ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #1326
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

810-2
Diamond Select- Pirates of the Caribbean: Captain Jack Sparrow.

Well I?d have to address this eventually I guess and what better time than for a review figure based on the character that he is perhaps most well known for originating. As of this writing, the current defamation trial of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard is currently underway and it is receiving a ton of coverage through all media sites. I assume that by the time this review is posted it will be long over, so sorry for bringing up something that was thankfully long over, but it is certainly a current topic of interest and on my mind. I?m not going to get too much into it, nor am I going to rail against one party as there are enough other places on the internet taking care of that, but I will say that it?s disappointing for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I hate that this is a case that the general population is so enthralled in. Yes they are celebrities and we all like a peek into their lives, but I can?t help feeling like it is just a distraction from the more important issues in the world. I?m also not sure why there is such fierce defense on either side given that these celebrities are not our friends and the decision has very little bearing on our lives.

Secondly, this was clearly an abusive relationship, but I don?t feel that it was one sided as both seemed to be horrible throughout the relationship.

Thirdly, it?s unfortunate that one party was immediately called a brave survivor and the other vilified as an abuser. I think it is important to believe women, but I also think it is important to verify claims as it has become clear that some claims are miss-represented or complete bogus. Now again as mentioned above, I believe both were horrendous through the relationship, but why was Depp fired from both Wizarding World and potentially Pirates while Heard was kept on for Aquaman 2?

Lastly, and this is where my own personal bias comes into play given that I actually like Depp as an actor. Jack Sparrow is one of my favorite characters so the decision to move forward with out the star of the franchise is a bit of a bummer. I couldn't care less about Aquaman, nor Heard, so while I?m not sure Depp will be a bankable product anytime soon, I hope that he eventually can put this behind him and move on.

Pros: I love the Pirates movies and was very surprised to see Diamond release a Jack Sparrow figure seemingly out the blue. I mean, given his current issue, I doubt we will see another anytime soon, but that is a different story. In any case, I really love this figure. Diamond provided a great sculpt with some nice detail throughout, a good amount of usable articulation, and sword and a boat deck set piece that can only be described as rather large for the one figure.

Cons: I believe that this figure was based on the most recent movie and likely could have included a few more accessories suited to the character. A bottle of Rum and a musket would be my hope, but alas we got a huge plastic boat deck instead. I have to wonder if there were plans for more characters to fit on the deck, but as far as I know this is a one and done release for Diamond.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping