Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 03:13 AM   #4765
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
Let's be clear as there is a difference if you were to pay anything on an order as there's always a risk you will almost every single time pay taxes only on the value of the shipment. Duties are a different thing and typically aren't charged on toys unless they fall under specific categories.

If the toys have electronics they can be subjected to a average duty rate of 8.5% but it can range from 0-35%. Those may have changed but that's the numbers I recall.

There of course also fees if they open the package or Canada Post has to collect the fees on behalf of the CBSA. And most importantly if you get brokerage fees via UPS or FedEx for example and don't feel like paying them and live near a CBSA office you can get the carrier to hold the package get the paperwork from them, take it to the CBSA and pay the taxes owing and then go pickup the package from where it's being held to avoid those brokerage fees.

A few options available to you. But duties and taxes are two very different things but both can be applied to a shipment.
With the high volume of packages the CBSA has to sort through everyday, even more so with covid. Most times it isn't even worth them going through the trouble of hitting lower valued goods with duties/tax. They are more concerned about the high valued parcels and big shipments more than anything else. The only times I've ever really had to pay duty or tax on anything was if my order was shipped through FedEx or DHL. If it was sent through regular postal services 98% of the time it just slipped under the radar and I paid no additional fees. What you said about there being the risk of paying taxes almost every single time on an import order just isn't true at all.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 01-02-2022 at 03:16 AM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping