ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #105
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

Hasbro: Transformers Age of Extinction- Optimus Prime

Optimus here is a touchpoint for me, not only does he represent my last Age Of Extinction Transformer to open, he also could possibly be my last Transformer "Movie" figure ever. Somewhat bittersweet given that the previous movie figures have been both amazing and dismal with Hasbro's current 'Mainline' offerings leaning more to the dismal side. Understanding that Transformers 5 is in production and a slough of movies will follow, I just don't think I can take another Bay-verse Movie Prime. Granted, this one has a very nice G1 looking vehicle, the fact remains that there are only so many ways that you can make a robot out of a truck while still making it a decent toy; to which this this iteration could certainly be considered. Yes, there are some downsides, but in my opinion this Optimus could be one of the best figures of the entire run, granted this is not a huge feat considering the relative small character line up of AOE.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it with Hound, but I really appreciate the Voyager size class for the AEO line. It provides a good amount of detail and complexity without being bogged down by size, silly electronics and other gimmicks. I also feel that the complexity of the transformation is right on point for me as I'm probably the worst 'transformer-er' ever. Unfortunately there are some issues with the figure, but could be considered nitpick-y. Firstly, the gun is terrible; not sure who thought it was a good idea to mold a weapon with the peg handle under the actual gun handle, but it looks silly and way out of place. I'm also not keen on the spring loaded missile gimmick, but mostly because I keep shooting myself in my face by accident. Secondly, the arms. I'm not sure if this is a common complaint and certainly not a deal breaker, but the arm at the elbow joint is simply awkward. Thirdly, and this could just be mine, but the shoulder doesn't really fit flush; thankful the chest holds it in place, but it's not as good as it could be.

Overall Optimus is a great figure with an incredible blend of G1 goodness and movie-verse ascetic which is fitting as it somewhat closes the circle between the original source material and what the Transformers brand has become. I'm not sure if this is the end of the road for me collecting Movie figures, but it certainly isn't a bad way to go out.

Pros: G1 vehicle mode with Movie-verse robot mode, excellent transformation, decent articulation.

Cons: oversized weapon, awkward elbow joints.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping