ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #260
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

001-R
Kenner- Star Wars- Power of the Force: Obi Wan (Long Saber)
Release Date (approx): 1995
Current Price and availability: $9.99
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Obi.../dp/B001RE11XI

In an effort to keep things interesting with these reviews I thought it might be fun to start a series of RETRO reviews of some of my more memorable figures that I have acquired throughout the 21 years of activity collecting. I’ll keep it to Thursday posts, but given my current streak I wouldn't count on it. If instagram is your thing, feel free to follow me @ teamjetfire . Pretty well the same thing, but I do a little 360 degree videos and include the odd Disney post too. I’m not going to provide a whole lot of history on each item because I just don’t have that kind of time, but will write more my own experience with the piece; hope you enjoy!

It’s not too often that a person can pinpoint the moment when something changed their life, but I feel that this figure represents something that has been the longest, most consistent thing in my existence to date: toy collecting. That might sound a bit crazy (and it is), but consider this: toy collecting predates my career (15 years), my kids (eldest is 17) and even my relationship with my wife (whom I started dating in High School over 20 years ago). I suppose some of the blame lies with my brother who gifted Obi-Wan, along with the POTF Tie Fighter for Christmas to me all the way back in 1995. At that time Star Wars had faded away from pop culture (save a few devoted fans) and when this toy line was released it ignited a bit of a passion for Star Wars and toy collecting in general. I stayed true to Star Wars for a long time but eventually branched out ot other flavors, but will always have a soft spot for this figure and remember fondly this time in my life.

Pros: It was my first collectable figure ever and started my hobby, has a decent face sculpt and I like Jedi robe effect with the soft rubber tunic.

Cons: Was part of the fabbelled long saber crew, only 5 points of articulation and has a really difficult time standing up.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping