ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
cloud
Master of the Universe
Re: G.I.Joe Retaliation Movie Discussion(Spoilers)

I liked GI Joe Retaliation. Sure I can name a lot of better action movies but this is a GI Joe movie based on a toyline. I won't be asking much in terms of a good story. This movie is more catering towards mindless action flick with characters that stand out. Right from the first trailer when Roadblock said "There's one person we can trust." it's Bruce Willis. He plays the real "GI Joe" in this movie but Bruce Willis is Bruce Willis. It's like casting Willis as Alfred Pennyworth, his celebrity status outshines the character. Some people may be taken away by it but it is what it is. They want an action star in the movie and for me, somehow including Bruce Willis in the movie sounded fun.
From the trailers it seemed like the story might be all over the place with Cobra taking over the whitehouse, Ninja fights and the military scenes but the overall plot was able to combine all these elements into one general story.

I too didn't understand why Duke had to die in this movie other than for Roadblock having more screen time. I think this movie follows up the first run quite well. The style was a bit more serious than the giant toy commercial - Rise of Cobra. This one still feels like a toy commercial but at least the weapons don't feel so goofy.
I don't think this movie is trying to retcon or reboot anything (Besides having Stormshadow well and fine after what happened in the first movie) but rather attempting to use a better tone to make a better story.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping