ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: Wizard World Toronto Comic Con

Here, reposted, is an interview with Billy Dee Williams:

Moviefone briefly caught up with the actor before he heads into Toronto for Wizard World Comic Con 2011. We asked him about his role models and heroes, his propensity to play gangster-like characters and why he loves attending sci-fi conventions (he's only done hundreds!).

You were in several action/suspense TV shows before your break into movies. What made you take the leap?
Well, when you're an actor you just want to work. An acting career is like that – from moment to moment, it changes.

Several descriptions/bios of you online start off with the word 'Great-looking.' Have you always been complimented on your looks?
Well, I used to be. [Laughs] Fortunately and unfortunately. I'll admit it, though, I was a pretty good-looking guy. My grandson is beautiful, though. Just beautiful!

Did you have any particular influences or role models when your career was starting out?
I grew up watching James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson. The first movie I ever did, 'The Last Angry Man,' was with Paul Muni, who was the original Scarface. He was a great actor who I definitely looked up to.

There's a trend there with Cagney, Bogart – it's a gangster-y kind of feel. I can see how you used that with Lando Calrissian.
Of course. Actually I was just on 'White Collar,' and I played and old-time gangster, kind of a con man, counterfeiter.

You must enjoy playing that type of character. You've got it down pat.
Oh, absolutely! There's no question about it! It's really fun.

So how did you 'land' Lando?
Well, [director] Irv Kershner met with me, he came to my house, and we sat and talked. There was a great connection, and the role was mine.

It's difficult to conceive of anyone else playing Lando.
[Laughs] I agree with you! It's always nice to hear. I fell in love with Lando as soon as he was introduced to me. I couldn't wait to put that cape on. That was the key.

Lando is one of the most recognized characters from 'Star Wars.' Have you ever been hounded or freaked out at a fan convention?
No, I've found that generally the fans are really great. I always look forward to the conventions – it's like going to a town hall. I get a chance to meet the people who've been very supportive of everything throughout the years. It's a nice experience.

One of the best things about 'Star Wars' is its longevity. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
My grandson's only three years old, and he's into it already. 'Star Wars' is a phenomenon, it's monumental.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping