ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #170
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

070-2
DC Collectibles- Batman The Animated Series: Robin.

I think I mentioned it before, but Bruce Timm’s Batman the Animated Series from way back in 1992 is my preferred version of the Batman universe which is a testament to how well it has aged. Just for fun I searched out the top ten songs and movies from the same year to see how well those have aged in comparison and I was pretty surprised. Music wise Boyz II Men (End of the Road) was top of the charts with Sir Mix-a-Lot (Baby got Back) and Kris Kross (Jump) right behind. Further down the charts majors acts like Nirvana, U2 and Guns N’ Roses were popular, with staples like Michael Jackson, Madonna and Mariah Carey having multiple hits. While some of these could be considered oldies, I still listen to many of these songs regularly. Movie wise there were less standouts (for me anyways) but do include some heavy’s such as Batman Returns, Aladdin and Reservoir Dogs; all which have aged well IMO. I’m not sure why, but I find this type of info fascinating as it really shows how some things, when they are exceptionally made, can really stick with you for years. If you haven’t recently watched the series, do yourself a favor and re-visit it, especially if you want to get the taste of the new movies out of your system.

This Robin figure has been a long overdue addition to my collection; something that I thank DC Collectibles for. Way back when Kenner released figures for the Animated Series, among the countless suit versions of Batman, there was a Robin figure that I had my eye on because I absolutely loved for the character in the comic. And yes- this was Dick Grayson and not Tim Drake, but the look was basically the same and the character in the series was pretty enjoyable, so he (and other holders of the mantle of Robin) quickly became, and truthfully remains one of, my favorite comic character, even more so than Batman.

As with the other animated series figures, DC Collectibles did a fantastic job with the sculpt of Robin and captures his look perfectly. Articulation is standard for the line and works well for most posing requirements and even feels more sturdy than the first wave, which gives me a bit more confidence in fiddling with him. Accessory wise I was surprised that he came with two capes (one that sits off the shoulder), some hands, a Bat-grapple gun and a whip which comes right out of the cartoon episode Robin’s Reckoning. I was a bit surprised at the lack of a Bat-a-rang as he has a hand that is molded to hold one, but I suppose I can just take from another figure. In a perfect world I would have loved another head with a different expression, but overall there is a good amount of usable stuff.

Pros: Fantastic figure all over with nice articulation and good accessories- perfect for any fan of the original series.

Cons. Another head sculpt would have been nice.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping