ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 02-11-2023, 02:02 PM   #1521
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

S-39
Hasbro: GI Joe Classified- Kamakura

Apparently Kamakura debuted in 2003 which was a very dark time for Canadian Joe Collectors given that we had nothing on the shelves for years on end. I?m not really sure why we were left out, but aside from a hand full of classic style ARAH figures and some really bad ?Power of the Force 2? style 2 packs, GI Joe didn?t see a whole lot of love in Canada until Sigma Six which was a VERY polarizing way to re-launch the brand, but I digress: that (S6) was where I was first introduced to Kamakura. For those still wondering who this new ninja is, the long and short of his story is that he is a student of Snake Eyes. According to Wikipedia his backstory was developed in the Devil's Due comic line and as such predictably convoluted:

Kamakura (G.I. Joe) - Wikipedia

All that is to say, the backstory of Sigma 6?s Kamakura was basically nil so he was basically an open book to me. That said, quick point of annoyance- why did they make him caucasian? Could have been an easy lay-up for Hasbro to diversify the Ninja?s in their ranks, but to be far, I doubt they thought this random character would have any kind of staying power.

Pros: As a ?DELUXE? amazon exclusive I was a bit worried that my pre-order would not be filled, but it seems that both Hasbro and Amazon have upped their supply for new figures. Overall I am impressed with the sculpt, accessories and different accessory/elements that he comes with. Also, I appreciate the addition of a cardboard foot locker storage container. Yes it's just cardboard, but the idea is reminiscent of the old plastic foot locker containers that came with the deluxe Sigma 6 figures.

Cons: I am a strong believer that if a figure comes with an accessory, they should be able to hold on to it all; knives should have sheaths, guns should have holsters and swords should have scabbards, but Kamakura can only hold a few items. Also, points off for alternative heads that just sit in storage.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping