ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #875
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

518-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Pixar: Dory

I’m continuing my quest to watch and review the entire Disney Animation collection to date. See reviews 429-2, 434-2, 456-2 461-2, 484-2 & 513 for previous entries.

Saludos Amigos- 1943

The first of a number “Package Films” released during World War 2, the development of Saludos Amigos was directly tied to the growing relationship between South American Nations and Nazi Germany. Apparently the US Government tasked the Disney company to take a trip down to various South American nations to build some goodwill with the mutually beneficial goal to A) combat the rise of fascism. (US GOV’T) B) recoup market share from lost markets in Europe from World War 2 (Disney). C) Showcase South America as a tourist destination (South American Nations). Hard to say if it worked for the first two given that a lot of Nazi’s relocated to SA, Disney continued to have financial difficulties through war time, but SA certainly is a tourist destination for many people and a place that I would eventually like to visit. At any rate, there is way more details on Wikipedia if you want to learn more.

As mentioned, this movie is the start of the Disney Package films which is a term to denote a group of a few animated shorts that are packaged together as one feature film. They typically have a short running time and a very loose narrative throughout, but have a theme nevertheless. That theme for Saludos Amigos is a sort of travel log for key places throughout South America. The first short involves Donald Duck vacationing and learning about the hilariously named Lake Titicaca that is located between Peru and Bolivia. It’s a fun start to the film, but probably my least favorite of the lot. The second short, which is my second favorite given that I used to read this story to my kids at bedtime, is the story of a little plane named Pedro. Pedro was tasked with picking up the mail from a hub that was located on the other side of the largest mountain ranges in Chile. Outside of my nostalgic love for the film, I think it’s a good story with a fun ending. The third story is actually my favorite and involves Goofy taking on the role of an Argentinian Gaucho. Much like the “How to” Goofy shorts from the era, this is just an enjoyable watch. Lastly and third favorite features Donald Duck again with a fairly well known new-comer Jose Carioca, who makes an appearance in another package film and a ride at Epcot, while they enjoy the party atmosphere of Carnival in Rio de Janeiro. This one is a touch more abstract, but works well with the Music.

Overall Saludos Amigos is a really enjoyable set of shorts that each stand on there own. If you can spare the 60 or so minutes I highly recommend it.

Pros: Dory is another fine Disney Infinity figurine with an exceptionally expressive sculpt and nice looking base. I’m not a huge fan of the Nemo movies, but I can’t not love this little piece.

Cons: As I learned from the previous Boba Fett figure, these Infinity figures do not do well in a packaged prison as the plastic tends to deteriorate. It’s less important for me given that I’m not a MISB collector, but makes me wonder how these figures are going to last in the long term.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping