Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #33
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: Macross Toy Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy76 View Post
The SDF-1 does look like an amazing toy, it's just too much for my budget. The only flaw lookslike the lack of paint apps. the takeoff\landing decks look great, i think a little shading would have gone a long way to bring that fantastic detail out.

Thanks for the photos!
No prob! Yeah, some panel lining or shading would have been perfect. I suppose a skilled model guy could do it, but I would just mess it up.

As for price, I know someone on TFW that got one shipped for $280 USD. It was a used one from Mandarake. For those that don't know Mandarake is an online site for retailers in Japan that sell used items, usually displayed pieces. They currently have two on sale, for 18,000 yen and 20,000 yen, which would put it about $240-$260 + shipping, which I gather would be about $50-$55. A brand new one would cost over $400 shipped. That's quite some savings for those that want to try.

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en...sdf-1+1%2F3000

I can't personally vouch for the quality of the toys being sold, but I have it from various other people who have bought stuff that Mandarake is legit. I plan to try Mandarake to snag a VF-19 Kai at some point in the future. And if they ever release a TV version of the SDF-1, if it has new tooling to make it anime accurate, then I might have to pick that up too, but only second hand since I don't think I could justify another $400.

For the record, the unassembled SDF-1 is going brand new online for 15,800 yen (approx $210). I suspect if it took me 2.5 hours to put the little plastic pieces in, trying to assemble the whole thing by oneself would take days.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep my 1/5000 WAVE SDF-1, since it looks so... tiny in comparison...

Last edited by pud333; 10-20-2011 at 06:17 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping