ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #399
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

224-2
Hasbro- GI Joe- The Pursuit of Cobra: Skydive.

Does anyone remember GI Joe Sky Patrol? It was a subline of Gi Joe in the early 90’s that basically took existing air based vehicles and covered them in chrome. They were released with a small group of air based Gi Joe figures that all came with their one parachute and huge backpack to store it in. In continuity the chrome was supposed to be some type of armour, but I think this was part of Hasbro’s shift to a more Sci-Fi based toy line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_4tL5wO_BY

I Never cared for the vehicles, but was lucky enough to have Static Line as I thought he was probably the best of the bunch, but would have loved more as they all looked pretty great. Skydive was actually a member or the Sky Patrol, but its not clear if this these are counted as the same guy. That said, I would hope that under this newer versions mask is a glorious 80’s mustache just like his 80’s namesake.

Pros: Skydive here ticks a lot of boxes for what I look for in a great Gi Joe figure and it is clear that I would have gravitated to him when I was a kid playing with GI Joe. He’s a Halo Jumper, (basically a high altitude paratrooper which is something that I always loved the idea of) with missiles attached to his wings that I assume can be used some level of flight during re-entry. What kid would not like that? Skydive is also packed with accessories that pretty well guarantees hours of fun for any kid wanting to playout their own little mission for him. Sadly it’s clear that current toys don’t really have the same play value anymore.

Cons: Funny to say after I just praised all his “stuff”, but he’s basically imobile when he’s geared up. And while this is asking a lot, It would have been cool if they included a parachute of some kind.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping