Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 04:15 PM   #8
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: DC Multiverse Infinite Frontier Robin Unmasked Gold Label Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
I think McFarlane's release strategy was initially a sucess, and helped to boost the line. Along with the lower price compared to other retail lines.

However I think, now, that strategy is starting to hurt the line. The initial "hey I loved that storyline" really differentiated the line, and offered figures of never released designs/characters. However the line has been mostly "Bat" related characters, and newer, storyline specific waves. That is great if the storyline is popular, or considered a classic. However a lot of it has been based on very recent storylines which don't necessarily have the deep love of more classic stories. So then how big is the fan base for these waves? I get the logic behind the decision, because how many people want the 1000th version of BTAS Batman, or classic appearance Superman? Especially in a collector focused line. But then you have to juggle the niche looks against the more classic looks, which a lot of fans still clamour for even though they may already have that look a few times over. Also it is time to get a wave that is less reliant of the Bat/Supes characters.

Then don't get me started on this garbage strategy of releasing the same mold twice with either a masked/unmasked head, or a different accessory. Also the fact that the unmasked version seems to usually be the general release, and the masked version is an exclusive? Really? I'm not interested in an unmasked BB Shriek, or Thomas Wayne, but that is the only thing available at general retail.

Anyway, the line has had a fair amount of "gems" but the current trend, in my opinion, has been a lot more "stinkers."
If desperate enough GameStop will just take the figures off shelves and sell them online for cheap like what they did for Lightning collection when they were flooding pegs. Retailers need to find the balance of availability and supply.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping