Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #2699
Stryfe2026
Cylon Centurion
Re: Star Wars Black Series discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
So long as you are good with scalpers setting aside 8 or 16 of a new figure by phone its fine. I suspect you are not as you offered a complaint about scalpers in the Ahsoka Trooper thread.

I think they should impose reasonable limits on hard to find product.

Stores can set policy, and have in the past.

I also assume the store in question was TRU, as they do offer holds. I don’t think Walmart does.

If its gonna be first come, first serve, I’m good with that. Buy them all. But would you not be upset if someone saw 16 of the new figure on stocktrack, phoned the store and had them all set aside for themselves before they hit store shelves? Then they show up at Local Flea Market store X the next day for double the price?

That would be a by product of this policy if there are not limits.
First off, the poster Wheelwave didn’t set a number, he said several. Secondly, this would be Walmart as these are their exclusives. Walmart typically doesn’t set stuff aside unless a manager signs off on it, and they again set the policy. Would I be upset if my stores entire stock went to someone who then sold them for a much higher markup? Absolutely, but it’s jealousy not anything else. Most stores understand this and set reasonable holds on items that have intrinsic value, but rationally most stores don’t care about collectors; revenue is revenue. Scalpers is an erroneous term anyways, opportunists fits better. Collecting has always attracted opportunists; should we be upset with everyone on Marketplace or Kijiji or EBay who prices their item according to market value? A market value that is set by those same people by the way. Again, I’d be more upset at Hasbro, as their limited production, poor communication and dedication to this type of exclusives model always brings hurt feelings.
It’s unfortunate for Wheelwave that someone in his area is buying up all the figures. I have been in that situation where I missed getting something because people hid or bought everything. As I also said in another thread, they may restock in the future, possibly around Christmas.
Stryfe2026 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping