of their Game of Thrones Legacy has 3/6 females, as well as their Magic the Gathering legacy. We'll see how they compare to Hasbro's strategy. Cuz I definitely think there is a shift in the type of collectors today compared to 10-20 years ago. Many of us have grown up and many have become less selective... but I understand Hasbro's strategy. There is much at stake when it comes to developing a wave, and if one doesn't sell well (see Epic Heroes, Hit Monkey), it ruins the planned swaps and future waves.

They said that the price increase in ML was due to their factory demands, but I think they did that to cover their losses from the prior year.

Also, a small correction: Carnage has a swap- Toxin. There are 9 figures in total in the ASM2 line, as well as the CA2 line.

I would love it if they had the balls to release an all female line, even if as an exclusive. There are many females getting shafted, specifically villains. Even A-lister females in the comics aren't getting the action figure recognition they deserve (Many of the X-Ladies, Ms./Captain Marvel, and as mentioned, villains).

How many female villains have we got so far?

The two Madames, Lady Deathstrike (terrible mold), Danger, Moonstone (both sort of a villain), Mystique, Dark Phoenix, Spiral... is that it? Interesting that most are X-Men related. Where are Selene, Amora, Titania, Diamondback, Sin, Callisto, Lilith, Silver Sable?

Hehe, sorry. I get excited about a wave based on the female(s) being released. I think I won't bother with the GOTG line with that horrid Gamora figure, unless it's gonna be sold on sale.
viciousmaturity is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping