ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #84
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

2-012
Diamond Select Toys- Minimates: Star Trek: Enterprise and Captain Kirk

And now something a bit different. It’s hard to believe this far in and I haven't featured anything from Star Trek. Granted I'm a bit late to the party as I was never a big fan opting for the much cooler (in my mind) Star Wars. That quickly changed when I saw JJ Abrams’ Star Trek movie and it lead me to a literal world of amazing sci-fi content. Since then I have watched all TNG & Voyager seasons multiple times, and still working on DS9. Not sure if I'll ever make it through TOS or Enterprise, but maybe someday. This review is a bit timely with Star Trek Discovery on the horizon as well as the announcement that new trek toys are being released by Mcfarlane toys; set my phaser to excited!

As with many of my figures there is a bit of a story as to how I was able to pick this set up; I was on vacation in Florida (Same trip as the Jyn Vinylmation) and on a supply run to Target we happened on a ROSS Dress for Less store and had to have a look. As it’s not something we have in Canada there is often things that we can’t get for really cheap. (As a general rule we also love to look at the shoe department to find and try on the massive size 20 shoes that are often on sale. Not sure why, but it always makes me laugh.) We have been in a number of ROSS Dress for Less stores, but I have never seen one this cramped, this busy and this destroyed. Granted it would seem reasonable that store closest to a busy place like Disney World would be equally busy, but it was nearly unbearable. However, imagine my surprise when I found this little $10 gem hiding in the “toy department”; Dimond in the rough indeed. (points for a Disney reference).

It’s a bit odd as the Mini Mates crazy never quite hit Canada, but they are kinda nice, especially when sold together as a figure and a vehicle. Certainly not competition for Lego or Mega Bloks, but would nice to see a few more options. A few years ago I was able to pick up a Picard and Borg 2 pack, but that was about it.

This set includes a poseable TOS Kirk, Chair and a cute little enterprise with a display stand and looks pretty good all together. My only grip is that there are stickers to apply (a pain for these shaky, fat fingers) and that there are no other crew members to join him.

Pros- Everything that a TOS fan would enjoy.

Cons- Need to apply stickers and lack of crew members to join him

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping