ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #436
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

017-R
ReSaurus- Quake 2: Alien Stoogg Tank
Approx Release Date: 1998
Current price and availability: $48.00 https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1998-ReSauru...wAAOSwrxFdFkX1

Well this is an oldie but a goodie. Back in what I consider the Macfarlane age of collectables there were a handful of other companies trying their hand at toy production, often to mixed results. Not to say that ReSaures didn’t make a decent figure, but perhaps they chose the wrong piece of pop culture to work with thereby making the consistent releases a little difficult to keep up with. For example, how many Quake 2 figures could they possibly make? Incidentally I feel like Fortnight figures might be heading down the same road, but the reverberations will be huge given the sheer volume of figures that can be found everywhere. In their relatively short time, in addition to Quake 2, ReSaurus Toys were able to nab a few video game franchises including Street Fighter, Sonic and Crash Bandicoot and release a hand full of waves that I’m sure were popular with the collectors who were clamoring for them as they were not the type of pop culture that the big players like Hasbro or Mattle would have touched.

To be honest I can’t recall when or even where I picked up these figures (I got the whole series) and I’m not entirely sure why given that I never even played the game, but boy did they look cool. Alien Stogg Tank specifically is easily the best of the bunch as his sheer size, weight and amazing detail was well worth the $10-$15 that I probably picked him up for.

Pros: The Stoogg Tank is a very impressive figure. Firstly it’s extremely hefty and has some weight to it. Not to say that makes it a good toy, but given the current trend of hollowing out figures, it sure gives him a quality feel. Secondly, and this has much to do with this weight, but he’s a very tall figure. Keep in mind that he was not a build a figure or a more “deluxe” release, he cost the same as the other figures. Thirdly is the detail in the sculpt and paint: it is outstanding. There is organic material sculpted with mechanical appendages that have this great battle damaged look. Check out the working mechanical cogs under the removable panel on the thigh and the spring loaded ankle joints; there was no need for this at all except to give the figure a really cool look.

Cons: For the time this figure likely bested any MacFarlane figure, but similarly there were some short falls. The articulation is rather limited for the size thus making multiple poses a bit difficult. Also, for whatever reason, they decided to connect the neck rotation to the shoulder rocket launcher making him look where he aims. Problem is that both are fairly loose and always falls to the side.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping