Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #22
wedge1021
Mutant
Re: Star Wars Black Series Clearance @ Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Personally I feel like the line was far more successful when they weren't focusing nearly every new wave around the latest movie being released and since moving to the new black and red packaging we have been seeing far more figures warming pegs than in the past (obviously some exceptions apply) and more figures getting carried over from one wave to the next and often that figure was never hard to obtain in the first place.

I don't want to say the line is dying but I know for a fact that my interest in it has pretty much died since TFA figures were released..and up until that point I was army building troopers and everything else was on a "one to rock and one to stock" basis. What do you guys think?
Total agreement with you here. I was buying them by the case and picking up extra army builders on the side up until the Ep7 figures started. After that, I only cherry picked the non-sequel figures. I'll pretty much buy anything OT or even PT related, but the sequel-era holds zero interest to me. For awhile there it seemed like I was getting one, maybe two figures a wave max. Some waves none at all.

For comparison, I think Hasbro handles the Marvel Legends line much better. When there's a new movie out, they do one or two waves with a focus on that movie, and then move on to something else. They do a very good job of mixing in comics-style figures, even within a movie-focused wave. Lots of 2-packs, box sets, etc. Yes there are some waves that hang around for longer than others, but I think that is more due to over-production / over-ordering from retailers. And the best part is, there is basically zero carry-forward figures. I can buy each wave by the case, and the worst I have to deal with is 1 or 2 double-packed figures. They do re-use molds and re-release certain characters a lot, but most of the time they are at least different versions so there's a little bit of incentive to pick them up. And I haven't even mentioned the Build-a-Figures.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping