ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #22
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: Macross Toy Reviews

Bandai's DX Chogokin Robot Damashii VB-6 Konig Monster.

This is, flat out, an amazing toy. Amazing. It's mostly plastic, but there is a healthy amount of diecast, mostly in the joints, so when you lift it, you can feel the heft.

20.2.jpg

Fighter mode: The toy comes with some stickers you can put on the sides. I opted for the Sheryl stickers to replicate the movie look of the Monster. Also, it comes with a stand to use in all three modes with different extensions depending on which mode you chose to display it in.

27.jpg28.jpg29.jpg30.jpg

Monster mode: This is the iconic mode from the show. It is wicked. It looks angry and ferocious and just plain mean. There is a back hatch which, in the anime, comes down and braces against the ground or wall so when the Monster shoots from its large cannons, it doesn't get blown back. However, as you can see, the toy version doesn't quite work out. The back hatch barely touches the ground.

21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg

Battroid mode: I don't recall ever seeing this mode in the show. It is easily the weakest mode, and I probably won't ever be displaying it like this. You can have the guns propped straight up, but I prefer them to be bent forward.

24.jpg25.jpg26.jpg

This is what it's all about:

As you can see the scale works. I believe the Robot Damashii line is a non scale line, however, I recall someone on Macrossworld saying it wasn't quite 1/100, but close enough.

32.jpg33.jpg

In flight:

34.jpg

Final thoughts: I love this toy. Pros: Everything is tight, every joint clicks and falls perfectly into place. It's heavy, it feels like it is worth every penny.

Cons: The back hatch not touching the ground fully... and... I'm just nitpicking. This thing is perfect. When Bandai does something wrong (1/60 VF-25) they really get it wrong, but when they do something right (Monster), they knock it out of the park.

I honestly haven't put this thing down since I got it a few days ago. It originally retailed for close to $200 Cdn, but you can find it at Amiami for 29% off, at about $135. There are two versions for sale, this one, and the special Sheryl version, but that one comes with a larger stand for an extra $45, which is not worth it. get the regular version. Just buy it. You'll be happier for it.

» Action Figure Shopping