ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #104
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

2-035
Disney Elite Series- Star Wars: Rey

Another amazing Disney Store premium elite figure and Rey is another fantastic figure in the line. In truth, I was a bit hesitant to pick her up as I was not sure how her doll aesthetics and features would work on this type of figure, but overall I was really impressed. Again, this is not a Hot Toys level figure, but also does not carry a Hot Toys level price tag.

As with the other figures in the line she's decked out with screen accurate soft goods that fit and flow pretty well. She is also the first that I have opened with realistic hair (or rather doll hair) in her familiar tri-ponytail style. She also comes with a number of familiar accessories including backpack, staff, blaster lightsaber and hands to hold it all. The articulation is decent and allows for a good range of movement, but could benefit from a better neck joint. Another minor thing is that the staff doesn’t have a usable strap, again these are minor things that would make a great figure even better.

This might be a hot take on the toy industry, or more specifically action figures in general, but Rey is prime example of why the industry is completely broken and dying. Not because it’s a poor example of what can be offered, but rather a good example of the direction for where the industry should be going. Think about it; for years there has been and continues to be a division between boys and girls toys with the former being male dominated, war type figures while the later is more defined by fashion and style. Rey and her female linemates, are perfect blend of both worlds; a truly great figure that would appeal to anyone who is a Star Wars fan.

Unfortunately that is not enough for consumers who have been taught from a young age that boys have boy toys and girls have girl toys, This line, that had a fairly equal Male to Female ratio, (4 to 3) just didn’t fit into that paradigm and ultimately failed. I can’t blame Disney either; they are a company tasked with making profits and not changing the minds of consumers. As someone who is onboard with seeing more female representation in action figures, it’s nice to see lines like DC Superhero Girls and the Star Wars Destiny figures on the shelves. The are still very much “doll” type figures, but a step in the right direction. That said, perhaps the line died because the scale was weird and Disney couldn’t simply charge enough money to cover the cost.

[/rant]

Pros: Nice sculpt, good articulation and usable accessories all for an amazing price.

Cons: Some limited articulation issues and like the other figures in this now dead line of figures and has an odd scale.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping