ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #116
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

2-039
Hasbro- Star Wars- The Black Series: Luke Skywalker

This may be hard to believe, but I have 95% of the Hasbro Black Series released (Still missing Yoda and Anakin and a few other exclusives) and I have not opened one… that is until now. Given that I finally have room I figured now would the time to start on these guys, in order of release.

I’m going to start off by saying I love the Black Series Figures. Yes the 3¾ inch figures will always have a place in my collection, especially as the first toys I ever collected, but I have really come to embrace the size and detail of Hasbro’s latest offerings. In fact, most of my collection in recent years has been in the 6” size range, with only random 3¾ thrown into the mix. Yes, releases are a bit more sporadic and the price is certainly higher, but I feel like more can be accomplished with the larger size class. As a funny aside, my first jump into a larger size class was the long defunct GIJOE Sigma 6 line of 8” figures; how I wish Hasbro would release a
line of GiJoe Black Series figures…

As an initial release from the first wave of figures, it seems totally reasonable that Hasbro would choose Luke to lead the way, but what does seem odd is that they released this version. Certainly iconic, but given that this line was unproven it makes you wonder why any other, more recognizable, Luke’s did not get the spot. Granted, this was the same company that decided to release Leia in a bikini years before any other version so I suppose we have to take that into consideration.

Accessory wise, Luke comes with everything you would expect including a Blaster, Lightsaber (with removable blade) and a helmet that looks almost perfect when worn. Face sculpt looks decent (although I’m not really a stickler for that type of thing) and the details on the flight suit, including the hoses and straps, are fantastic. Articulation is pretty standard on for all 6” figures, but I was happy to see ankle tilts that allow for decent posing. One slight downside is that I have become so used to double elbow joints that having a single one seems odd, but this is only because Marvel Legends has spoiled us in the past few years.

Pros: Pretty well everything.

Cons: Limited range on the elbows.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping