ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #578
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

344-2
DC Collectibles- DC Icons: Static

Continuing my quest to re-watch all the DC Animated features to date and give some thoughts regarding 3 key touchpoints: Animation Style, Voice Acting & Story. These are really just rough notes as I watched the movie and might not make a whole lot of sense unless you have recently watched it. See 290-2, 303-2, 318-2 & 331-2 for my previous instalments.

Green Lantern First flight 2009

Animation Style: Overall I think the animation of First Flight is amazing and some of the best I’ve seen on any of the DC animated Features. It has a nice “Timm-verse” animation style, but also upgraded with very fluid movements. Also kudos to the team or person responsible for animating all the smoke/dust; it looks incredible.

Voice acting: All the voice actors fit well to the roles and for the most part are really well done. While I prefer Nathan Fillion, Christopher Meloni (from Law and Order SVU and Gordon in the new Harley Quinn series) does a good job as Hal Jordan. Victor Garber (Plays one half of Firestorm in DC Legends of Tomorrow show) is bad ass as Sinestro, Tricia Helfer (Known for Battlestar Galactica, Black Cat from Spectacular Spiderman and nerd’s dreams) plays Boodikka who is the only female lead and John Larroquette (known for Night Court) plays Tomar Re.

Story- If you don’t like long drawn out origin stories this movie is for you given that Hal becomes the GL within the first 4 minutes. It really showcases the alien side to the Green Lantern mythos. I have not seen Training Day, but I assume it’s like this with Sinestro playing the Bad cop. Again, this movie is a little condensed throwing years of Green Lantern stories into the span of 2-3 days. That said I am glad that Sinestro becomes the Yellow Lantern by the end. I also found it curious that they made Boodikka his partner in crime as I am not sure if that is comic accurate. Overall I would have liked to see a bit more building to the Darkest Night/Brightest day storyline as I think it would have worked really well in this format.

Pros: Another fantastic Icons figure with an outstanding sculpt, really nice metallic paint job, and great accessories including 2 nicely sculpted heads (I prefer the Malcolm X hat), a electricity effect and manhole cover that he rides around on. Also, and I’m not sure why Static is the only one like this, he does have a swivel joint on his calve; doesn’t make up for no thigh swivel, but it’s a start.

Cons: My biggest gripe is that he doesn’t stand well on the manhole cover and it looks as though he is just kind of standing there. Also I seem to recall him being shown with an overcoat when he was first solicited. Not sure that would have improved the figure either way, but more accessories never hurt anyone. Also, Icons still suffer from lack of thigh swivel and figure size issues, but at this point it really doesn’t bother me.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping