Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 01:31 AM   #2972
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: Star Wars Black Series discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewton View Post
That’s just objectively false. Only one film they made flopped and that's Solo. TLJ which was more profitable than R1 ($417m in profits vs $319m) was the highest grossing film of 2017 even with three other MCU films, and also beat Black Panther to be #1 in home video sales in 2018. TROS could have done a lot better but even that did over a billion and made $300m in profits. It was disappointing, but no where near a flop.

I'm not sure we can really have great comparisons yet of Mando and ST sales given that there's been way more ST figures since 2015 and Mandalorian only started last year. Mando himself is obviously a hot seller, and baby Yoda is very popular. But beyond that, I've seen Cara Dune and the IG droid both peg warming, and I doubt the Greef Karga or Ugnaught figures will sell particularly well in stores. Overproduction/stocking too I think was more of a problem for the sequel merchandise.

I think LFL kind of shoot themselves in the foot in regards to the merchandise by not giving Hasbro and companies the spoilery designs - which are often cooler than the stuff we get - because they're so scared of leaks. We should have had Crait Luke ready to go within the first few months of TLJ, the Emperor and his new red guards shortly after TROS, baby Yoda in December last year, and Cobb Vanth, Ahsoka, and others from Mando S2 this winter. I miss back in 2005 during the ROTS days when we got stuff like burnt Anakin and Governor Tarkin in the summer.
I think the big problem was Hasbro flooded the market too much using collector lines like Black Series Collection to sell their 6 inch tie in figures instead of just making a separate 6 inch line for their tie in toys. Which was kinda scummy on Hasbro's part. From like 2015-2019 It was more like Star Wars the Sequel Trilogy collection than anything else. So tons of insignificant figures were made wave after wave which resulted in a lot of peg warmers from those films. I think if they just only made a few core characters and threw them into a wave or 2 leading up to the films it would have maybe had better results. The figures are peg warming from the Mando CC cause Hasbro was being dumb and thought it was a good idea to give Mandolorian its own subline and overstock the figures. I think Hasbro is honestly thinking that just cause the show is doing really well the merchandise will do really well which is just BS. Let's be honest here, the Mandolorian has brought a lot of casuals on board who don't collect or if they would buy something it would be a Baby Yoda or a Mando for their desk or something. So the rest of the toys are only being bought by Star Wars Collectors and maybe the odd collector that is out of his element but enjoyed the Mandolorian enough to buy into it.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 11-23-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Zeroflamez is online now   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping