ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: 1/60 Macross Reviews

The SV-51 is the enemy valk from Macross Zero, the prequel to the famous Macross series from the 80's. This particular one was piloted by Nora Polyansky. It's in the 1/60 scale by Yamato.

1.JPG

This thing is massive. It's about 16 inches long, with a 13 inch wingspan. It comes with extra missiles, a rubbery Nora, and "fast packs" as well as a large stand with multiple attachments for its various modes. It comes with an instruction book, as well as a full sticker sheet. But unlike other Yamato valks, there's no need to really apply most of them.

2.jpg3.JPG

The SV-51 is a great looking bird. Lots of detail, very tight, nothing hangs off except perhaps the right wing, which seems a little floppy to me. If you turn it upside down, it flops about. It's the only fault with this figure, so I guess I won't be doing any barrel rolls anytime soon with this toy. (The loose wing is something well known to be a problem with this toy.) You can't see it here, but the gun attaches easily beneath the figure in fighter mode.

4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

Like the other Yamato valks, the cockpit is one of the best parts of this toy. It's so detailed, and the rubbery Nora figure is fully painted. The canopy also lacks the "rainbow" detailing that the VF-1S had. The fighter mode is definitely the best of the three.

7.JPG8.JPG

The gerwalk mode is the weakest. The transformation is cool and pretty easy, though all the spikey parts make it a little difficult to do without poking yourself. As you can see, it is a bit difficult to set the wings proper, as they tend to sag a little.

9.JPG10.JPG

The battroid mode is awesome. Very posable, though it takes a little getting used to. I didn't realize the legs locked in at the hips until after a half an hour of struggling with the floppy legs. Once they're locked in, the toy is fine.

11.JPG12.JPG13.JPG

Finally, here it is all geared up and on the stand.

14.JPG

This toy is an amazing display piece. The sheer size of it alone is just impressive on a shelf. All in all, I'd say this is a fantastic figure. However, the steep price of it is a bit much. When it first came out, with the currency conversion and cost to ship it from Japan, this figure could cost in excess of $250. I got this during HLJ's sale, where it was massively discounted, and managed to pay only about $100 plus shipping, which is an amazing deal on this toy.

Last edited by pud333; 10-06-2010 at 11:57 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping