ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #161
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

065-2
Hasbro- Star Wars- The Black Series: Darth Maul

It’s kind of unbelievable that that it has almost been 20 years since Star Wars the Phantom Menace was released and by far the most popular thing from that movie was the introduction of Darth Maul. Sure, he went out like a chump, but since then his cult like status was somewhat solidified by his appearance in the Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels series. I have been diving deep into the former and very much appreciating his addition and feel that he has been handled with care that many Star Wars fans surely appreciate. Do I really accept that a humanoid can be cut in half and survive for years on a junk planet? Not really- but the idea is certainly “on brand” for the Star Wars franchise. I think it’s just proof that sometime with the right story telling, some of these Star Wars prequel characters can really shine.

As with all Black series figures, Maul stands at 6” and features a good amount of articulation and accessories. Maul in particular has an interesting accessory in a head/clock combo that works pretty well. He also comes with his signature double sided lightsaber and binoculars (monoculars) that he can’t really hold up to his eyes. Given that he is relatively rare on the aftermarket, I was trying to be really careful with all his parts, so I didn’t attempt to remove the red light beam from his sabres, but it would have been cool if one could be removed to enact the one sided, long hilt, weapon from his short melee with Qui-Gon while on Tatooine.

Pros: Solid looking figure with good articulation, nice accessories and I like how it shows some love for the prequels.

Cons: He's pretty rare so aftermarket prices are somewhat prohibitive for new collectors and would really benefit from a re-release. Mine also has some really tight joints that make me nervous posing him.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping