ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #1127
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

693-2
S.H. Figuarts- Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Hermione Granger

Continuing my look at all the Harry Potter themed rides and attractions at the various Universal Studios Parks around the world. Previous thoughts can be found at review 314-2 Dragon Challenge, 337-2- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, 392-2- Flight of the Hippogriff, 448-2 The Hogwarts Express & 534-2 Butterbeer!

Escape from Gringotts

https://youtu.be/N8FSuOjoy8w

In July of 2014, the long awaited Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion that featured a rather well hidden Diagon Alley was opened at the original Universal Studios located in Florida and it was an instant hit. I suppose this could be a bit of an easy layup for the theme park considering Hogsmead over in Islands of Adventure was probably the most successful new lands in all Florida Theme parks and quite literally changed the game for the industry, but it’s also really, really cool. I’ll get into a bit more detail as to the area in general, but the big draw for fans is the fire breathing dragon and the ride that is housed within the Wizard Bank: Gringotts, the building it sits upon. If you watched the YouTube clip you’ll see that the exterior, the que and final ride is basically emulating some important scenes that play out in the 8th Harry Potter movie: The Deathly Hallows Part Two; but just at different times, which kind of spoils the ride, that is, if you have not seen the movie. I’ll tell you what I mean.

The logical stages of experiencing this ride should be as such:
1. Enter an NORMAL, dragon free Gringotts building and continue through the AMAZING que filled with animatronic banking goblins and other Harry Potter themed sections. I’m serious, much like the other Harry Potter ride, this queue is filled with so many Easter eggs and moments from the Wizarding World, you would even notice the long wait. On the whole I love that Amusement Parks are going the extra mile on the ques; it’s just so much more engaging to the ride and experience in general. The only downside is that people who don’t want to ride a thrill ride might miss out.

2. Experience the pre show that sets the table for the adventure you are about to have. Of course there is some weird reason for you to be there and some crazy amount of danger that you’ll be facing, but most Potter fans will know what direction things are going in.

3. Finally board your mine cart that takes you on a thrilling ride through the lowest depths of the Gringotts Bank where you see some important scenes from the movie playout around you while facing some well known Death Eaters (bad guys) of your own.

4. Leave the attraction to see the newly freed fire breathing Dragon that was just freed in the adventure you partook in.

Now I realize it would be impossible to only include the dragon on the top of the attraction AFTER you ride the ride and even if there was a way to do it, I’m not sure I would like it give that it provides some amazing ambiance for the area, but seeing the dragon before the ride kid of ruins the continuity of it all.

An interesting bit of Park trivia is that Damhnall Gleeson joins Chris Pratt in the rather unique position of being featured in rides at both Universal Studios (Playing Bill Weasley, your guide throughout the attraction) and at Disney (Playing General Hux) in the Rise of the Resistance ride.

I’ve only had a chance to ride Escape from Gringotts twice and if I’m being honest I had a rather lackluster initial opinion of it from the first ride. I’m not sure if I was expecting something different, or was put off by the overuse of screens, but it just didn’t wow me. That said I came around on it after the second time we rode a few years later and overall really enjoyed the experience.

Pros: As with any S.H. Figuarts, Hermione is everything that a high end Japanese collectable action figure should be. Tons of detail featuring a young Emma Watson as the best witch of their year, from the Philosopher's Stone movie, a good amount of articulation for all the poses you would want and a lot of cool accessories including some different face expressions, a want, the titular Philosopher's Stone, so school supplies and a bunch of hands to hold them all.

Cons: While I like the overall design, I would rather have a figure from the later years; perhaps from the third, much better movie. I suppose there is no telling what and when S.H. Figuarts might do, so nothing is out of the question at this point. Also, the figure has a loose ball joint on her torso that often comes apart.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping