ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: 1/60 Macross Reviews

Next is the VF-0S, the precursor to the famous VF-1. This one is piloted by none other than Roy Focker.

1.JPG

It comes with missiles, fastpacks, a rubbery Roy Focker, and attachments for the Yamato stand you have to buy separately. It also comes with an instruction book and sticker sheet.

2.jpg3.JPG

As you can see, it bears a lot of resemblance to the VF-1. It's more bulkier, larger, less sleek, much like what you'd expect from an early model. The fast packs attach via small magnets, unlike the VF-1S, which uses clips to attach the fast packs. This is very cool, though less stable when trying to fly the plane around (and yes, I did fly it around accompanied by various WHOOSH-ing sounds. I'm not afraid to admit it ). The gun is stowed beneath the plane in fighter mode.

4.JPG5.JPG6.jpg

The cockpit is very detailed, like the others. It even has a separate clear plastic H.U.D. piece, and bears resemblance more to a traditional cockpit. The best part is the fact that the seat can recline about twenty degrees, to accommodate the change in angle when transforming to gerwalk or battroid mode. Very cool. Like the SV-51, it also lacks the "rainbow" detailing, which I personally prefer. It makes the toy just pop.

7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG

Gerwalk mode. Nothing too different. The transformation is nearly identical to the VF-1S. The shoulder joints were incredibly stiff when I first took him out. I had heard of breakage from other collectors and I was paranoid I'd do the same, so I had to take a screwdriver and loosen the screws slightly. This seemed to work wonders and I haven't had any problems with it.

10.JPG11.JPG

Battroid mode. As you can see, it is much bigger than its little brother, but still smaller than the SV-51. The SV-51 towers over everything. Very leggy.

12.JPG

Final comparison in fighter mode. All three are in the 1/60 scale.

13.JPG

The only problem with this toy is the fact that it's not as tight as the other two. In fighter mode, the nose sags a little due to the weight, and the legs aren't tight on the toy. Overall, I'm not too impressed. There's nothing that stands out. The VF-1S is nearly perfect. The SV-51 is almost as good. This one... there's something missing. Maybe it's because there's supposed to be an extra add-on set that includes the Ghost booster that I have yet to get. (I've preordered it, and it should be here in a month or two).

Given the chance to do it over again, I would buy it again, but perhaps wait for a better sale. Still, it's Roy Focker's first Valkyrie, and that counts for something in my books due to him being my favorite pilot. I also got this figure on sale at HLJ for $150 + shipping.

Last edited by pud333; 10-07-2010 at 12:07 AM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping